Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats your starting 11?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
looks good doesn't it?

but as we've upped the quality across the park it does make me think we need a top notch centre half - done for pace quite a bit last season but maybe i'm getting picky now. everyone else happy??

No. When I am in ultra-critical mode that is an area that needs addressing. We are lacking one speedy/mobile (obviously good in the air) centre back to complete the defence. We are very good at blocking shots but slightly weak in the air (Greer makes up for a slight aerial weakness by exceptional positioning: el Abd lacks that inch or two of height : Dunk is not always positionally the best and needs to strengthen his neck muscles: Elphick's fitness has yet to be proven) and maybe lack a little bit of pace/turning speed. Highly critical because you expect centre backs to be not quite as quick but if you want the very best................. I would love to have young Miquel on loan from Arsenal

That said we won't lose too many games to defensive mistakes if they play as they did last season. I felt that often the problem was that we gave the ball away in our third just as we broke out of defence so the players were coming forward and suddenly had to check and turn and try to regain shape without the space to work in. Hard to blame the defence when that happens and hopefully that will be a less frequent occurrence with Crofty in midfield to carry the ball away.

My starting side as it stands is:

Kuszczak
Bruno Greer el Abd Bridge
Bridcutt Crofts
Buckley Barnes Vicente
CMS

It will be interesting to see which of Noone or LuaLua get "first change" status as the player to bring pace against tiring defences.
Interesting too to see what the pecking order will be between Dunk and Elphick / Calderon and Vincelot, as defensive subs, and between Harley, Sparrow and Dicker in midfield.
As it stands we only have Agdestein in reserve as a striking option (unless Barker can step up) until Hoskins returns so that new striker is looking more and more urgent. Assuming we get who Gus wants I reckon they will take Barnes' starting place.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
No. When I am in ultra-critical mode that is an area that needs addressing. We are lacking one speedy/mobile (obviously good in the air) centre back to complete the defence. We are very good at blocking shots but slightly weak in the air (Greer makes up for a slight aerial weakness by exceptional positioning: el Abd lacks that inch or two of height : Dunk is not always positionally the best and needs to strengthen his neck muscles: Elphick's fitness has yet to be proven) and maybe lack a little bit of pace/turning speed. Highly critical because you expect centre backs to be not quite as quick but if you want the very best................. I would love to have young Miquel on loan from Arsenal

That said we won't lose too many games to defensive mistakes if they play as they did last season. I felt that often the problem was that we gave the ball away in our third just as we broke out of defence so the players were coming forward and suddenly had to check and turn and try to regain shape without the space to work in. Hard to blame the defence when that happens and hopefully that will be a less frequent occurrence with Crofty in midfield to carry the ball away.

My starting side as it stands is:

Kuszczak
Bruno Greer el Abd Bridge
Bridcutt Crofts
Buckley Barnes Vicente
CMS

It will be interesting to see which of Noone or LuaLua get "first change" status as the player to bring pace against tiring defences.
Interesting too to see what the pecking order will be between Dunk and Elphick / Calderon and Vincelot, as defensive subs, and between Harley, Sparrow and Dicker in midfield.
As it stands we only have Agdestein in reserve as a striking option (unless Barker can step up) until Hoskins returns so that new striker is looking more and more urgent. Assuming we get who Gus wants I reckon they will take Barnes' starting place.

That still could happen imo but it will be an end of the window move as Wenger will only let him come if he gets in a replacement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here