Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your favourite BRIDGE?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
209734,xcitefun-oresund-bridge-4.jpg

Is that the inteconnecter between Denmark and Sweden?

TNBA

TTF

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
This bridge in Mostar, Bosnia & Herzegovina is rather lovely

Mostar.jpg

There are hardy folk who sit atop it all day waiting for tourists to bung them a few coins in order to have them leap into the waters below.

The list was just a cut and paste job - from a less than perfect source.

The interesting thing about the swing bridge at Southease is that it was completely restored in 2010 (including replacing the turntable).

BBC News - Restored Southease Bridge officially opened

When I lived in Telscombe Village, at the end of the swinging sixties, I used to drive across it regularly. But these days it's only available to farm traffic and walkers.

Here's a bigger picture:-

southease2.jpg

Thanks Lord B, does it still actually swing (if so how?) or was it a cosmetic restoration?

Thanks Lord B, does it still actually swing (if so how?) or was it a cosmetic restoration?
The note on the Environment Agency's flickr page says that "the old swing mechanism will not be restored as large boats no longer travel upriver to Lewes, although it will be preserved".

Lifting Southease Bridge - a set on Flickr

21 photographs there as well - showing the work to lift the bridge to allow the restoration to take place.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Severn Bridge.jpg

Love this view.

Jameson

Its opposite where I live believe it or not. Llangenny.

I had to look it up to discover it's in the Brecon Beacons.

Wikipedia tells me "The two main features of Llangenny are the parish church of St.Cenau or Saint Keyne and the public house, the Dragons Head Inn. The area is popular with hill-walkers and for camping and outdoor activities."

The sort of place people like me drive hundreds of miles for the pleasure of walking around. :)

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I had to look it up to discover it's in the Brecon Beacons.

Wikipedia tells me "The two main features of Llangenny are the parish church of St.Cenau or Saint Keyne and the public house, the Dragons Head Inn. The area is popular with hill-walkers and for camping and outdoor activities."

The sort of place people like me drive hundreds of miles for the pleasure of walking around. :)
I wrote that :)

I like living here EXCEPT that its so far from Brighton. Signing people like Bridge, Kuszs and the rest doesn't make it any easier either!

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Two for the price of one. Chirk Aquduct and Viaduct - if you used to travel on the old A5 into North Wales you will have seen it. My grandparents owned the Smithy Cafe.

index.php

chirk-llangollen-canal-07.jpg

Ah, Chirk. Beautiful, and I've crossed it many times. For the last year or so I've been moored a bit further down the Llangollen by another well known bridge, not so spectacular, but often quite funny to watch the antics that some of these clowns of boaters get up to.

What a lot of people don't notice (or realise) is that the whole of the road outside Lewes Station (and the main station ticket office) is, in fact, a bridge. It's owned by Network Rail and is subject to a series of rather peculiar licences that were originally agreed between the London Brighton & South Coast Railway and the council. Not all of the road is public highway (although some of it is). Much of it is railway land, including where the taxis park. I've seen the original signed version of the agreement, with the various responsibilities spelt out and a nice set of hand-coloured drawings to go with it.

806454_b9204c02.jpg

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the hump bridge over the river at Lewes
is it still there?

Jameson

What a lot of people don't notice (or realise) is that the whole of the road outside Lewes Station (and the main station ticket office) is, in fact, a bridge. It's owned by Network Rail and is subject to a series of rather peculiar licences that were originally agreed between the London Brighton & South Coast Railway and the council. Not all of the road is public highway (although some of it is). Much of it is railway land, including where the taxis park. I've seen the original signed version of the agreement, with the various responsibilities spelt out and a nice set of hand-coloured drawings to go with it.

806454_b9204c02.jpg

I think a good part of Brighton station is the same. Heading down Trafalgar Street side, turn left, walking along the side of the station heading north (there are some studios and cycle hire places here) the station is built up high on brick ramparts to the left. Presumably before the station, this was a sharply sloping hillside (of the same gradient as Trafalgar Street).

Jameson

I wrote that :)

I like living here EXCEPT that its so far from Brighton. Signing people like Bridge, Kuszs and the rest doesn't make it any easier either!

I keep mulling over such stuff in my head; I've dreamed of moving to North Yorkshire for years, but having lived through the agony of the the last 20 years, I can't bear the thought of being so far from The Amex!

Life's a series of compromises, I guess? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here