Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When I realised that it will happen...

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Just a little story I thought I would share...On Tuesday I was at a black tie dinner and couldn't have my phone on me, the evening went on forever and when we retired to the bar, the barman (I had asked him to keep an eye on the scores for me) handed me a note, it read:

"Brighton - Notts County

1 - 0

Calderon 63mn"

I felt so happy that we had won a game that I had thought might have been a problem for us. The barman then said...

"Southampton drew as well mate"

For some reason I looked at my watch and at 2348hrs on Tuesday 22 March 2011, I knew we would get promoted and I could relax and enjoy the rest of the season.

When did you realise we would go up or are you still a bit worried that it will all go very wrong?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
For me it was when Bridcutt volleyed in the winner against Carlisle, one minute after we had conceeded and four minutes in to injury time. Once I had stopped going mental I turned to my mate and said "we have just won the league". I have not felt nervous since then despite a few close results. Promotion at Walsall away, Champions either at home to Southampton or at Colchester.

Stumpy Tim

I think there have been a few key moments this season which made me believe:

1. Sandaza winner at home to Oldham to send us top
2. Peterborough and Charlton away games
3. Charlton at home was probably when I expected promotion. We were on a mini bad run, went 1-0 down and down to ten men very early. Drawing that game gave us the confidence for 2011 I think

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Still a bit cautious, but the moment I thought 'this is really going to happen' was after our 4-0 drubbing of Plymouth.

I think we lost the next game though...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I need to break this down in 2 parts.

Stumpy's comments sums up well the start. In particular the Oldham game, when I thought "last year, we wouldn't have won this"

But the moment I thought, "yep, we are defintely going to do this!" is Pantini's comment on Bridcutt's last minute winner against Carlisle.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
For me it was when Bridcutt volleyed in the winner against Carlisle, one minute after we had conceeded and four minutes in to injury time. Once I had stopped going mental I turned to my mate and said "we have just won the league". I have not felt nervous since then despite a few close results. Promotion at Walsall away, Champions either at home to Southampton or at Colchester.

Did you ever find your keys?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
10 points clear with 2 games in hand with 10 games left,game over,but can we keep winning without playing well.Everybody says the sign of a good team is when they win without playing well.Sooner or later we will have to improve or we will come unstuck.The last two games has seen us lose 2 key players to injury while others are obviously running on empty.There is no doubt that we have been the most consistent team so far this season but the season is over 46 games not 36.Our next 2 games are against teams fighting to stay up so we will have to be at our best to win because we know how hard teams at the bottom fight.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
10 points clear with 2 games in hand with 10 games left,game over,but can we keep winning without playing well.
Strange isn't it - we've won six on the spin but haven't really played that well in any of them, certainly not compared to some of the performances earlier in the season, or even earlier this year. Makes me think we're overdue a good one tho... someone's going to get a tonking.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
after the charlton and peterborough games i concluded that we were going to be pretty unstoppable this season, but like mentioned earlier, when bridcutt scored that volley, i couldnt really see past the championship. promotion at walsall away... bought my ticket today :D

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was pretty confident after the Cup game against Portsmouth as I knew the players would get confidence from the way they'd outplayed a supposedly 'superior' side. However I knew there was a long way to go.

The moment I became 100% confident was after the 4-0 home win over Plymouth. Not just because we'd won but because all the others had dropped points; none of them had shown consistency.

I can't believe there are some who still seriously think there's even a remote chance that we'll slip up - and to those who say you shouldn't count your chickens it's too late; I've counted, hatched, reared, slaughtered, plucked, roasted and eaten them.

Sep 1, 2010
When i asked Niall Quinn after the friendly in Portugal against Sunderland if we could have a few of their players and him replying "your joking we may need some of yours". I knew we were bloody good then.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
10 points clear with 2 games in hand with 10 games left,game over,but can we keep winning without playing well.Everybody says the sign of a good team is when they win without playing well.Sooner or later we will have to improve or we will come unstuck.The last two games has seen us lose 2 key players to injury while others are obviously running on empty.There is no doubt that we have been the most consistent team so far this season but the season is over 46 games not 36.Our next 2 games are against teams fighting to stay up so we will have to be at our best to win because we know how hard teams at the bottom fight.

Why do people keep saying this? We may not be scoring hatfuls of goals but Notts County were never in the game on Tuesday. We kept our SIXTH clean sheet in eight games (our fourth in a row). We may not be scoring so freely - although we had chances early on - but we are not playing badly. Jesus would people stop being so cliche about this.

We are strolling to the title and doing what Champions do - winning game after game with very little threat from many opponents.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Why do people keep saying this? We may not be scoring hatfuls of goals but Notts County were never in the game on Tuesday. We kept our SIXTH clean sheet in eight games (our fourth in a row). We may not be scoring so freely - although we had chances early on - but we are not playing badly.

You have to agree that it's been quite tense though. Saturday could have been a draw if they'd converted that last minute gifter for example. Thing is, we're still racking up the points so there's a good chance it's all intentional; the players aren't mugs and neither is Gus. I'm tempted to suggest that Gus has told the lads to keep the pace slower so as to avoid so many injuries considering how many games we have stacked up this month.

The long and short of it though is that we're now so far ahead, it would take a proper catastrophic run of results to miss out on promotion. It's all well and good suggesting that you can't win every match and this is true, but it's true for the chasing pack as well. I honestly can't see how we could screw up from this point.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Poyet has said that 5 more wins should give us promotion. Mathmatically 5 wins WILL give us promotion (unless we have a 20-0 reverse somewhere). He is assuming nothing publically even at this stage, I bet the players are being told keep things going and lets break records, lets not just go up, lets do it in style.

Anyway 1-0 wins keeps the fans on their toes and stops people running off early when we are 3-0 up to get the bus to the park and ride :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here