Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which of our current squad are good enough for The Championship?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Ankergren. Probably not. We will need a beter goalie.
Brezovan. No.
Poke. No.
Walker. ?
Calderon. Probably, but will very much need full-back cover.
Painter. Yes, but, as above, pressing need for full-back cover.
Greer. Yes.
ElAbd. Yes.
Elphick. Maybe.
Dunk. Probably yes.
McNulty. Doubtful.
Bennett. Yes.
Dicker. Yes.
Kish. As a sub/squad member probably yes.
Sparrow. Maybe.
Noone. Maybe.
Bridcutt. Yes.
Navarro. Yes, subject to his return to full futness/form.
Baz. No.
Battipiedi. No.
Smith. Possibly.
Murray. Yes.
Barnes. Yes.
Wood. Probably.
Sandaza. Doubtful.
Holroyd. No.
Hart. No.
Agdestein.?
Caskey. Yes.

I believe defensive signings are a must along with a quality goalkeeper. One more midfielder probably required. Up front, that 20 goal a season striker? Or have we already got him? Probably another decent striker needed with Holroyd, Sandaza and Agdestein gone.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
İbrahim Tatlıses;3996764 said:
The players I think are good enough for a top championship side are:

Gordon Greer
Inigo Calderon
Liam Bridcutt
Gary Dicker
Craig Noone
Chris Wood

The players I think are good enough for a decent championship side, or back up for first team are:

Casper Ankergren
Adam El Abd
Marcos Painter
Matt Sparrow
Alan Navarro
Ashley Barnes
Glenn Murray
Fran Sandaza

The players I believe are not good enough for the Championship are:

Brezovan
Tommy Elphick
Kishishev (age)
Baz
Battipiedi
Holroyd
Hart

What aboot Bennett?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
İbrahim Tatlıses;3996764 said:
The players I think are good enough for a top championship side are:

Gordon Greer
Inigo Calderon
Liam Bridcutt
Gary Dicker
Craig Noone
Chris Wood

The players I think are good enough for a decent championship side, or back up for first team are:

Casper Ankergren
Adam El Abd
Marcos Painter
Matt Sparrow
Alan Navarro
Ashley Barnes
Glenn Murray
Fran Sandaza

The players I believe are not good enough for the Championship are:

Brezovan
Tommy Elphick
Kishishev (age)
Baz
Battipiedi
Holroyd
Hart

Wood better than Murray?

I know he's young and might improve but on all evidence so far he won't be better than Murray.

Last edited:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Kish is retiring so can't be included.

I'd say only Greer, El-abd, Bridcutt, Bennett, Noone, Murray, Wood and maybe Sparrow would make a mid table Championship team

Sep 1, 2010
Elphick is not good enough for The Championship. Greer, Bennett, Noone, Dicker, Calderon, Painter, Bridcutt, Murray, Barnes(given time), Caskey, Ankergren.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
This subject seems to come up every now and then.

Two things:

1- Brighton 3 Portsmouth 1; Watford 0 Brighton 1 would suggest that the current squad is capable of upper mid table.
2 - Gus's whole approach is based on a squad of players playing in exactly the same way. We have improved as the season has gone on, both individually and collectively and I see no reason to doubt that this would not continue as long as Gus remains.

Ergo, the debate about which players are good enough is irrelevant.

Several of our players will make the step up, and raise their game with it.
Maybe a couple of additions might upgrade the standard and compliment the squad to make them look even better as a team - then you'll be saying they've all come along leaps and bounds. Adam el-Abd was always better than NSC saw him, but he was often alone or exposed and couldn't do much about it when Elphick was wandering and three opposing players rushed at him and a midfielder struggling to get across to help out.
Basically, NSC can't judge shit, so I'd just trust Gus to make the right choices and forget about condemning players just yet.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Kish is retiring so can't be included.

I'd say only Greer, El-abd, Bridcutt, Bennett, Noone, Murray, Wood and maybe Sparrow would make a mid table Championship team

i had a conversation with one of the Scunny fans at work a short while back, he said Sparrow was a very good league 1 player but not good enough for the championship

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I don't think Greer will make it. Good on the ball and works well in our system but I think defensively he will get found out and found wanting by better players.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Ankergren. Great shot stopper, needs to command his box more. Jury's out.
Brezovan. Absolutely not.
Calderon. Yes but we need another right back to challenge.
Painter. Yes.
Greer. Yes.
ElAbd. Yes.
Elphick. Not sure.
Dunk. Think he will do well.
McNulty. Depends on how he comes back from injury.
Bennett. Yes, top class.
Dicker. Ditto.
Kish. Wants to retire. Prem quality.
Sparrow. Yes, proven with Scunthorpe.
Noone. Needs to be consistent, don't know.
Bridcutt. Yes, top class.
Navarro. Yes, if he can come back.
Baz. No.
Battipiedi. No.
Smith. Yes, i think he has a touch of class, reads game well.
Murray. Yes.
Barnes. Yes.
Wood. Don't think so.
Sandaza. No, probably not. Maybe as an 'off the bench' player.
Holroyd. No.
Hart. No, age against him.
Caskey. Real potential to go to the top.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
i had a conversation with one of the Scunny fans at work a short while back, he said Sparrow was a very good league 1 player but not good enough for the championship

I still can't quite work Sparrow out, he's shown he's got the skills to be a top player at this level, but also seems to never get a decent run of games in the side for various reasons. Just not sure how good he really is!

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
İbrahim Tatlıses;3996790 said:
Glenn as a striker is a jack of all trades but a master of none, he can finish well at league one and would probably bag a few goals in the higher division, but he would never make it at a top Championship side.

Wood on the other hand is a powerful striker with ability on the ball. As he learns his trade, his physical strength will mean he will dominate both on the ground and in the air, and I am sure he will eventually be doing it at the highest level.

Wood isnt even more powerfull than Glen Murray let alone a better player. Yes Wood has potential but thats all it is, if's and maybe's. Glen Murray has been sound in every aspect of being a striker this year hence why is the 1st choice striker at the club. Really not sure how you make Wood a championship player but not Murray ???

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
This subject seems to come up every now and then.

Two things:

1- Brighton 3 Portsmouth 1; Watford 0 Brighton 1 would suggest that the current squad is capable of upper mid table.
2 - Gus's whole approach is based on a squad of players playing in exactly the same way. We have improved as the season has gone on, both individually and collectively and I see no reason to doubt that this would not continue as long as Gus remains.

Ergo, the debate about which players are good enough is irrelevant.

Re the Pompey and Watford games, we obviously excelled in them, but remember Pompey were down to 10 very early on and Watford played a reserve midfield. Promising signs but doesn't prove too much unfortunately

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
I will list who would not get in the starting 11 out of current first teamers, imo.

Ankergren - no
Painter - No, too slow.
Barnes - no
Sparrow - no

Which concludes what we need....goalie, left back, striker, centre mid.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Release the fringe players who can't cut it or currently get in the side in Div One.

Brezovan, McNulty (subject to fitness), Kish (Retired), Baz, Battipiedi, Smith, Sandaza, Holroyd and Hart (sad but a good time to go).

I'd keep Elphick he started the season well and played a big part in the FA Cup run.

Release nine and add five or six and we have a squad able to compete in The Championship (subject to promotion of course).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here