Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did you KNOW you were Brighton

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
my late grandfather(liverpool fan) buying me a brighton scarf and living there when young..the days of spending all my pocket money on panini football stickers and playing swopsies at st bartholemews school(the playground we had was on top of a multistorey car park) until complaints from us littleuns for dropping stones down the drains on to the cars..the day when woolworths reopened after the fire and affording to buy half price smokey lego

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Liverpool away for me. 2-2 draw.

Never felt that kind of elation before that Byrne header.

I went f***ing BANANAS

[yt]NRh2s_l_3hU[/yt]
Did we have linesman in those days? With Rush running goal side of our back 4, how could anyone think he was onside?

I remember that Byrne goal so clearly. We all went bananas.

shellsuit

Feb 5, 2009
it was when i was a little boy,i asked my dad what i should be,maybe support palace or brighton........the soapy mouthwash was a bit of a shock but the firearm swung my decision

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
From the minute I walked into the goldstone aged 12 for the preseason friendly against arsenal in the 88 season. We lost 7-2!! But I loved every minute of the game and couldn't sleep a wink (a bit like tonight!) for days after. Been hooked since. Can't believe the rollercoaster ride the last 20 odd years have given me when you look back......

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
1978 aged 5... think we lost 3-1 to Bristol city and i vaguely recall standing in the middle of the east terrace feeling a bit scared by all the tall people...However my first memory of actually caring about the albion was around 80-81...

Unlike many, I don't miss the goldstone as during the mid 80's and 90's it became more and more run down and the atmosphere on some days especially during the Lloyd and Case years was dreadful. Stanley, Archer and Belotti have alot to answer for but in fairness so do those at the club after Bamber died for letting the ground become so run down.

I now love the Amex and I know that unlike many others who passed away before August, if I die tomorrow then I will die happy that the club I love is in safe hands and on the brink of something exciting!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
1970, my uncle took me to my first game. South Stand upper in the seats. I remember all the old fella's saying to me, "welcome to the club young un, you're in for life now". I was only 9 but I remember them laughing as they said it. I was hooked from that day, & I hope those old fella's know what's happening now.

willow147

Mar 16, 2011
Romney Marsh, Kent
Ever since my first game in '75 as a 9 year old.

The game was against Cardiff and we lost 1:0. Sadly my only memory of the day was where I stood. I was in the west stand, standing just to the right of the tunnel as viewed from the chicken run. I was right at the front, in line with the second 'S' of the "ESSO" advertising board. Don't ask me how/why I remember that, I just do.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
England under 21s at Goldstone..... Peter Ward's hat-trick against Norway

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
23 March 1976. Joe Kinnear's Testimonial....... Arrived as a Spurs follower, left as a Brighton fan.
..... and just for the record, this is the best it's EVER been! Watching Wardy weave his magic will never diminish in my memory, but this team in this stadium, with Gus and Tony Bloom running the show is truly wonderful.

As a twelve year old in the South Stand at the Goldstone 1978 Brighton 3 Spurs 1. I 'supported' Spurs because my neighbour did but left
the ground knowing something was seriously wrong! My dad took me but made us leave early as loads of crowd trouble...I clearly remember a copper
on horseback lifting a Spurs fan up by the scruff of his neck and carrying him off. I have Really vivid memories of this game.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think you are right, it was 1981/2 and we won 2-1. They took the lead through John Hollins but Mike Robinson and Andy Ritchie gave us the three points.

I think that might be the ONLY time we have beaten Arsenal.

Brighton beat Arsenal 1-0 at the Goldstone the following season.

Mattstrugnell

PC Beard's Stare
Jan 2, 2011
1994 v Bournemouth. As I remember it 3-1 down with 10 minutes left. I think McCarthy & Edwards scored to draw the game in front of a very bouncy North Stand. My first game, never looked back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here