Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which has been your favourite World Cup?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Born in '69, I have very very vague memories of that Dutch team in '74 but not much more. '78 is the first I can really remember, my memory being what it is. Mario Kempes and all that ticker tape is what I remember most.

I have watched ever single tournament from '78 onwards with a passion. Several times taking a month off work just to watch it all. I have taken this week off this year so I don't miss the 12.30 ko's and from next week on my work allows me to gather a group of our guys round a tv for the 3pm ko's. Again then, I won't miss a match ( bar flicking between games for the simultaneous last group games obviously )

I remember staying up through the night for USA '94 and the very early starts for Japan/South korea 2002.

Stand outs in my memory: Algeria beating West Germany in '82 and that beautiful French team. France v Brazil '86. Workman like successful South Koreans from 2002. Exciting Germans in 2006. Truly amazing goal from a Saudi Arabian where he ran the entire length of the pitch - can't remember who it was against but think it was in '94 ? Don't ask me about the years of all those England penalty heartbreaks, they all seem to merge into one.

There's loads more if my memory was jogged but unfortunately I have a shocking memory - probably due to too much weed for too many years in times past.

Very proud of my 11 yr old tonight as he recounted game after game from the last world cup and Euro's. We watched them together but of course, I can't remember hardly any of it so he may just be making it all up anyway :lolol:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
France 1998: Don't really remember much of it, but the players we had in that squad are the players I properly grew up with. I was even named after one of them (Anderton :wink:). Remember the Columbia group game quite well because I was in Benidorm for it, watched it in Linekers Bar :D. Also remember crying my eyes out when we got knocked out to Argentina :cry:

Japan 2002: 7am kick offs, weren't they? Remember going into school for the Second Halves of both the Nigeria (0-0) and Brazi (2-1?) games, again crying when we got knocked out, in the school toilets :glare:.

For me though would have to be Portugal 2006, purely because that was the first World Cup I properly watched with my mates, round houses/pubs etc... Didn't cry that time though :drink:

Hopefully this one is better :smile:.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
It was cool to cry at school when Brazil knocked us out in 2002.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Yeah :lolol: I remember the kids who didn't even like football faking tears to try and be part of it all

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah :lolol: I remember the kids who didn't even like football faking tears to try and be part of it all

:laugh: :laugh:.

Remember about 20 minutes before the Paraguay game in 2006, I split my knee open (sounds worse than it is/was) 'cause I fell off my Scooter? Missed Owens goals because I was getting it cleaned up. :laugh::blush:

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
France 98 was the first one I remember, going to school in T wells and bunking off early to get the early bus so I could get home in time to watch some of the games.

2002, I was doing my GCSEs and probably the one I enjoyed the most, on study leave and could get to watch all the games and then playing footy in the back garden after with my brothers.

2006, didn't really enjoy it, I was working in a pub and I had to work all the England games ... happy days. :-(

Really up for this one though. Come on ENGLAND! :)

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
:laugh: :laugh:.

Remember about 20 minutes before the Paraguay game in 2006, I split my knee open (sounds worse than it is/was) 'cause I fell off my Scooter? Missed Owens goals because I was getting it cleaned up. :laugh::blush:

:lolol: I can sort of remember that, were we on our way back from Blakers?

I can remember the routine was

football at Blakers > watch the game > football outside the pub at half time > football at Blakers once the game was finished

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
:lolol: I can sort of remember that, were we on our way back from Blakers?

I can remember the routine was

football at Blakers > watch the game > football outside the pub at half time > football at Blakers once the game was finished

Haha, yeah, I was going down the hill by the Tennis Courts, hurt so much. Those were the days! :thumbsup:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
of the those I can honestly rember, rather than suggesting I was into it at age 6 as the footage of 1970 has always looked so good to me, I'd have to go for 1978 and all the tikertape and Argentian, Brazilian and Dutch flair, or 1990 for the thrill that was England until ze Germans ruined everything. I'll never forget watch Booby Robson consoling Gazza, I'm welling up now just thinking of it....

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
1966 for obvious reasons.

1970 for some wonderful games
England v Brazil - Bobby Moore magnificent, Banks' save
England v W Germany - such pain! 2-0 up through Mullery and then we throw it away! Gerd Mueller, Uwe Seeler and ...oh dear...Bonnetti!
Italy v W. Germany - great semi-final,
Brazil v Italy final - a masterclass from Pele et al.

1974 and 1978 for some seriously attractive football especially from Cruyff's Holland.

1990 for the emotional drama of that semi-final.

2010...???

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
1966 has to be the best as an England fan

but 1970 was the best for football (although 1978, 1982 and 1986 weren't bad either). 2002 was best for shock results

The only really dull ones were 1974 (despite the Dutch total football), 1990 and 1994

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The first one I remember some of was Mexico '70 - & it was absolutely amazing. The other one that gave me the same sense of magic & occasion was the Pav-tastic Italia '90.

Ohhhhh, them were the days. Marvelous! :clap:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
On TV - Argentina in 78 - Tickertape and crying Jocks.

Being there - Italia 90 or Spain in 82? - probably Italia 90 purely because we got to the Semis and the team got better as the Tournament went on, although Spain in 82 was better in some ways as it was 12 years since England had qualified for a World Cup and it was great just to be there.

As for Mexico in 86, one of my friends met a Mexican girl whilst there - stayed, got married and is still there!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
2006 for me, purely because I had just finished my final uni exams and could watch every game and spend the little money I had left on BEER.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Italia '90.
High drama and emotion on and off the pitch.

I hope the somewhat sterile start to this one isn't an indication of things to come....
and those bleeding trumpets ffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here