Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which game will be “the game too far”

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Given the choice I'd much rather piss on Aston Villa's chips.

I can't think of anything better football-wise than going there last game of the season already assured of a European place but with them needing a win, and then rolling in a last minute equaliser and singing "we're all going on European tour" with the rest of Villa Park in stunned silence and Brentford taking their European spot.
Oh yeah that would be nice. With Steel/Bob spending the entirety of injury time rolling around pretending to have a head injury.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How on earth did we cope with playing two games a week in the Championship days with a tenth of the resources we have now?

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
If you take each individual week, it's pretty much three games a week - but overall it's 9 games in 34 days, or one every 3.7 days.

Wednesday
Saturday
Thursday
Monday
Sunday
Thursday
Sunday
Wednesday
Sunday
So two every 7.4 days, then. Only one of those three game runs is over 7 days. The rest are 8, 9, or 11...

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I thought it was Chelsea on about 75 minutes. Players dropping like flies with cramp (or wasting time).
As for the 3 games a week, lets do the sums.
A week is 7 days, and in the UK is Sunday to Saturday. So I'll take week 1 as-
1/ 23 to 29 Apr. 3 games
2/ 30 Apr - 6 May. 1 game
3/ 7 - 13 May. 1 game
4/ 14 - 20 May. 2 games
5/ 21 - 27 May. 2 games
6/ 28 May. 1 game.
Total of 10 games in 5 weeks and 1 day.
Imagine being one of the clubs still in Europe who have to add into that fixture list two semi final matches.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I think he might make quite a few changes for tomorrow. Suggested by the sports science team. Some very leggy players on Sunday. Lots ofngroins and muscles being felt as they trudged off. So I predict a weird disjointed performance tomorrow (but hopefully enough to get it done) and then back on board the dominating games and flying into Europe train from Wolves onwards with bo FA Cup Final on players minds.

I also think we are going to be the team to upset Newcastle. There I've said it.
Alexis was stretching and struggling the last 15 on Sunday (same in World Cup to be fair but he kept playing well). Mitoma also a bit leggy. Caicedo looked fine as did March (but he had me worried first half).

Gross just kept running. Then more running. A bit more running. Then probably ran in the warm down before jogging home. He is just incredible. If he was faster he would be one of the best players to ever play in the premier league.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
A quarter of the season (ok, 23.7%) to play in just 33 days,.

Injuries mounting.

Five of the top six still to play.

Honestly, what could possibly go wrong?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Remember that glorious week in April 2017 where we played and won 3 games in 6 days (all but mathematically securing promotion), two of which were played with our 4th and 5th choice centre halves for a significant length of time due to injuries and because Lewis Dunk had the shits?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am prepared for glory or glorious failure as a Brighton fan. "I get knocked down I get up again" to nick the lyrics from a song played every week at Gillingham

BRING IT ON!!!

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this but I don't think it is 3 games a week. Probably best if we all focus on this aspect of the OP question.

I guess this has taken over from answering if losing the FA Cup final still gets you a Europa League spot.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Win tomorrow and the world is our lobster

Fortunately none of our games are against Nijmegen :smile:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not at the pace we play now.
yes , could argue the championship is more physically demanding

2 matches a week fine physically , its just the injuries that could hinder.

Average running distance is about 9-12k isnt it ? 3 days to recover is fine

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
yes , could argue the championship is more physically demanding

2 matches a week fine physically , its just the injuries that could hinder.

Average running distance is about 9-12k isnt it ? 3 days to recover is fine
But I do think there’s a point here about the type of football we play. We’re pressing very high without the ball and getting large numbers in the box with the ball. Then when we’re countered on, we’re tracking the runners and covering for each other.

It’s exhilarating viewing, but must be utterly exhausting.

As excellent as we were under Hughton in our promotion and near promotion season, I don’t think we ever played with anything like the intensity we are now. A 46 game Championship season is not set up for the football we’re playing.

In my view a certain amount of rotation will be needed.

Over the next 9 games I think we’ll see a good amount of players like Ayari and Buenanotte. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see some minutes for Moran and Offiah or similarly inexperienced players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here