Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

when did you first get online?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
bigc said:
its the most stable system to use online now(win 3.1) out of all the windows system, because nobody writes viruses which work in windows 3.1!lol

You know, that's a very good point. However, there was/is a fundermental diference between 3.1 and 3.11. 3.11 supports peer to peer networking whereas 3.1 doesn't.

Now if that must rate as the geekiest post ever on NSC.

I apologise.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I thought the main difference was that 3.11 had Hearts aswell as Minesweeper and Solitare

;)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Rambo said:
1997 for me from home via a shitty 56k modem.

56k Was the dogs bollox in 1997 though, I was using a 33K one at that time. I've seen so much change in IT since I started (punch cards and paper tape when I started, VDUs were sexually transmitted in those days) AND NOW IT BORES THE ARSE OFF ME !

Tazman

Jul 5, 2003
Seaford Where else!
about 3 years ago for me, i'd be lost without it now, work rest and play online!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
56k Was the dogs bollox in 1997 though, I was using a 33K one at that time. I've seen so much change in IT since I started (punch cards and paper tape when I started, VDUs were sexually transmitted in those days) AND NOW IT BORES THE ARSE OFF ME !

you prefer DOS then?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
As in DOS/VSE, MS/DOS or PC/DOS ?

Told you it bores me rigid thesed days (bet you've never even heard of DOS/VSE).

Oh, I forgot DOS/GRASP as well.

Last edited:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
As in DOS/VSE, MS/DOS or PC/DOS ?

Told you it bores me rigid thesed days (bet you've never even heard of DOS/VSE).

Oh, I forgot DOS/GRASP as well.

you're experienced arent you?lol

no I've never ever heard of DOS/VSE

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
DOS/VSE and DOS/GRASP were IBM mainframe operating systems with their roots in the 60s. I might mention OS/MFT, OS/MVT, OS/VS1, OS/VS2, MVS and VM but that would far too tedious.

Yes, I am long in the tooth. Ask Dave the Gaffer about System 3s to AS/400s. They all predate Unix (as we know it now anyway) let alone any PC system.

Told you I was bored with it !

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
1996. This was on computer number three, a 386 using Windows 3.11.

On the previous computer I worked under DOS using a front end called Powermenu.

Before, that it was an operating system called PCM or something like that on an Amstrad machine. It still had a few things that Windows XP (big rip-off) hasn't got around to yet, like a multiple clipboard extras (now available with utility programs).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here