Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When was your 1st Albion game ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
March 1953. My dad took me for my 8th birthday. I'm pretty sure it was Swindon and we lost.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Screenshot 2020-10-22 212246.png

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
My first game at the Goldstone was England B vs Italy B in November 1989.

Pretty sure it ended 1 all. Think Gazza had a great game and may have scored.

My first Albion game was soon afterwards. Another 1 all game against Millwall. Think Perry Digweed saved a penalty.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Yes thanks for that. Ties in with my failing memory! I don't think I went again for a couple of seasons but I know my dad took me again for the boxing day game against Fulham a few years later, thats the one with the 39000+ record crowd.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Can’t remember specific date or who we played but my guess is 1967 ish but could be a year or two out. Player I remember was Brian ‘Tiger’ Tawse. My Dad used to take me to a few games and we sat in the old West Stand as he liked that view the best(good call). Annoyingly though he used to make us leave just before the end to get back to the Dog Track where we parked I think

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
1958. Home to Bristol Rovers.
1-1
Both teams missed a pen. Ours hit the crossbar and theirs hit the roof of the stand.
Got a sore bum sitting on the barrier.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Cardiff at home the last season at the Goldstone 1997

Blimey, and I thought the cab shelters were full of old gits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Ing Gull

Sep 3, 2014
1958 v Bristol Rovers.

That was my first game too. I was confused why there was no replay - it was about the time of the draw fro the FA Cup.

Still confused now.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My first game at the Goldstone was England B vs Italy B in November 1989.

Pretty sure it ended 1 all. Think Gazza had a great game and may have scored.

My first Albion game was soon afterwards. Another 1 all game against Millwall. Think Perry Digweed saved a penalty.
The B game was a great night. The pitch looked so green under the floodlights, I’ve probably got a program for that game knocking about somewhere.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
The B game was a great night. The pitch looked so green under the floodlights, I’ve probably got a program for that game knocking about somewhere.

I also remember the pitch looking really green under the floodlights.

I know the Goldstone was in a bad state in 1989, but to me it was the most magical place in the world.

I had just turned 12 and I was mad about football. Seeing the Goldstone for the first time is a memory that will live with me forever.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Albion 0 Preston 4. 1974 I think. Bobby Charlton was player-manager for Preston and came on as sub.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
17th November 1973 v Chesterfield. 0-0

Can't remember anything other than my team, St Francis U12s had had a tour of the Goldstone prior to the game. Didn't go again until 1976/77 v Halifax. Regrettably, not stop going since!

Scrub that, pretty sure it was Aldershot at the end of the 75/76 season.

Relative youngster here :) New Year's Day 1983 at the Goldstone, dull 1-1 draw v Watforc but memorable because Peter Ward (back on loan) played and I think he scored, only time I saw him play. No doubt someone will enlighten me regarding the goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here