Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did you KNOW you were Brighton

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Liverpool away for me. 2-2 draw.

Never felt that kind of elation before that Byrne header.

I went f***ing BANANAS

[yt]NRh2s_l_3hU[/yt]

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
1975 went to my first match age 5

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Came down on the overnight train from Manchester Piccadilly a Red, by half time I was an Albion fan. I still don't know why.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As soon as I knew there was a Brighton & Hove Albion - about 1975.

I used to watch results come in after the wrestling on World of Sport at my gran's, and always watch results of the top teams, Liverpool, Ipswich Town, Manchester City and QPR. I got fairly bored until one day I watched through to later and saw there was a BRIGHTON.

Didn't need to know anything about it (apart from seeing we were near the top of Division 3), it was my town where I came from, so my team.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Sorry I should enlarge, I went in 1973 (thanks to the person that told me on here) supporting Chelsea in an FA Cup game. I was 9. We lived in Littlehampton and had just moved south. I loved the Goldstone from that first visit. I never stopped supporting Chelsea but even in their dark days I never went watched them, so no armchair fan. But I spent my youth going to the Albion once I had been hooked by the Chelsea game. I am a very proud Seagull.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
First game. I was just 10.

My father is a rugby and cricket man and worked tirelessly during the 80s/90s to ensure his company did not do tits up, so most Sautrdays he worked. Prior to my first game, I supported Liverpool. Had the scarf and watched them on TV. Being at a live football match was magical. Sammy Nelson took our school football team as he still had links with the Goldstone and the rest is history. I often wonder whether I would have supported someone else if I had seen a live match elsewhere, but I trust myself that I would have always supported my local team in the end.

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
1997. The end of the final year at the Goldstone brought out emotions I had never felt while an impressionable youth getting into football at school wearing a Man Utd replica shirt at after school football training.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
1974 I was born and my birth certificate said Brighton, but after that would be 1982 when my dad took me into the Goldstone. As we walked by the ticket office on Newtown Rd on gameday with all the atmosphere, we went into the south stand and he bought me a roll of fruit gums that nearly broke my teeth. When the albion ran out on the pitch to GOSBTS I knew that this was special and that nothing in my life before was like it, and nothing in my life after would be the same!!! The bovril at half time was enough to warm me up for the rest of the match and ever since I was hooked.
I love the Amex but damn I miss The Goldstone.

SEAGULLS!!!!!!!!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Liverpool away for me. 2-2 draw.

Never felt that kind of elation before that Byrne header.

I went f***ing BANANAS

[yt]NRh2s_l_3hU[/yt]

What a goal Johnny Byrne!

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I was very young but I went with my brother in 1982 and we beat Arsenal; his team.

I reckon it's Arsenal in '82 but I can't be sure. It was with my older brother who's a Gooner. I was a young lad and utterly inspired by the swaying blue crowd. Talking of which it's absolutely brilliant to see so many young fans about.

I reckon 7 years old is about the age you can watch on in wonder and have a sniff of a memory. Happy to be proven wrong! I have a couple of nephews younger than that who should be turned from red to blue.

I'm beginning to think we're the best run club in the country.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was very young but I went with my brother in 1982 and we beat Arsenal; his team.

I reckon it's Arsenal in '82 but I can't be sure. It was with my older brother who's a Gooner. I was a young lad and utterly inspired by the swaying blue crowd. Talking of which it's absolutely brilliant to see so many young fans about.

I think you are right, it was 1981/2 and we won 2-1. They took the lead through John Hollins but Mike Robinson and Andy Ritchie gave us the three points.

I think that might be the ONLY time we have beaten Arsenal.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I looked up to the sky,
A seagull shat in my eye,

And I knew.

When my mates dad took us to see Liverpool come down to the Goldstone, 4th round of the FA CUP, 1990/1991 season. I was 7. We lost 3 - 2.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My first live game was the England Norway u21 when Ward got his hatrick. My father took me more as a treat than anything else. And I remember being excited more about the sights, sounds and smell and the feel of being in a huge crowd as opposed to the game. I asked him to take me again and we went to Brighton Bolton on October 8th 1977. He carried on taking me and that was it really. I had a few years off when I was a student in the late 80s early 90s but me, bro Thumper and Pops Thumper have continued to this day. When did I know? Not sure, but from that Bolton game I was.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I think you are right, it was 1981/2 and we won 2-1. They took the lead through John Hollins but Mike Robinson and Andy Ritchie gave us the three points.

I think that might be the ONLY time we have beaten Arsenal.

I think you're right. Well it was enough for me! I have a very vague memory of us being 9th and them 7th and thinking we were about to quietly outflank them in the world of football. Maybe next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here