Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your favourite random anecdote

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You know the kind of thing, the one story that you always tell, or just plan crowbar into any conversation.

This one hasn't left me and whenever ESP stuff is mentioned I churn it out like a stuck record.
I knew I'd posted it here, too but scared myself that it was 7 years ago, :ohmy::-

There was a big thing on 5 live about people not using anywhere near their full brain capacity, sighting a story about Fangio (sp).

He was driving his Ferrari in the Monte Carlo GP, & as he approached a blind hairpin he completely locked up & crawled around the bend.
On the other side, unknown to him, was a massive pile up. He edged his way through & won the race.
Naturally everyone, press, spectators etc, went crazy 'that's why he's the champ', 'it's god's way' etc etc.
Fangio wasn't happy with this, it took him 2-3 months to work it out. He kept going through the events in his mind until he realised, that as he approached the bend, without knowing in a split second, his brain had worked out that nobody in the crowd was looking @ him, even though he was Fangio, World Champion, in a Ferrari, at Monte Carlo.
They were all looking around the corner. His brain told his foot there was danger around the corner & he braked accordingly.
All without him actually knowing what was going on.

I love that anecdote.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Is it true...? Google wasn't my friend on this occasion... can you find a link to more information?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Mine's is probably the one about the Aberdonian up in court for having, how you say, intimate relations with a cow. His defence was that he got caught short on the way back from the pub, nipped into a field for a leak and the cow reversed into him.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I drank a near-full bottle of whisky when I was four years old, was in a coma for three days and at the time was given a 50% chance of surviving. My sweat stank of alchohol for months, including at my first school sports day.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
A member of Troon was drinking his usual G&T's all day and drove home. On the way home he was pulled over and breathalysed and passed! He turned around, went back to the clubhouse and sacked the barsteward for watering down the Gin!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I heard one about a group on a stag do getting pissed up in a bar at Stansted and Sean Connery coming in. They got talking and asked him who was the most famous person he'd shagged, when and where. He starts laughing and refuses to tell them. After several pints and some decent banter with them he takes his leave. As he gets to the door he turns round and shouts "Boys, Vanessa Redgrave, 1965, up the arse!" I'm sure its not true but it did make me laugh.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Mine's is probably the one about the Aberdonian up in court for having, how you say, intimate relations with a cow. His defence was that he got caught short on the way back from the pub, nipped into a field for a leak and the cow reversed into him.

Not that I want to visualise this too much you understand, but wouldn't he have needed a stepladder?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not that I want to visualise this too much you understand, but wouldn't he have needed a stepladder?

Exhibit A m'lud

aberdeen_angus_470_470x300.jpg

Oct 6, 2010
Can I just confirm that you have taken the time, to search for a picture of a cow, that is of suitable size for "entering" without a step-ladder??

Oh right....... ;)

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Either that cow's a midget, or the people holding on to them are giants!

Or its a labrador with horns strapped on.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I played a gig a few years ago with Steve Diggle from the Buzzcocks and he had a great story about them being on the final Nirvana tour and Dave Grohl, realising the end was near was hawking round a demo tape with loads of songs that he'd written. Steve in his infinite wisdom said "yeah yeah yeah, drummers shouldn't write songs - stick to hitting stuff with wood" and chucked the tape in a guitar case. A few years later he found the tape and listened to it, it was home recorded versions of the first Foo Fighters album...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I heard one about a group on a stag do getting pissed up in a bar at Stansted and Sean Connery coming in. They got talking and asked him who was the most famous person he'd shagged, when and where. He starts laughing and refuses to tell them. After several pints and some decent banter with them he takes his leave. As he gets to the door he turns round and shouts "Boys, Vanessa Redgrave, 1965, up the arse!" I'm sure its not true but it did make me laugh.

Brilliant

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it true...? Google wasn't my friend on this occasion... can you find a link to more information?
I've no reason to doubt the 'ESP v actual brain capacity' fella that was on 5-live.

The story came up because a woman phoned in to say her Mum was gifted.
During the war she inexplicitly ran past a building which promptly collapsed.
Fella said no her brain probably registered something and took flight before she 'knew' what was happening.
Then followed the Fangio story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here