Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where does this leave Jimmy Mac?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Disappointed Painter was not in the middle, no idea what James Tunnicliffe has done to be dropped as easily the best central midfielder this season.

Calderon looked very good though in defence and going forward.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My understanding was that Imelda was signed to play as a centre back (although left back is his preferred position). Fully expected to see him in the middle with Virgo and McNulty at left back. But a fair point about Jimmy Mac being not back to his best yet, so maybe Gus decided to play to Painter's strengths and trust Tommy as CB.

Interesting point about Hoyte. He's looked pretty hesitant every time I ahve seen him this year, and delighted that Calderon had a good game. Esp pleased that at the end her seemed to be bossing the back and slowing the game down.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Personally I think its all about competition for places innit. Now we have two left backs as Wright is out on loan. I think there are probably questions over Jimmy fitness at the moment so cover is required. And NOT Virgo or El Abd thank you very much.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Firstly I'd like to defend THRK (even though he's more than capable of defending himself) over the petty accusations that this thread is pointless. It is a perfectly reasonable avenue of debate to open up and I think a lot of people have been wondering exactly the same thing as to what will happen to McNulty. I don't think anyone believes this match has sealed his fate as a back up or anything like that but when he's fit to play and somebody new and untested (with us) comes in in his place we have every right to ask questions about what it could potentially mean.

Perhaps Gus has made assurances to Painter about getting regular first team football but having been out of action for a while was reluctant to put him in the heart of defence where errors might be more costly, so stuck him in his familiar left back spot to get him up to speed with the defence and the pace of playing and assess his performance with a view to seeing whether he's ready to partner Virgo/Tunnicliffe.

This is just one possible theory, I'm not sure I believe it but it's possible.

I think it's great that we have competition for places, particularly in defence where we've been so poor over the last 18 months but I would be disappointed if McNulty were to lose his place long term because he's a good left back and for years we've made do with bit part players and square pegs so to finally get the player most fans have been crying out for and see him left out would be a bit of a blow.

For the same reason I'd be disappointed to see him play in midfield, he's already good at his job so why play him out of position where his performance levels are likely to deteriorate?

I'm sure he'll come back fighting fit however. We have to remember that Gus hasn't seen the best of him yet but I'm confident he will in time

D

Deleted User X18H

Where does this leave Jimmy Mac? Somewhere near Haywards Heath, with a nice few grand a week and a sauce pot on his arm.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'd have Painter playing at LB over McNulty anyday.
Far more experience, and at a much higher level.
I'm sure Poyet isn't figuring out a way to chuck him in the side in a random position just because he is a "flair icon" like most of the people on here seem to be doing.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
McNulty can also play centre back, did so for Stockport including their play-off final.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As somebody pointed out previously, cant be bothered to search it out, Jim Mc has been a little weak against high balls thrown across the pitch to the oppponents right wing, which may be a weakness in either his play or the mental approach after his accident. Perhaps he is a little worried about the physical contact of an on rushing winger, which is quite understandable. I am sure that this will improve in time and he will go on to be a valuable asset for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here