Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is the loyalty?

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
f***ing pisstake that a man we took from the depths of obscurity in Wolverhampton Reserves to a star league 1 performer can show such little care or thought towards his makers. We took a big chance on him, paid good money and nurtured him into a great player at this level only for him to f*** us over as soon as a bigger club comes in.

And why would he leave now? Top of the league, great football, great manager and new stadium.A senseless decision. Yes i know norwich are doing well and are a bigger club but this is ridiculous. I personally dont think they will be promoted but to do this to us is just mental.

Even if he stays, i can't look at him in the same way ever again. And i thought Benno was one of the better ones at this club...

Oh and no i dont give two shits that its another bennett thread.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You expect too much from a player from the midlands. He is not a Brighton fan and has done amazingly well whilst he has been here. Don't take him wanting to leave so personally, it's all about money and playing at the highest level possible.

I believe that if he stays he will still give 100%, we can't expect more and to abuse or slag him off is totally counter-productive as we'll be the ones who lose out if he goes off the boil.

Maybe El Abd and Elphick are Albion through and through but all the others would all be off at the 1st sniff of doubling their wages and playing a league higher

Get used to it, it's what happens to all succesfull lower league clubs. At least higher division clubs want our players now. Not so long ago they all ended up in non league.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I think you'll find the only 'loyal servants' of recent years are the players nobody else wants.

Quite so and any club will show corresponding 'loyalty' to anybody who becomes surplus to requirements.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Last season Slade signed Dickinson for £300k, and we would have happily driven him to Barnsley when they took him off our hands for half that amount, and Bennett for £200k, and we are going all Rita from Corrie about him leaving.

If he goes, good luck to the lad, he's not robbed or raped anyone has he?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Last season Slade signed Dickinson for £300k, and we would have happily driven him to Barnsley when they took him off our hands for half that amount, and Bennett for £200k, and we are going all Rita from Corrie about him leaving.

If he goes, good luck to the lad, he's not robbed or raped anyone has he?

Very much this.

I think he's the sort of player who will put this behind him and still play to the best of his ability for the rest of the season.

If Norwich were really offering to double his wages, you can't blame him for wanting to go and you can'y blame TB and Gus for not wanting to wreck their wage structure to keep him happy at the risk of upsetting the rest of the squad.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I agree with most of that but I think we will get over it even if he stays - Muzza has handed in 2 transfer req and lets be honest most of us had subconsiously forgotten that this season right? Same with the Calde incident? I know i had...

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
"The obscurity of Wolverhampton reserves" The same Wolves who are in the premiership and who were reluctant to sell him as they saw his potential? Why they put in a sell-on clause?

And he had played every game on loan at Bury the previous season getting good reviews. He wasn't plucked from any sort of obscurity.

Oh, and loyalty in football doesn't exist. If we'd been offered 6m or something laughable do you think we'd have been 'loyal'?! It works both ways.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I know loyalty. It STINKS.

Personally I wish Calderon, Noone, Greer, Murray, Sparrow et al had shown some LOYALTY before swanning off to us!!

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Loyalty what a taboo subject that is these days. Being a Villa support my mouth is still a bit sour from the exit of Milner. Barrys exit from Villa was only at the start of me really following the club and didnt mean much at the time. I know many are dissapointed with that one as well. With Brighton heading up to the championship and only seeming to being soaring high it doesn make sense. However, loyalty is to the $ today not a club badge, as unfortunate as that is. Ah well jimmy is rotting on the bench now.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
Only loyalty is the supporters. Fortunately for us that includes the chairman. Ultimately, we have to trust in Gus and TB to do what they think is right with this.

No point in taking it personally as there's nothing we can do about it. As said lots of times already, if anyone was offered a new job with double their current income, who would seriously turn it down?

Anyway, we can't rely on one player. He could stay, get injured next week and not play for the rest of the season. Squad is very good and think we'd cope

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Earning a living as a footballer/football manager in the lower leagues can be a precarious existence. They have to make as much dough as they can while they can and take opportunities that come their way. Their career could take a dramatic turn for the worse and then they'll be fretting about where the next pay cheque is coming from. They're also being manipulated by people like agents. Don't take players who use Brighton as a 'platform for bigger things' personally, just enjoy the highlights and someone will soon be along to replace them.

J2 BHA

NSC Patron
Jul 28, 2004
Oh, and loyalty in football doesn't exist. If we'd been offered 6m or something laughable do you think we'd have been 'loyal'?! It works both ways.[/QUOTE]

End of! Good luck to the lad.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Well think about Noones loyalty to Plymouth........

If every player was 100% loyal, then there wouldn't be too much of a transfer market at all.

Can't have it both ways.

The positive is that we are in a situation where we don't have to sell .And we all know that hasn't always been the case in Albion history

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here