Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which former Brighton players were FAR too good for us at the time, but wouldn't even get in our reserve team these days?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
thought joao teixeira was far too good for that absolute stinker of a team we had in 14/15 and thought he’d go on to have a stable premier league career. no idea where he is now, certainly nowhere near our level
He’s playing in the Chinese Super League. 31 years old now and bounced around the Portuguese top flight for a few seasons, then went to Feyenoord before a season in Qatar.

The 32 appearances he made for us is still the most games he’s played in a season in his entire career, definitely someone who didn’t live up to their potential.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Sergey Gotsmanov.
Having turned 65 in March, he might've lost a yard of pace although his touch is probably still decent.

:salute:

hughfromalice

Sep 8, 2022
Great question. Pat Jennings for sure. Cap'n in mid 60s. Played 'centre half'. A muscular towering presence with an impressive jaw line. He was an accountant by trade. In the days before yellow cards, he knew how to 'deal with' opposition players who were too uppity in attack in a way that 'quietened (in modern tactical speak = mowed) them down' but didn't quite merit a sending off. He'd get through the likes of Man City in the first 20 mins, easy. As a young kid, I was in awe of him!!! When I left for Australia, I found that he had prepared me well for Aussie Rules and the gentle arts of giants like Plugger Lockett :)

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
Kurt Nogan.

Maybe Rod Thomas.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Great question. Pat Jennings for sure. Cap'n in mid 60s. Played 'centre half'. A muscular towering presence with an impressive jaw line. He was an accountant by trade. In the days before yellow cards, he knew how to 'deal with' opposition players who were too uppity in attack in a way that 'quietened (in modern tactical speak = mowed) them down' but didn't quite merit a sending off. He'd get through the likes of Man City in the first 20 mins, easy. As a young kid, I was in awe of him!!! When I left for Australia, I found that he had prepared me well for Aussie Rules and the gentle arts of giants like Plugger Lockett :)
Roy Jennings, presumably, rather than Pat.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
He’s playing in the Chinese Super League. 31 years old now and bounced around the Portuguese top flight for a few seasons, then went to Feyenoord before a season in Qatar.

The 32 appearances he made for us is still the most games he’s played in a season in his entire career, definitely someone who didn’t live up to their potential.
He got a really bad injury right at the end of his loan spell with us didn't he? Never really recovered

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
6 goals in 43 games suggests otherwise
Agree with that. CKR was EXACTLY at our level at the time because any better team would have demanded more consistency. Very much doubt he would have been a regular starter for many teams in the league at that point. The talent was definitely there but the mindset wasn't at al and he basically scored 6 fantastic goals and did absolutely naff all else

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Jeff Minton is the name that immediately sprang to mind but I was fairly young at the time so I may have thought he was better than he actually was. Slightly blinded by the fact that he could vaguely pass to a team mate and control a ball which seemed to put him on another planet to a lot of our other players (as I saw it as an 8 year old)

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
thought joao teixeira was far too good for that absolute stinker of a team we had in 14/15 and thought he’d go on to have a stable premier league career. no idea where he is now, certainly nowhere near our level

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2013–2016Liverpool2(0)
2013Brentford (loan)2(0)
2014–2015Brighton & Hove Albion (loan)32(5)
2016–2018Porto8(0)
2017–2018Braga (loan)14(0)
2018–2020Vitória Guimarães41(8)
2020–2022Feyenoord19(0)
2022Famalicão11(2)
2022–2023Umm Salal16(4)
2023–Shanghai Shenhua25(6)

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Jeff Minton is the name that immediately sprang to mind but I was fairly young at the time so I may have thought he was better than he actually was. Slightly blinded by the fact that he could vaguely pass to a team mate and control a ball which seemed to put him on another planet to a lot of our other players (as I saw it as an 8 year old)
Well he did leave us in third division to go to Port Vale in the first division. So he probably was too good for us.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
37 caps for Turkiye.

Top division title trophies in Turkiye, Greece, Brazil and Scotland, as well as 4x Cup trophies.

He was WAY too good for us back then.
Wouldn't agree that he was way too good for us - bit of a disappointment IMHO. To be fair though, for a distinctly average player, he had a bloody interesting career. Certainly got to see the world!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here