Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do you stand on the player recruitment quantity-quality continuum?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd rather we go for quality over quantity. Learn the lessons of last season, which were mainly that we failed to win more than half our home games, usually because we couldn't score enough goals against mediocre teams. So let's make sure that doesn't happen again by diverting as much of our budget as it takes to secure the one or two forward players that will make the difference. There are obviously big gaps in our back five at the moment, but I think they can probably be filled with more affordable options if required. There is no need to have a goalkeeper as high-profile and expensive as Kuszczak for example (particularly when he's not actually that good), so let's find one who is a bit less experienced but on half the money. The same goes for Upson. I'm not saying pack the defence with cheap kids, but at the same time we don't necessarily need 30+ ex-EPL players. A 7/10 centre-back might cost us three or four points in a season compared with a 9/10 one like Upson, but if it means we can afford the man who will support Ulloa by banging in some goals when it matters then we'll more than make that up.

So for me, it's:
1x proven attacking player who will contribute 12+ goals
1x extra winger (possibly a loan, possibly Lingard)
1x goalkeeper with Championship experience
1x experienced but not past it centre-back
1x left-back

We've lost at least eight players from last season, so there should be no reason why we can't afford those five replacements.

I agree with most of that post but there is no point re-signing Lingaard as a winger, as he really isn't one. If we sign he needs to play off a striker but with CMS, March, Crofts, Buckey and JFC able to do that it's not a priority

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Defence has been decimated

We've got to get a goosd spine to the side.

4-4-3 basic shape

most important: keeper, covering central defender, defensive midfielder (deep playmaker), second striker
second most important: stopper centre half, target striker, left back, central (box2box) midfielder, attacking midfielder (left-sided)
least important: right back, winger

most important: ???, Greer, ???, Mackail-Smith or Lualua
second most important: ???, target striker, ???, central (box2box) midfielder, attacking midfielder (left-sided)
least important: right back, winger

So four of the six might have to be Keeper, Defensive Midfielder, Stopper Centre Half and a Left Back.

I have got a sneaking feeling we won't get a new left back. I would like Stephen Ward as he a was "Player of the Season" in my book.

Just got to pray our young midfield is up to the task.

To get back to where we were we have to replace Kuszczak, Upson, Bridcutt and Ward.

if Buckley and Lualua play like under Poyet, with March on the sidelines, a winger is our lowest priority.

If Macca does not keep falling over and missing easy goals, he might make it as a second striker. Then there is a need for a reserve covering central defender as if Greer is missing the team collapses.

Last edited:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The minimum I think we need is

Goalkeeper
Left Back
Central Defender
Striker

If we concentrate the cash on these positions I'd be very happy.

Loans and a couple of Development Squad promotions ( Rea, Monakana ? ) can fill in any other gaps.

Agustien either needs to be salvaged, or replaced as well.

(Assuming Ankergren, Calderon, and Bruno re-sign ).

I would concur with this.

And, I might add, getting 'continuum' into a thread title, gave me an odd frisson of enjoyment.

You have to get your pleasure where you can these days :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here