Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do Albion go in the league from here, and how?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Poyet made it very clear from day one that we play one way, yes it may vary a bit but the basic play is how we and him will sink or swim. Hoof ball will not be allowed. With the right players we will annihilate this division but it's gonna take time. Poyet is almost certain to be given it too, although I do get the impression that quite a few fans are gonna start grumbling if we don't turn it around soon.

Funny that, if you read Billy Paynter's comments in "The Argus" today. Obviously I didn't know when I started this thread that he had been signed, but it makes sense. Don't know how tall he is but seems a Toshack-style player.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Funny how on Saturday night BBC praised up Southampton's attacking approach, 2 out of their 3 goals came from their keeper hitting the ball upfield.

The report on the Brum game just said it was dull. THey showed two rather pathetic attempts from Albion players ouside the box.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Funny how on Saturday night BBC praised up Southampton's attacking approach, 2 out of their 3 goals came from their keeper hitting the ball upfield.

The report on the Brum game just said it was dull. THey showed two rather pathetic attempts from Albion players ouside the box.

I don't understand what you're trying to say? Of course there are issues with how we play - we ain't perfect. This is the first real time we've struggled under Gus, and "struggling" is a strong word considering we are tenth. The loan signings we've made have improved the team and we look to be getting our defence back to strong and if Paynter links as well with CMS over 90 minutes as he did in the last few against Brum we'll start banging them in.

I'm happy with our identity.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I don't understand what you're trying to say? Of course there are issues with how we play - we ain't perfect. This is the first real time we've struggled under Gus, and "struggling" is a strong word considering we are tenth. The loan signings we've made have improved the team and we look to be getting our defence back to strong and if Paynter links as well with CMS over 90 minutes as he did in the last few against Brum we'll start banging them in.

I'm happy with our identity.

What I'm trying to say is that Poyet is purposely trying to eliminate opne of the key ways to deliver the ball forward, which has been and is still recognised as part of the English style of play, in favour of a purely Continental slow build-up.

As it happens I have a copy of "The Usborne Complete Soccer School", a kind of training manual - an old copy it hss Sol Campbell and Robby Fowler opbn the front cover.On page 177 under "Long Ball Tactics2 it states:

"A long ball cuts out the midfield and lands in the attqacking third of the pitch. Playing the long ball is risky. There's a chance your team may lose possession, but there's also the chance that you will gain a great attacking position. If your attacker collects the ball, team-mates can race upfield to join and support him.

The long ball depends on accurate passing skills from defence. The long ball is aimed at an arttacker who is strong in the air and must come to meet the ball. Even the best attackers only win and control some long balls."

" If ever you spot your attacking third containing only one or two of your aatackers with an equal number of defenders, consider playing the long ball."

Obviously Gus doesn't feel that the goalie should play the long ball upfield, but surely his wingbacks could try that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here