Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When Tony Blair uttered the immortal sound bite....

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
"Education, education, education" Did he ever imagine that a few years on thousands of schools would be closed because of a teachers strike?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
roz old love in your opinion did he and the rest of new labour, including craplan and bassam, sell the people of this country up the river?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
It,s not so much the teachers strike Ian that gets me. Like you as a parent you hope your kids will go to University ? Maybe you are 'loaded' unlike me :ohmy: It is the disgraceful use of FEES that really sets me off. :censored:

Dandyman

In London village.
"Education, education, education" Did he ever imagine that a few years on thousands of schools would be closed because of a teachers strike?

Exactly, Ian. You'd think it was 1987 or summink.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It,s not so much the teachers strike Ian that gets me. Like you as a parent you hope your kids will go to University ? Maybe you are 'loaded' unlike me :ohmy: It is the disgraceful use of FEES that really sets me off. :censored:

From a student's point of view, I completely agree. Maybe in years to come my degree will look like a decent investment, but right now it seems to me that I'm in nearly 20k of debt because I'm pursuing a career which doesn't actually pay all that much anyway (journalism, btw).

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Teacher!Teacher!Teacher! Bully!Bully!Bullly!

Once upon a time the land used to be common land with rights to water. They sold off to private landLords. :nono:

We used to graze our sheep there, pick blackberries and mushrooms, fly model aeroplanes, and now they have put up a fence! :rant:

Tolpuddle Escapees

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Maybe in years to come my degree will look like a decent investment, but right now it seems to me that I'm in nearly 20k of debt because I'm pursuing a career which doesn't actually pay all that much anyway (journalism, btw).

I not only had a grant for uni but I had my fee for my post-grad journalism paid too. If I'd had to pay, there was no way that I'd have done either.

I feel tremendously sorry for kids today, the post-war generation had opportunities that were denied our parents and now, those opportunities have gone. What's gets me is that the people who benefited from those chances are the ones who have hypocritically stopped others from so doing.

And you're right, journalism doesn't pay that much......:angry:

Whenever the debate on University fees crops up, I also think of all that free and subsidised state training on: carpenters, plumbers, sparkies etc and all that training, development courses for the unemployed, socially excluded.

Why we as a nation seem bitter towards "students" is beyond me?

Back to 1997, Education in our inner city schools was a disgrace, from looking at our local area, there has been a vast improvement in education results and some stunning school buildings built, replacing educational slums.

However, I am not impressed by the Government lack of targetting the worst schools, lack of resources (teachers) in overcrowded classrooms.

We obviously have an education system in the world top 10 or 20, but boy it can be improved a lot for for the mass of pupils.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Whenever the debate on University fees crops up, I also think of all that free and subsidised state training on: carpenters, plumbers, sparkies etc and all that training, development courses for the unemployed, socially excluded.

Why we as a nation seem bitter towards "students" is beyond me?

Back to 1997, Education in our inner city schools was a disgrace, from looking at our local area, there has been a vast improvement in education results and some stunning school buildings built, replacing educational slums.

However, I am not impressed by the Government lack of targetting the worst schools, lack of resources (teachers) in overcrowded classrooms.

We obviously have an education system in the world top 10 or 20, but boy it can be improved a lot for for the mass of pupils.
Brilliant I feel a whole lot better now!

Brilliant I feel a whole lot better now!

Just being a realist, in relation to the thread title.

Actually Blair's been brialliant and so has Brown, our education system blows away the Swedish, other nordic systems apart, the German system well that's pants as well. And my typing needs improving despite the billions spent on my educaton.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It appears that new labour is all about soundbites and little else.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There has been plenty of investment in schools - which I suspect would only have happened under a Labour government. I am not too confident about how some of it was funded - but Labour have put our money where their mouth is.

There has been plenty of investment in schools - which I suspect would only have happened under a Labour government. I am not too confident about how some of it was funded - but Labour have put our money where their mouth is.

Problems are:

1. Councils have been forced to sell off their smaller schools to obtain revenue, leaving few opportunities to build new
2. The school building stock, especially inner city areas, is victorian, designed for different education requirements, I think of my beloved Stamford here.
3. Whilst capital investment looks good in sound bites, what is really needed are more teachers, and smaller classroom sizes.

bojans right foot

Mar 2, 2008
education education education what a joke .16 % of kids leave school not being able to read or write . All the billions put into education and thats the result . Vote tory and kick this lot of con men out

education education education what a joke .16 % of kids leave school not being able to read or write . All the billions put into education and thats the result . Vote tory and kick this lot of con men out

Unfortunately, despite the recent 20 years or whatever of Conservative Governements and them in power for the majority of time since the 1880's, the situation was even worst under the tories. Lets not forget the Tories were against Labour school investrment/ spending plans, and it was the tories that changed the rules to allow schools/ local authorities to sell off schools and land for housing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here