Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which club in this division.......

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I assume you are talking purely messageboards here.
We must be up there. Still viewed by most in the league as a small club full of band wagon plastics yet reading here you see comments comparing us with teams like Leeds in size and slagging off likes of Wigan and Reading for being to small to be in the prem.

Sheff Wed would get my other vote based purely on what I have seen. Very big club that prob belong in the prem based on size but christ do they go on about it

Well hang on, there's about 60 league clubs who are bigger than Wigan, we can't be alone in thinking that. Reading on the other hand are very much the nouveau south-east club, a large-growing population means a relatively well-supported club with new stadium and consequent success. I guess we are following in their footsteps. Even though they've always 'seemed' smaller than us, I guess they weren't?

The large number of people saying we are one of the most deluded probably disqualifies us from the title. What we do have are a lot of young fans used to a disproportionate amount of football success over the past 12 years. They'll learn in time.

Barnsley loyal???

Attachments

• BARNSLEY 188.JPG
    BARNSLEY 188.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 107

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Palace....see EVERY SINGLE ONE of [MENTION=20004]Glenn-Murray[/MENTION] posts on here for proof.

He is indeed a very deluded individual, but other than Glenn ( or his other ids Seaside and COYP ), there isn't too much delusion form palace fans that I've noticed.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Leeds. Their forum is WACCOE - We Are Champions, Champions Of Europe.

Liverpool's historic obsession is at least based on fact.

Is it just me who hates the terms 'big club' and 'potential'? Sure, celebrate your club's history, but don't confuse it with current League position and recent results.

PG

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Liverpool's historic obsession is at least based on fact.

Is it just me who hates the terms 'big club' and 'potential'? Sure, celebrate your club's history, but don't confuse it with current League position and recent results.

PG

Brilliant post.

I cannot get the fascination with big crowds etc, what matters at the end of the season is surely where you are in the league.
Would you rather promotion or big gates?, I know what I would prefer, sure both would be nice but its not the be all and end all

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Brilliant post.

I cannot get the fascination with big crowds etc, what matters at the end of the season is surely where you are in the league.
Would you rather promotion or big gates?, I know what I would prefer, sure both would be nice but its not the be all and end all

Depends whether you just want the thrill of promotion or you want to build something of substance that will keep you at the higher level. You need certain things in place to establish youself at any level of football.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Depends whether you just want the thrill of promotion or you want to build something of substance that will keep you at the higher level. You need certain things in place to establish youself at any level of football.

Good point. But with the money that the premier league brings then I think that you could still have crowds of 25k and still maintain your premier league status.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Good point. But with the money that the premier league brings then I think that you could still have crowds of 25k and still maintain your premier league status.

I think you are probably right, but you would never compete , wages and players wise with the likes of the arse and manure who regularly get gates of 60k+ and all that comes with that in the way of spending power.

Wigan have certainly bucked the tend, but seem to bump along at the relegation end of the league and scrape away...I am not sure that is a particularly good way of getting people through the turnstiles.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well we've all got 'em, sadly, but I'd have to stick The Dirty Ones (Leeds) on the top of the pile - & then some. Even The Wendy's :)lol:) run them a very poor second on the deluded "we're f**kin' massive we are: & should - by definition - be in The Premiershit"-front. :facepalm:

Still, at least the MOT mob will finally be top of the league in something. Which'll make a change.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely our fans. Poyet should go because we're not walking this league yet. Ours are definitely the most ungrateful as well. It's a f***ing AMAZING time to be an Albion fan. Sadly a lot of people seem to be missing out.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I think you are probably right, but you would never compete , wages and players wise with the likes of the arse and manure who regularly get gates of 60k+ and all that comes with that in the way of spending power.

Wigan have certainly bucked the tend, but seem to bump along at the relegation end of the league and scrape away...I am not sure that is a particularly good way of getting people through the turnstiles.

Definitely agree with you. But with the likes of Man U etc, how many of the fans that actually attend their games are actually from Manchester? How many shirts do they sell in the far east etc. To be honest I think no matter how good your intentions are you will find it very hard to get the bodies through the door unless you actually win something first.
Honest question, how many of your fans do you think would still attend if you were still in the championship in three years time?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Brilliant post.

Not exactly what I was saying. Current crowds are relevant to a team's future progress. It's the historic, "we used to be X therefore all should bow down before us" that gets my goat. Leeds are the masters of this, but I've heard Derby fans run them close.

PG

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Not exactly what I was saying. Current crowds are relevant to a team's future progress. It's the historic, "we used to be X therefore all should bow down before us" that gets my goat. Leeds are the masters of this, but I've heard Derby fans run them close.

PG

Okay I misread you. But the way I think is you only have potential if you have a good squad, start to get results, have your books in order and get good attendances.
At the end of the day we can all argue ourselves silly over who has the biggest club, but to me it is the team who finishes highest in the league.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Leeds and Wednesday. Wouldn't say Palace fans are deluded in terms of their club's stature/potential.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Okay I misread you. But the way I think is you only have potential if you have a good squad, start to get results, have your books in order and get good attendances.
At the end of the day we can all argue ourselves silly over who has the biggest club, but to me it is the team who finishes highest in the league.

don't agree, the team who finishes higher in the league has the best team. Blackpool were not a bigger club than many of the teams they finished above when they were promoted through play offs.

definition of big club is subjective, but if you get promoted this year, it is because your team performed better, you are NOT bigger than Leeds

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here