sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
shingle said:
Surely,

32,000 saw us beat Sheffield Wednesday in FA Cup semi final

at Highbury in 1983
The crowd at Highbury was 56000.more than Arsenal and Manure could attract for their Semi-final

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
sams dad said:
The crowd at Highbury was 56000.more than Arsenal and Manure could attract for their Semi-final

Youre right SD, but I think our support was around the 30.000 mark, all jammed in at the clock end, and that Jimmy Case freekick. My all time best albion experience

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
saltash seagull said:
everytime i watch the video of sunday and see that sea of blue and white celebrating it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up
Same here. I rewind it back to about 30secs before the penalty was comitted and just sit and watch in self indulgence with a real nice butterfly sort of feeling in my stomach. Whenever I feel down I'll just put on that tape and let those great memories flow over me.
I just wish that I could go back in time and experience that whole day again. Thankyou whoever invented the video recorder.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Good post this one.

What is the second largest crowd to see an Albion win, the previous best? Probably 54,627 at Highbury for the FA Cup semi-final.

What is the largest Albion crowd of Albion supporters: it could have been the 1991 play-off final, although I do not know how many actually travelled up from the south coast? I have a figure of 32,400 but I do not know if this is right.

There have been bigger Goldstone crowds than this. The record crowd of 36,747 v. Fulham (Division 2, 1958) was before my time, but must have had 4000 Londoners, so even then this would be not the highest?

The biggest queues were for the FA Cup match against Chelsea in 1965, and I think the away allocation was nil in a capacity 35,000 but still a thousand might have got in, not that I heard a cheer when Chelsea scored, but I was only small then.

Another good contender would be the 34,766 against Rochdale for a Division 3 match in 1971, and I doubt if the away contingent was more than 6. You could hear a pin drop when Ray Train scored for them. And there were probably thousands locked out as the queue was four deep to Sackville Road and beyond when the match kicked off.

I do not know where this places Rochdale in the heirarchy of visiting teams. When we got relegated to Divsion 3 for the next time we played them the gate was back down to 18,000 or so.

plymouth nige

plymouth nige
Oct 21, 2003
plymouth
The biggest queues were for the FA Cup match against Chelsea in 1965, and I think the away allocation was nil in a capacity 35,000 but still a thousand might have got in, not that I heard a cheer when Chelsea scored, but I was only small then.

Chelsea were spread through the crowd, I was in the South Stand and spent the whole game trying to out chant Chelsea, best atmosphere I ever experienced at the Goldstone.
wcnige

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Some good memories on this thread. That Tottenham game in 1978 was the only time that I couldn't get into the Goldstone Ground. I don't think it was all-ticket and it was all sold-out by about 2.30. We tried all the different entrances and could have gone in the Spurs end, but it didn't seem right.

The Rochdale game in '71 was one big, heaving crowd. I remember how tightly packed we were - it was amazing that there weren't more disasters when you come to think about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here