Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which of our current squad are good enough for The Championship?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Chapionship No Question:

Gordon Greer
Inigo Calderon
Liam Bridcutt
Gary Dicker
Elliott Bennett

Probably

Casper Ankergren - Comand of area?
Adam El Abd - Postionally good but slow
Marcos Painter - Slow not that mobile
Matt Sparrow - On his way down rather thqan up
Alan Navarro - Slow
Ashley Barnes - Will be in time, maybe not a first choice
Glenn Murray -
Fran Sandaza - From the Bench
Noone
Elphick - Gus's style does not suit his more typicaly English style

The players I believe are not good enough for the Championship are:

Brezovan
Kishishev - Retired
Baz
Battipiedi
Smith
Holroyd
Hart

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
ElAbd's already had significant experience playing in the Championship, hasn't he? 40-some games in '04-05-06?

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
IMO if we gain promotion ,then the whole squad will be survive except Batti ,Baz and Hart,(who may be offered a job at the club ) .Some may leave anyway if Poyet informs them that their chances of 1st team football will be slim . We will need at least 25 first teamers , keeping them all happy must be a nightmare !

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I know he didn't perform against Stoke (Premiership),but against Portsmouth/Watford (Championship) Brezovan did ok,considering the few opportunities he's had.Need to keep him

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
The development squad will look after the young guns (Walker, Dunk, Smith, Holroyd, Agdestein & Caskey) & probably the Argies because that's what it's there for. There will doubtless be additions to the squad & OGH along with Kish are due to retire therefore that's your first two to be replaced.
Others that need replacing are Poke & probably Brez but in reality I actually believe that the rest of them have roles to play as squad members.

So would you say that these following players are not good enough for a Championship squad :

Ankergren
Calderon
Painter
Greer
El Abd
Elphick
McNulty
Bennett
Dicker
Sparrow
Noone
Bridcutt
Navarro
Murray
Barnes

The odd one out is Sandaza but he has proved that he can turn a game around, certainly at this level but his fitness is a doubt.

Plenty on here really love to get stuck into players & deem them inadequate but unless they are actually involved in a football club of an equal stature I think they are just spouting shite because like everyone has an arsehole they also have an opinion, opinions are just like arseholes, everyone has one.

Gus is a master of the game & gets to see the qualities & frailties of all of the current squad & I am sure he'll give the main group a chance to prove themselves whilst bringing in 3 - 4 players who will actually add something to the squad.

Then again I know f*** all !

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Wood isnt even more powerfull than Glen Murray let alone a better player. Yes Wood has potential but thats all it is, if's and maybe's. Glen Murray has been sound in every aspect of being a striker this year hence why is the 1st choice striker at the club. Really not sure how you make Wood a championship player but not Murray ???
I am struggling with that one too hola, Murray over Wood every time. But imo both good enough for the Championship.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Calderon possibly but good No 2
Calderon as above
Painter as above
Greer Yes
El Abd Yes
Elphick No
Bennett Yes
Bridcutt Yes
Dicker possibly but not sure but good back up
Sparrow as Dicker
Murray Probably but we will get a good price for him from a Div 1 club if he doesnt
Barnes good squad player to come on from bench.
Brezovan No
Sandaza No
Battipeidi No
Baz No
Poke No
Walker No
Wood will return to WBA
Kishishev says he is retiring

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
İbrahim Tatlıses;3997045 said:
If you can't see the potential in an 18 year old striker who has become an important first team player for a side firmly at the top of the third tier, scoring goals, getting assists and generally putting in good consistent performances in his first full professional season in England - perhaps you should think back to the Glenn Murray who wasn't playing in such a brilliant side. Glenn Murray is a good player at this level, if he gets a goal scoring opportunity, usually he will score, but so will Chris Wood.

It's perfectly acceptable to assume that Chris Wood will increase exponentially every season for the next few years. He adds more to his game every time I see him. Fully expect him to be a top division striker in the future. Personally I think he is quality already.

Agree with this, he is quality already and will only get better. Similar to a young Emile Heskey (don't laugh) in my opinion, just hope he doesn't lose his finishing ability like Heskey

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Kish, Hart (and Tanno) - out because of age. Baz and Batti - lose them, or send them to a League 2 club on a season's loan to 'shape up or get out' - Poke - no idea if he is any good, but four goalkeepers we don't need (and good to bring through a youngster). Tunnicliffe and McNulty (I didn't even realise he was still our's!) seem to have missed the Gus Bus. The rest, keep unless we get anyone better - of course, a few of this year's first team might have to be benchwarmers next season; if they can't accept that - then ship 'em out.
..................and of course, if Drogba gets pissed off at Chelsea now that Torres has arrived.......................................!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If we do go up can see a new keeper coming in. We need some more pace in defence as well probably at centre back along with cover (or even new) at full backs.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Ankergren. Maybe
Brezovan. Yes.
Poke. ???.
Walker.???
Calderon. Definitely.
Painter. Yes.
Greer. Yes.
ElAbd. Yes.
Elphick. Yes.
Dunk. Probably yes.
McNulty. Cripple.
Bennett. Yes.
Dicker. Yes.
Kish. Retired.
Sparrow. Maybe.
Noone. Yes.
Bridcutt. Yes.
Navarro. Yes, subject to his return to full futness/form.
Baz. No.
Battipiedi. No.
Smith. Possibly.
Murray. Yes.
Barnes. Yes.
Wood. Yes.
Sandaza. Yes.
Holroyd. No.
Hart. No.
Agdestein.???
Caskey. Probably Yes.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I have to admit, i'm not 100% convinced by Greer playing in the championship. He seems to want/expect too much time on the ball and I cannot see him getting that against most Championship strikers. I'd love for me to be completely wrong and fully expect I will be. I'm surprised by a few people who seem to doubt Noone as well, to me he is cut from the same mould as Nathan Dyer (not saying he's gonna theive hand-bags) as a proper tricky wingy and I think he will be a success if we secure promotion.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
If we are to be a team that does better than surviving in The Championship, I think only Bridcutt and Bennett would make the grade.

Gus must be thinking similarly as he said he wants 7 new players.

If we are to do enough to stay up, then I would include Murray, Calderon, El Abd, Barnes, Dunk, Painter, Greer

There is also the side of the coin where momentum is built up by this team and breaking it up is the worst thing to do. Look at Bournemouth coming up last year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here