Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which clubs are NOT 'selling clubs'?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Deeney wasn't sold, if those rumours were true., as Ulloa was Leicester's #1 target. Anyone else ?

Not true, Deeney was their number one target and Ulloa was the cheaper back up or additional requirement. Leicester gave up when they were told Deeney was not for sale at any price. I believe the 12 million bid was made after they had secured Ulloa.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/L...captain-Troy/story-22756214-detail/story.html

I don't know of others but I would have expected some of the players in the top six would have been targeted by Premier league clubs. The fact remains very few lost their best players whilst we lost all of ours. Ulloa, Bridcutt. Buckley, Ward because we fecked around. I know you are very supportive of the club and everything they do but something is very wrong with the set up on the pitch and it's not all down to Burke and bad luck.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And there was me thinking that Barnes had run his contract down to 6 months and wouldn't sign the one offered :facepalm:

Because the one he was offered was "alledgedly" pathetic. As was the contract we offered Murray. We don't seem to understand that good strikers cost a lot of money.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not true, Deeney was their number one target and Ulloa was the cheaper back up or additional requirement. Leicester gave up when they were told Deeney was not for sale at any price. I believe the 12 million bid was made after they had secured Ulloa.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/L...captain-Troy/story-22756214-detail/story.html

Fair enough. pS "Pearson's top target"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...transfer-of-Leonardo-Ulloa-from-Brighton.html

"Pearson installed ulloa as his #1 target"
http://m.leicestermercury.co.uk/Lei...hton-striker/story-21660879-detail/story.html

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Albion have a long and crap history of allowing strikers to just wander off elsewhere (anywhere!) without making any kind of meaningful attempt to retain them or transform loans into signings. In the Withdean era, the names Tony Rougier, Chris Iwelumo and Lloyd Owusu spring to mind. The more recent examples are all-too-well documented.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
More to the point how many of the current top six sold off their best players?

Genuine question, I know Bournemouth sold Grabban but replaced him with Wilson. I know Watford turned down around 10 million from Leicester for Deeney, which is suprising because the NSC perception is that if a Premier League comes in the player will want to leave.

I will be very surprised to hear that any of the current top six sold their best players and failed to replace them. In fact they appear to have held on to their best players and recruited some more.

Brighton, however seem to be in the forefront of selling clubs which goes a long way to explaining our plummet down the league. Fortunately we have very few players to sell now so maybe we can rebuild.

I think Deeney felt like he owed Watford one more seasons as they stood by him, which is fair enough.

He would have gone this year if they had not gone up.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We turned down lots of offers from Leicester for Ulloa last summer. The difference came when Ulloa himself asked to leave. Which he did.

He stated that he wasn't confident in our player recruitment for this season which was also factor in him wanting to leave. Had Oscar stayed to build the squad he may well have done a Deeney and committed himself to us for another season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He stated that he wasn't confident in our player recruitment for this season which was also factor in him wanting to leave. Had Oscar stayed to build the squad he may well have done a Deeney and committed himself to us for another season.

Where did he state that then ?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Could you define a selling club as one whose receipts from the sale of players exceeds their expenditure on players? A simple definition, probably a complicated calculation.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Every club on the planet is a selling club the real question should be how many clubs reinvest the money from player sales back int player recruitment?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here