Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where would you be looking to strengthen in January?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Having watched todays game, I am confident none of our starting 11 would make Leicester's starting 11. So that's bad to start with, and that's Leicester, not a traditional big 6 club.

So our shopping list (which we will mislay on the way to the shops, as normal) will include

A striker - a proper, proven one ( i.e. expensive). Quick, aggressive etc etc. Hopefully not a complete headcase (alright, Florin?).
A playmaker/ACM. A game changer and match winner.
A winger or two who can actually go past people and cause mayhem. Love Solly to bits but he isn't 18 any more and based on today, he isn't progressing.
A few more defenders who can control a pass and move the ball on quickly. Oh, and can sprint at 25/28kmh or more.

Sure there's more but let's leave it at that for now.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Two midfielders to replace Stephens and Propper that can shoot and create something instead of creating goals for the opposition by giving the ball away cheaply. Possibly a new striker with speed and height. May cost too much, but if we have two new midfielders that can chip in with a few goals and create goals then I think Maupay and Connelly will thrive on the chances created, as was said on SCR tonight that if Vardy Or Pele were up front for us, they would not score, as they would get no support.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Having watched todays game, I am confident none of our starting 11 would make Leicester's starting 11. So that's bad to start with, and that's Leicester, not a traditional big 6 club.

So our shopping list (which we will mislay on the way to the shops, as normal) will include

A striker - a proper, proven one ( i.e. expensive). Quick, aggressive etc etc. Hopefully not a complete headcase (alright, Florin?).
A playmaker/ACM. A game changer and match winner.
A winger or two who can actually go past people and cause mayhem. Love Solly to bits but he isn't 18 any more and based on today, he isn't progressing.
A few more defenders who can control a pass and move the ball on quickly. Oh, and can sprint at 25/28kmh or more.

Sure there's more but let's leave it at that for now.

Yep Solly seems to have plateaued after such high expectations. I would have hoped for him to be of a Jack Grealish standard by now but it's not going to happen, and I can't see any goals coming from him soon.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Two midfielders to replace Stephens and Propper that can shoot and create something instead of creating goals for the opposition by giving the ball away cheaply. Possibly a new striker with speed and height. May cost too much, but if we have two new midfielders that can chip in with a few goals and create goals then I think Maupay and Connelly will thrive on the chances created, as was said on SCR tonight that if Vardy Or Pele were up front for us, they would not score, as they would get no support.

Agree, and Ben White would be a very good replacement for Stephens in the defensive midfield role. If we can pull him from Leeds in January I would do without any hesitation. And Alzate and Mooy should be ahead of Propper in the starting 11. Propper is inconsistent, always looks lethargic and his time is done here. His shot on goal this afternoon sent the fans home.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
IMHO, Schelotto, Bong, Balogun, Pröpper(controversial I know), Jahanbaksh, March, Murray suit or are up to the standard of what we need at PL level so all need shipping out in either next transfer window or at the latest August’s.
Need strong, quick, hungry players who are quick to make decisions on the pitch.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We need to be prepared to see past the (almost hewn in stone) idea that the best midfielder we’ll ever posses is Dale Stephens... it’s so entrenched that he’s first pick, regardless of the incumbent manager, and for me our (all of us included) vision is utterly compromised by his irreplaceable (undroppable) status. I’ve said it before, we need a bold progression through a period of evolution and DS is as much part of current inability to move beyond 18-15th than anyone else. I’d like to see a £30 million defensive midfielder who puts Dale Stephens well and truly in the shade... alas I doubt we will. Other than that we need to permanently ship out Andone, Jurgs, and have a third genuine striking option at the club. A far better (quicker and stronger) pair of wingbacks too would be grand and play Alzate as the man in behind our striker (centrally) immediately.

I should really clarify, DS is our best holding midfielder - in reality our only genuine holding midfielder and therein lies the rub... I’d just like to explore the minute possibility that someone else playing that key role could be the one to unlock the door of the top 10. It would free DP to play further forward, getting the best out of him... ultimately the DS role for me is the one area we should go for broke in terms of recruitment.

Couldn’t agree more.

I’m constantly baffled at how so many here rate Dale tbh don’t get it never will.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Pace and finishing, starting at center forward but also in midfield.

We need some players that are prepared to take a shot more often.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Agree, and Ben White would be a very good replacement for Stephens in the defensive midfield role. If we can pull him from Leeds in January I would do without any hesitation. And Alzate and Mooy should be ahead of Propper in the starting 11. Propper is inconsistent, always looks lethargic and his time is done here. His shot on goal this afternoon sent the fans home.

Propper is probably our most gifted player and has been our best player over the last month or so. The only way way his time is done here is if a bigger club than us comes in for him.

He is a first choice midfield player in a top ten international team. I just don’t understand some Albion fans’ opinions of him.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Propper is probably our most gifted player and has been our best player over the last month or so. The only way way his time is done here is if a bigger club than us comes in for him.

He is a first choice midfield player in a top ten international team. I just don’t understand some Albion fans’ opinions of him.

Maybe it's because most people expect a top ten international midfielder to be able to score a bloody goal once in a while.:mad:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Don’t mean to be a pedant but he isn’t first choice... often in and out of the side.

However I like Propper.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
New manager. I'm the first person to see through Potters problems. The rest are playing catch up

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not too worried about the full backs, I can see us going Bernardo-Burn-Dunk-Webster-Montoya once Bernardo is fit, that should be solid with a genuine threat forward from the full backs. An ideal upgrade would be a shiny new CDM, someone that doesn’t have to have a ball player next to him at all times, realistically if we’re playing 3 centre backs in a defensive 5 then second deep midfielder is superfluous. If we were to sign such a unicorn we could afford the additional player to take up an advanced position. Deploy Trossard as your ACM, have two ball players either side (Mooy and Alzate?) and you have 3 players supplying the striker plus the full backs providing width. In summary, all we need to do is sign N’golo Kante.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We need a right back and a central midfielder.

We always need a front player, but it wouldn’t be my priority.

No ideas on the RB but midfielder Berge if we can convince him to come would be a great signing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Has he not only scored 1 goal in a season and a half? If I am mistaken I apologise.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
New manager. I'm the first person to see through Potters problems. The rest are playing catch up

For Christ’s sake give it a rest. We get it, you don’t rate Potter and will us to lose every game so you can come on here with you attention seeking gloating. It’s dull.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
For Christ’s sake give it a rest. We get it, you don’t rate Potter and will us to lose every game so you can come on here with you attention seeking gloating. It’s dull.

Why don't you shut up? I'm entitled to my view. Don't like it put me on ignore. It's a public forum you utter fanny.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why don't you shut up? I'm entitled to my view. Don't like it put me on ignore. It's a public forum you dick

Of course you are entitled to your view but it’s like a stuck record

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

In regards to potter what is it you actually don’t like at this stage out of interest? If you had a realistic choice who do you think would be a better alternative at this time?
I quite like his ideas and how so far it’s related to football being played on the pitch. We didn’t get some results I think we should earlier in the season especially. At times maybe we have been tactically naive mind especially against the better sides mainly because they have better players and press us as a unit a lot higher. I expect Liverpool to do it better than any next week but overall at this time I thought he’s doing a fairly reasonable job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here