Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] When did you last have marmalade?

Marmalade?

• I've never tried it, but I might now, just to be part of the fun

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
This is very bizarre. I have now had three seperate marmalade related incidences in one day.

No.1. This morning my daughter's boyfriend revealed that he had never eaten marmalade despite liking orange flavoured products (Club chocolate biscuits, Jaffa Cakes etc). This revelation prompted me to buy a jar for him to try, the first I've bought in about a year.

No. 2. After the marmalade discussion and subsequent purchase I opened NSC and saw this thread and thought "that's a coincidence" but was too busy to post a reply.

No.3. Just now I was driving in the car listening to Radio 5 when they started to discuss Marmalade.

You need to watch Paddington 2 tonight. Wonderful film and loads of marmalade.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Love a bit of Marmalade. It’s an occasional thing for me when I feel like a pot of tea and a few slices of toast at the table. In a toast rack, of course.
I like my marmalade strong, dark, bitter and pithy. On mildly burnt toast with real butter. Smashing.
I always have a jar of good stuff in the larder. Down on the flag-stones to keep just the right side of cool.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Never understood Bagels, a flavourless, stale ring doughnut.

Supermarket ones can be rather tough. But the best ones in Brighton are served up at Bagelman.
I watch what I eat these days but when I worked round the corner in Middle St, Friday morning was always Ham (proper cooked, real ham) cheddar and coleslaw on a warm onion bagel washed down with a big mug of tea. Ahhh man, one of the nicest things I’ve had locally.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
None of the above options.

Used to have it occasionally but now we don't eat bread, we don't eat marmalade either.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Love the stuff, but it has to be shredless. I don't have it that often which always surprises me when I do have it as it's lovely.
Lemon curd is the other thing I absolutely love but haven't had for years......going to order some.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Maybe the stale, mass produced knock offs you get in the UK but a fresh bagel with salmon, cream cheese, onions and tomato from a Jewish delicatessen in New York is amazing

Love living in Brighton but I do miss NY , especially the upper east side . My favourite part of Manhattan.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Turned down the offer of marmalade only this morning. We have some in the fridge, and sometimes Meade Jr asks for it on toast, meaning there's a knife to be licked and, for the love of Keith Barron the third, i put tongue to dull sweet blade like a fatherly gentleman.
The portion I failed to revere this morn would have gotten in the way of butter already soothingly smeared.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ironically the best thing to put in a bagels is sausage.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

matron.JPG

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Mrs SS makes her own, and damn fine stuff it is too.
Excellent on toast or fresh bread - thinly spread on granary of course - probs 2-3 times a week.

Option 3 has me concerned - how would anyone know what the devils crotch scrapings taste like? Yet 15 NSC'ers [at last count] apparently do !!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I really like it - thick cut for me. Generally have it about once a week.

I used to make my own, until I discovered Rosebud Preserves made ooop north.

They make the proper stuff: ingredients are oranges, sugar, and lemon juice - that’s it. It’s utterly brilliant. As are all their jams. In particular, I love their strawberry, raspberry, rhubarb and elderflower, and plum jams - all made just how your grandmother would have done, had she made jams. It’s really not cheap, but I’ve realised there’s no point making my own - I’m never going to get close to making them as well as they do. Mail order is available.

Oh, their piccalilli is to die for too.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Love a bit of Marmalade. It’s an occasional thing for me when I feel like a pot of tea and a few slices of toast at the table. In a toast rack, of course.
I like my marmalade strong, dark, bitter and pithy. On mildly burnt toast with real butter. Smashing.
I always have a jar of good stuff in the larder. Down on the flag-stones to keep just the right side of cool.

Ohhhh ..... look at you, so posh, a LARDER ! With FLAGSTONES !!!

I'm actually jealous :)

Back to the marmalade debate - love it - like it slightly bitter but I also like the Lemon Shred ( dirty but oh so nice ).

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Ohhhh ..... look at you, so posh, a LARDER ! With FLAGSTONES !!!

I'm actually jealous :)

Back to the marmalade debate - love it - like it slightly bitter but I also like the Lemon Shred ( dirty but oh so nice ).

If you saw the space, Larder is a rather grand term for it :)

Lemon shred is nice, I’m partial to a lime marmalade. Love a variation on a theme

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A few supermarkets (Sainsbury's, Co-op) do a very nice three fruits marmalade, made with orange, lemon and grapefruit. Highly recommended.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I am delighted that the great fruit preserve debate has gone positively viral.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here