Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's your best memory of the Goldstone?

oh the memoies:glare: some more clouded than others:smokin:

Attachments

• scan0005 (2).jpg
    scan0005 (2).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 157

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
would cause confusion in the early days,also lots of albion in palace scarves palace in brighton favours,tricky times

Yeah, I remember having my Brighton scarf nicked by a Palace fan at one of those Goldstone games in the late 70s...

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Liam Brady coming out to convince the fans sitting in the centre circle (against Notts County, I think) to return to the stands, so that the second half could be played. I was only 10-ish at the time and was utterly transfixed.

Think it was v Lincoln. ( I'm getting older, memory fades)

I was in the middle.

And I'd do it again, although somehow I don't think I'll ever have to.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
Last game of the 1987-88 season against Bristol Rovers to clinch promotion. Apart from the Cup Final, I'd only ever witnessed mid-table and relegation since my first game back in 1980.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Willie Irvine screamer v Villa, 1972
Peter Ward hat-trick (I think) v York City, around 75-76. It was on Match of the Day & I got a right rollicking of my Mum as I ran on the pitch at the end, as was the norm' when cameras were at the Goldstone.
Promotion game v Shef Weds, 77 I think.
2-0 against Blackpool, 78. (Saints & Spurs conspired to cheat us with a draw at the Dell).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Arsenal in the cup in 1987
Bristol Rovers 1988, to win promotion
Dean Wilkins against Ipswich - Barnsley and Middlesbrough were having a mutual love-in at Oakwell until we scored. :lolol:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Another mention for the BHA v Sheff Wed last game of the season 1976/77. Still the greatest football game ive ever been to.

The Liverpool FA cup replay in 1991 (ish) 2-3 aet.

Millwall, playoff semi

Wilkins free kick v Ipswich....and Digweeds penalty save

Not brighton but Peter Wards hatrick for England B in the 6-0 thrashing of Denmark (?)

Oh...and the mighty Hammers winning 2-1 in 1978...Pop Robson getting both our goals (got to get this in as it's the only time we've beaten you at the Goldstone)

Mar 10, 2006
Lots of good memories but the one that really sticks out and I think of often is the Mansfield boycott. That day showed how together we were and boy did those stewards shit themselves as we ran down the east terrace towards them

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Another mention for the BHA v Sheff Wed last game of the season 1976/77. Still the greatest football game ive ever been to.

The Liverpool FA cup replay in 1991 (ish) 2-3 aet.

Millwall, playoff semi

Wilkins free kick v Ipswich....and Digweeds penalty save

Not brighton but Peter Wards hatrick for England B in the 6-0 thrashing of Denmark (?)

Oh...and the mighty Hammers winning 2-1 in 1978...Pop Robson getting both our goals (got to get this in as it's the only time we've beaten you at the Goldstone)

It was 7-0, & Norway mate. John Deehan scored the rest I think.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Willie Irvine screamer v Villa, 1972
Peter Ward hat-trick (I think) v York City, around 75-76. It was on Match of the Day & I got a right rollicking of my Mum as I ran on the pitch at the end, as was the norm' when cameras were at the Goldstone.
Promotion game v Shef Weds, 77 I think.
2-0 against Blackpool, 78. (Saints & Spurs conspired to cheat us with a draw at the Dell).

That Blackpool game was heaving - 33,500 in there. Although the final score was 2-1 it seems, according to these highlights ...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Fred Binney goal poaching, and Bobby Smith nearly breaking the nets.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Any random night game really, they we're always something special at The Goldstone.

Agree totally with this

Also loved big cup games at the Goldstone especially where there was a big away following
The most jam-packed game I went to was the Arsenal game but my favourite would probably be the Liverpool cup replay (it had everything apart from the desired result)

adammicheal

Jan 3, 2006
So many memories many have been mentioned, 2 things spring straight to mind Paul Clarke screamer into the southstand goal i think against orient it was 1 of those shots that if it went in it was quality if it never it went miles over another 1 being 1st game in 1st division against Arsenal I rememeber Alan Sunderland handballing it around the half way line and carrying on as if nothing hads happened when the lino flagged it up (used to stand in the east terrace /chicken run )

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Southend on a Tuesday night in the Zenith Data as to attend that game you got your Arsenal Fa Cup Ticket......I think, if memory serves me right. I just recall such a sense of excitement watching that game, this can only be the reason. The Arsenal game was the biggest attendance I ever witnessed at our great ground.

Other than ALL those mentioned above where I attended, my personal one, the day it all started,

Oct 83 Brighton 7 - 0 Charlton (HT 5-0) Case Hat-trick

I got told off for cheering too much by my friends granddad!

I f***ing loved the Goldstone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here