Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] What’s your favourite “years and years” film?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
deer hunter......kubrick's Ai.

Just out of interest when was the last time you saw Deer Hunter?

I remember watching it when possibly too young to watch.
Then being all excited X years later for a rewatch, only to realise its proper shite and needs about 4 hours edited out of it!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Obvious one, but - Boyhood.

Yeah, I was going to nominate that - even though I’ve never actually seen it, I’m aware of the premise (filmed over 12 years, using the same actor as he actually grows up from 6 to 18 in real life).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, I was going to nominate that - even though I’ve never actually seen it, I’m aware of the premise (filmed over 12 years, using the same actor as he actually grows up from 6 to 18 in real life).

Very ambitious idea - and I think it works pretty well.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Then being all excited X years later for a rewatch, only to realise its proper shite and needs about 4 hours edited out of it!

Glad it wasn't just me thinking that. Still a great film but a little judicious trimming would not have lessened it's impact.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What are the perimeters?

Can we have:

Back to the Future (and sequels)? (time travel so actions takes part in various years)
Batman Begins? (flashbacks to various stages of life)
Superman? (various stages of life chronologically)
Avengers Endgame? (five year time jump)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’d say go with your own parameters but, personally, I imagine a film that unfolds over at least a couple of decades.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Goodbye Mr Chips. (The Robert Donat version)

In the same vein "Little Big Man". I was also wondering if these films actually belong in the "set in one day" thread as both these films depict a man reminiscing about his past which they do within the course of the same day over a few hours. It is only their reminiscences which are set over the course of a few years but those reminiscences occur in the present of that one day....

MV5BMWQwNTZjNTgtMGQyMS00ZTI3LWFkNzEtYzIxM2EwZGYxMDU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_UY1200_CR77.jpg

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

would have been years ago.....yonks , probably munted as well...:shrug: i'll watch it again and see what way current feelings are , always preferred it to Apocolypse.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
would have been years ago.....yonks , probably munted as well...:shrug: i'll watch it again and see what way current feelings are , always preferred it to Apocolypse.

That's a big call.

I've been to shorter weddings than the one depicted in Deer Hunter. :lol:
I remember thinking, second time around, 'how the hell did I get through this', while vowing never to watch that again.

Not the thought process associated with a 'classic'.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Not a film but a reality TV series, 7 Up, following a group of kids from various backgrounds in the 1960s from age 7 and re-visiting every 7 years.

Fascinating stuff watching them develop over the decades but quite sad at times.

Think they're up to 63 Up now!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here