Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which has been your favourite World Cup?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Argentina 1978
I was only 8 so didn't really understand what the World Cup was. But I loved the Adidas Tanga ball, the awesome bendy free kicks, the ticker tape and the fact that I was allowed to watch live matches from a country half way round the other side of the world. (This being a time when the only live games were the FA Cup final and the odd home international).

I got so excited before the final that I was actually sick. :shrug:

Spain 1982
Understood a bit more about football and was convinced England would win. Oops. But I had the stickers and the posters and replayed every match in my front garden after having seen in on TV. And a lovely warm summer it was too.

Mexico 1986
The year of Robson's shoulder. I don't recall that much about it, for some reason. Probably because it ws a long way away. Dunno.

Italia '90
At university, living in London and exams all finished for the year. Possibly one of the best summers of my life. Warm, balmy, saltry summer nights, a real belief that England would go all the way. Nessun Dorma.
World in Motion song... A great kit .. what could go wrong?
The atmosphere in the Capital was electric on the nights of England games.
Gazza, Lineaker, Platt, Waddle, Barnes, Pierce, Bobby Robson... ahh, the memories. The streets were deserted on the night of the semi. Never seen anything like it.

USA 1994
Didn't bother, to be frank

France 1998
Work took up alot of time then, so I missed alot of it.

Japan / South Korea 2002
Time difference made it hard to enjoy games at sensible times, sadly. But I was having a nice time in my life, so it added to the backdrop and I njoyed it regardless, but it did feel very remote.

Germany 2006
Enjoyed it. Watched most games at a mates, as he seemed to have a perpetual BBQ on the go. But all a bit of a damp squib after the Portugal game. Let's hope it lasts a bit longer this time...

So, for me, wouthout question... Italia '90.

Attachments

• italia_90_logo.jpg
    italia_90_logo.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 195

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Italia '90 was totally brilliant

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
for the neutral, argentina 78s atmosphere was on a different level.

sadly only ally's tartn army was there from the homelands.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
1982 I think, because although 1978 was the first I remember watching I was just a little young, so 1982 would have been the first WC I got really involved with.

And 2002 because I'm a Japanese fanboi :D

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The soundtrack to a whole summer...

[yt]6UPR70vDtRk&feature[/yt]

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
1966. I was on holiday in Skegness at Butlins. The TV's were situated in breeze block sheds.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
1982, strangely enough because i didnt see ONE match

i was at WAR :thumbsup:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
1994 first one I recall (esp the commercials for the world cup) but was 8 and not really into football at the time! (esp England not at that World Cup!)

I think 2006 was the most memorble for me, even if England were a little flat in that one!

Italia '90
At university, living in London and exams all finished for the year. Possibly one of the best summers of my life. Warm, balmy, saltry summer nights, a real belief that England would go all the way. Nessun Dorma.
World in Motion song... A great kit .. what could go wrong?
The atmosphere in the Capital was electric on the nights of England games.
Gazza, Lineaker, Platt, Waddle, Barnes, Pierce, Bobby Robson... ahh, the memories. The streets were deserted on the night of the semi. Never seen anything like it.

Swap London for Amsterdam and thats me n all.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Italia 90 without doubt. Although was too depressed to watch the 3rd place play-off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Italia 90.
20 years old, full on proper local pub drinking.
Me and a couple of others took it upon ourselves to completely deck out the pub.
Small screen above the smaller bar, heaving every game, completely mental, and fantastic.

Which leads me to wonder:-
is atmosphere lost by having 3 or 4, 50 inch screens scattered in all directions?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Italia 90 for me.Amazing scenes until the usual penalty shoot out.
Never forget jumping through the pub windows(which were open) and dancing in the road when David Platt swiveled and volleyed home against Belgium.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
2002 Japan / Korea for me as I was living and working in Tokyo at the time.

Being in one of the host countries, it was great watching a completely different culture embracing the World Cup from when I arrived at the end of 2000 right through to the World Cup final. Going out with Japanese work colleagues to various drinking establishments and watching the games with them was a fantastic way to interact with the locals and make some long lasting friendships.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
2002 Japan / Korea for me as I was living and working in Tokyo at the time.

Being in one of the host countries, it was great watching a completely different culture embracing the World Cup from when I arrived at the end of 2000 right through to the World Cup final. Going out with Japanese work colleagues to various drinking establishments and watching the games with them was a fantastic way to interact with the locals and make some long lasting friendships.

and abuse the various happy hours in Roppongi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here