Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where did it go wrong for the Lib/dems ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Amnesty ? Maybe to close to the Euro and what in happening in Greece (i accept that it not the Euro,s fault) ? :wave:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
people realised they had some crankpot ideas and you cant vote for somebody just because they sound nice

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Their 'support' was always strongest among younger voters, who are the least likely to vote (unless it's voting to kick someone out of Channel 4's Big Brother, as opposed to something important like who's going to run the country).

Lib Dem support (like the old Liberals before them) has always been 'soft' compared to that of the two main parties.

That said, I'm still bitterly disappointed; the same old Tweedle Dee, Tweedlee Dum alternation every decade or so between two establishment parties who'll do whatever big business and 'the City' want, and screw over ordinary people instead.

F*** the lot of them.

:rant::US::bla::rant:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Don't be silly!!!!! Look at the percentages. Nearly a quarter of the country voted for them!!!

Nothing went wrong with the Lib Dems..... the only porblem was the electoral system. I defy anyone to suggest that with proprtional represenntation they wouldnt be a major force in UK politics.

Not that I am sure its a good idea...

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Well my Lib-Dem vote has helped to keep out the Tory candidate in a very closely fought seat. It has made me really feel as though my vote has made a difference which is unusual, and strangely fulfilling.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lib Dems hold Cheltenham and are up to 55 seats. Seven down from last time. Probably will get two more, possibly four. Altogether, their most successful position holding the balance of power.

Could have done better?

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Well my Lib-Dem vote has helped to keep out the Tory candidate in a very closely fought seat. It has made me really feel as though my vote has made a difference which is unusual, and strangely fulfilling.

And my vote, I like to think, helped Don Foster increase the Lib Dem vote here in Bath.

But overall: Lib Dems @ 6,000,000 votes = 57 seats
Labour @ 8,000,000 votes = 255 seats.

:rant::rant::rant::rant:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't be silly!!!!! Look at the percentages. Nearly a quarter of the country voted for them!!!

rather than the 30% predicted which might have given them another 30 seats. thats evaporated not because of the voting system, but because the polls weren't right.

where did it go wrong? Clegg wasnt on the ballot paper up and down the land and thats who the polls had shown support for, the leader rather than the party.

1. 25% votd Liberal.
2. People voted tactically, better Labour than Conservative.
3. Clegg good on image but increased scrutiny of their policies.
4. People realised the Liberals were a one trick Pony.
5. Too many ill thought policies at this election, that blurred, the good policies.

Personally I supported a lot of the Liberal Programe and if Hackney South was a lib/ Con marginal they would have got my vote.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
no substance on immigration or economy, the real two big issues

Take your pick, joining the Euro, illegal immigrant amnesty, abolishing jail sentences under 6 months, or Vince Cable having (wrongly) convinced people he knows about the economy.

Clegg did quite well in the debates, but the British public has restored my faith and seen through their complete unsuitability to govern.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
LD hold Westmoreland. Now 56. Expect two more = 58 seats.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Their 'support' was always strongest among younger voters, who are the least likely to vote (unless it's voting to kick someone out of Channel 4's Big Brother, as opposed to something important like who's going to run the country).

Lib Dem support (like the old Liberals before them) has always been 'soft' compared to that of the two main parties.

That said, I'm still bitterly disappointed; the same old Tweedle Dee, Tweedlee Dum alternation every decade or so between two establishment parties who'll do whatever big business and 'the City' want, and screw over ordinary people instead.

F*** the lot of them.

:rant::US::bla::rant:

I think you've summed up how I feel tbh hon, although I still think there's a glimmer of hope - bearing in mind Clegg's 'Kingmaker' (cringe) position.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Take your pick, joining the Euro, illegal immigrant amnesty, abolishing jail sentences under 6 months, or Vince Cable having (wrongly) convinced people he knows about the economy.

Clegg did quite well in the debates, but the British public has restored my faith and seen through their complete unsuitability to govern.

and now i'm even prouder that my Lib-Dem vote helped to keep a tory out:clap2:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Still some exciting seats in view of the closeness. Three LD seats and four Labour marginals to come plus some (10 ?) Tory definites.

Now C 301 L 255 (+3) LD 56

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Scare mongering by the Tory media about a hung parliament probably had a significant effect on the votes on many liberals with right wing leaning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here