Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Outstanding Television, about the New Orleans storm/flood.

Did anyone else watch this? Some interesting theories bandied about. It was lovely to see George W Bush with his finger on the pulse. :dunce:

The concluding part is tonight. :clap:

Some very moving moments though....:down:

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Yes - I was going to start a thread about this but only saw the first hour - it was brilliant (but I went to bed). I watched some of Euro 2004 in an Irish bar in New Orleans (the only place in town showing the England game) which, having been in a low-lying area of wooden buildings, must have been completely demolished by the flood. It's such shame about a great city, hopefully it will be again. The population is still at half pre-Katrina levels, I was just reading.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It seemed such a shame that many stayed saying that God would look after them.

It was a city on my must see list, such a shame that it was decimated.

I didn't realise Sean Penn was an integral part in some of the rescues. Not that he deserves any more praise than all of the others, but you couldn't imagine Tom Cruise swimming about helping people. I guess he would be out of his depth.

The most galling part was Bush flying over in an airplane to have a look at the damage, whilst 1,000s were still stranded!

Plus, praising the man in charge of the rescue/clean up operation, then removing him three days later!

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Nope. Watched Losing Gemma on ITV instead, which was utter cack, but had an extremely shaggable woman starring it, frequently in her bikini, so I nobly persevered to the end.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I sail out of New Orleans every Sunday now & I was working out of here pre-Katrina too. Speaking to some of the guys I know here, the city feels let down by government big style. They feel much the same as Kayne West does about George Bush.
It wasn't as if we didn't know it couldn't happen though; people have been warning that this could happen for donkeys years.
It just amazes me that the American response to any emergency is to pull out a gun; I mean ANY emergency, I've seen it happen here.

There was a motion tabled at the beginning of the year to re-enforce and stabilise the levees, which were overdue some attention.
The republicans brushed it aside because they didn't want to allocate the money to that. In the end it'll cost the US billions, not to mention the loss of life, homes, and personal belongings that are beyond price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here