where would we be in the table now if dean wilkins was manager

if dean wilkins was in charge still where would we be this season

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
7th - 13th. It is a tougher division this season, but Adams has had to start again as his style is different from Wilkins'. Wilkins would have just carried on from before and therefore with less disruption I think just outside the play offs would have been likely.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That position sounds familiar......oh wait, that was exactly where we finished in Wilkins first season in charge.

:rolleyes:
Wilkins wasn't in charge for the full season, people may say it was only a couple of months in but the difference is huge. Transfer window closed, summer signings made, pre-season work done laying the groundwork for the entire season. Wilkins didn't have that, he got a threadbare, young and struggling squad from McGhee, in his first managerial job.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's a totally hypothetical question. We have no idea who Wilkins would have brought in (if he was given any money) or got rid of or anything, or where Hart and Mayo would be now. So it's difficult to tell. All I'll say is that the squad is stronger this year, but the results aren't. And I don't buy all this 'the division's much tougher this time' nonsense.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
whatever you thought last season surely you have to think, in hindsight, he did an incredible job to take us to 7th last year. smaller cheaper squad, playing loads of the kids. adams has taken his squad, added loads of players, but somehow we've gone backwards. wilkins was a promising young manager for my money. adams is yesterday's man.

Well said :clap:.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Wilkins wasn't in charge for the full season, people may say it was only a couple of months in but the difference is huge. Transfer window closed, summer signings made, pre-season work done laying the groundwork for the entire season. Wilkins didn't have that, he got a threadbare, young and struggling squad from McGhee, in his first managerial job.

Quite. He also started out his managerial career with Revell, Hart, Gatting and Robinson leading the front line. Where were the goals going to come from?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I enjoy a good debate on NSC - even with people who I don't agree with but who argue in a reasoned and commonsense way.

Unfortunately NSC is made much the poorer by ridiculous posts/polls like this. Nobody has any idea where we would have finished this season with DW in charge, not even DW himself. (And, in case some of you haven't noticed we're not even halfway through the season yet so comparing last season's finishing position with this season in the third week in November is even more stupid).

With DW still in charge we might have finished top, bottom or any of the places in between. That's my prediction.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I enjoy a good debate on NSC - even with people who I don't agree with but who argue in a reasoned and commonsense way.

Unfortunately NSC is made much the poorer by ridiculous posts/polls like this. Nobody has any idea where we would have finished this season with DW in charge, not even DW himself. (And, in case some of you haven't noticed we're not even halfway through the season yet so comparing last season's finishing position with this season in the third week in November is even more stupid).

With DW still in charge we might have finished top, bottom or any of the places in between. That's my prediction.

This is true

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Impossible to say, Wilkins would have brought in his own players we would have a solid centre back pairing of Elphick and Lynch but who knows about the midfield. Shame we will never know. Don't think we would have been where we are now though because we would have a team that was more settled

Did this division experience a sea change in quality and competition at start of this season?

A couple of quality teams have now entered the fray, from above and below the 1st. Existing clubs will have added to their squads

Would Dean Wilkins have strengthened his existing squad, after letting go of a couple of the players since deemed surplus?

No doubt he would have, especially if given funds with which to do that

Was his CV and experience growing, would his tactical nouse have wisened somewhat?

Going by last season and the previous one, it would be difficult to say not - as well as inheriting a team with little spirit, he drafted in youth players without breaking the bank, and managed to get BHA back on competitive track

It's not possible to know what would have been, but guessing what might, or probably have been, I'd surmise that DW would have at least had us in a position near the playoffs - higher mid-table

Surf 'n' Turf

Sep 21, 2008
What amazes me is how short memory some of our fans have. This time last season people were saying how clueless Wilkins was and how poor the football was and how shit the crowds were.

Erm...according to that chart link that you yourself posted above, we were 11th after 20 games, not 16th

Nzk5OjM6MTM3OjA,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here