Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where will we finish in the league?

League position after final game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I’m going with a slightly uncomfortable 15th…

Roberto, for all his faults, had a certain aura and clearly commanded respect from his charges… his tactics were rigid, yet at their best, fluid… he acted and felt like a maverick and had huge respect from his betters… which, although could be viewed with a cynical edge, felt genuine enough.

I worry about a this new era, players are coming in ever more to make names for themselves and move on… and I’m struggling to genuinely warm to Fabian … that’s not to say he’s going to fail, but I’m not convinced it’ll be plain sailing and/or fanfare stuff…

My major concern relates to his judgement from preseason of who can cut it in the PL squad. Based on the level he’s previously had success at he might be in danger of overestimating some of our younger players, whilst fundamentally underestimating the actual quality of the PL… watching it and coaching in it are clearly two separate realities and looking at the ‘quality’ we’ve faced in pre-season, well, I’m not convinced that we should be expecting Ayari et al to be ready…

He clearly likes hussle, which we all do … the problem is maintaining high energy levels week in week out, whilst delivering a system that can cope defensively… I’m a bit worried he might be opting for all bustle and expecting that to overcome top level quality… I have other serious doubts tactically too, especially with such a high press and a squad not blessed with central defensive pace… even dropping a CDM in to cover quick counters doesn’t fill me full of confidence that we’re not going to get ripped apart… Everton will be very interesting 🤨

I’m more worried about this season than any since the last CH season.
How big a hat would you eat?🤣
I too have a little concern over the "weight" Hurzeler has, not so much the tactics as I reckon he will adjust where necessary.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think at the start of the season we may have to get used to seeing us in the bottom 3.

I do however believe we will be nowhere near the bottom 3 by the November international break, and will finish strongly just inside the top 10.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
How big a hat would you eat?🤣
I too have a little concern over the "weight" Hurzeler has, not so much the tactics as I reckon he will adjust where necessary.
I’ll eat Hurzeler’s baseball cap 🧢 if we finish above 15th

😂🧐🤨🎸

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
14th with a change of manager

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree on both accounts - but I guess we are working on different timescales here - I think after the January window, by which time I expect the team and manager to be have reached a level where we are performing at our squad potential and we are hovering around 12th-13th, I think we’ll see a trajectory in the second half of the season very different to that of 2023/4.

Hürzeler turned around St Pauli who were hovering on the edge of the ‘no go zone’ into a top 5 finish in Bundes 2 in his first 6 months as manager. I think when you have a lot of broken eggs, if you have the recipe and right ingredients , it doesn’t take very long to make a good soufflé.
What about an omelette? I'll settle for an omelette.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
What about an omelette? I'll settle for an omelette.

You need a ‘recipe’ for an omelette? :smokin:

Cooking a ‘soufflé’ is a more complicated system, with a greater variety of ingredients and most importantly, to complete the metaphorical appropriateness, a soufflé rises!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You need a ‘recipe’ for an omelette? :smokin:

Cooking a ‘soufflé’ is a more complicated system, with a greater variety of ingredients and most importantly, to complete the metaphorical appropriateness, a soufflé rises!
FFS.

:lolol:

:thumbsup:

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
As things stand I think we are far to light on experienced top level heads and whilst there are lots of exciting prospects think we could really struggle. Could be different if Wieffer really hits the ground running,

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
We have been looking increasingly defensively fragile over the last few seasons. I don't see anything to see that changing. I think we will struggle (compared with recent seasons anyway). We may flirt with being pulled into the relegation battle but will ease away from it.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Still, new manager who needs time to condition the squad into his ideas and philosophy.

This is not like when Roberto took over what Graham had built. Fabio Hurzeler is taking reigns of a team that was psychologically and physically mismanaged.... it needs repair work. I think the first few months are going to be a struggle.
I tend to agree. Potter didn't have much more experience than FH and the squad was nowhere near as accomplished, true we struggled for the first few seasons with him but I think some of those lessons will have been learnt by the club. I do see us having a few difficult matches, to begin with. Even doing a Palace and sitting on the bottom for the first few weeks until it gels, I am confident that the squad will get it together and we will have a decent second half of the season.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely no idea.

Somewhere between 1st and 20th is my guess, so I’ve gone for 10th. As long as he isn’t a Sami that’s all that matters. I think the Hurze Out crowd will be taking to the board earlier than anticipated so we’ll all need to hold our nerve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here