Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What’s the price of happiness?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I grew up in a mining village in South Yorkshire. My dad worked as skilled labour in the steel industry, my mum did evening work in the local cinema. We had nothing & then Mrs thatcher took that away too. I left school with bare minimum grades. My dad died at 42 due to industrial illness.

I’ve since gained a professional qualification, put myself through university twice, and am going back again in September for 2 years (while working full time).

My boss, a director, is a woman and has a similar story to me. Of our six directors only two are men. Most of my senior management colleagues are women too, and two of them have BAME heritage.

I earn more than £54k. If my PA were to be awarded a salary increase to £54k as part of a social equity project I’d be asking questions.

Be careful when you generalise [emoji52]
Boomer

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't forget most people that earn 54k plus have been privileged and therefore feel entitled.

But it's not.
Age, race, class and sex are all bigger factors than ability and effort.

Absolutely not the case for me, or very many where I work at all, and wasn’t the case in my previous 3 firms (over 35 years).........

....so maybe just resort to cheap insults when you’ve lost the argument [emoji23][emoji23]

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Absolutely not the case for me, or very many where I work at all, and wasn’t the case in my previous 3 firms (over 35 years).........

....so maybe just resort to cheap insults when you’ve lost the argument [emoji23][emoji23]

Yes it was a cheap insult which I apologise for but I don't think I have lost the argument.
Hard work and effort used to get results. If you're over 50 now that's how it used to be. Being white and Male is also an advantage.
I'm pretty bitter because I spent nearly twenty years working for a couple of Baby Boomers. I made their working lives very easy and them financially comfortable. I was working all hours with very little time off. Most of my money paid another Baby boomer my rent. The reason I did it was to better myself. Unfortunately I got screwed over in the end. There were signs that would happen over the years but I couldn't afford to walk away.
Anybody that pays minimum wage to an adult is a parasite in my eyes. People that work full time shouldn't have to worry about making ends meet if they are living a modest life.
I can appreciate how difficult it's going to be for a millennial to get to this level of pay.

I admire the boss paying 54k!

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm pretty bitter because I spent nearly twenty years working for a couple of Baby Boomers. I made their working lives very easy and them financially comfortable. I was working all hours with very little time off. Most of my money paid another Baby boomer my rent. The reason I did it was to better myself. Unfortunately I got screwed over in the end. There were signs that would happen over the years but I couldn't afford to walk away.

We all make choices. You made yours. You need to stop blaming others for the poor choices you made, and for your bitterness. Own it yourself. Look to the future. Don’t let others or your past define you. Writing off your opportunity because you believe you’re already at a disadvantage is lazy.

Was calling me a ‘boomer’ a suggestion that I’m of the baby boomer generation? I’m not. I’m 46 years old.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Don't forget most people that earn 54k plus have been privileged and therefore feel entitled.

Not true.

I’ve worked with a couple of posh people who fitted that description, but countless others who went to rough and tumble state comp’s but worked hard academically and/or in their professional or business, to end up on money greater than the £54k. Never overnight, always after of years of graft and often swotting for exams in their 20’s or later. Fully deserved, it panned out for them in the end.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Yes it was a cheap insult which I apologise for but I don't think I have lost the argument.
Hard work and effort used to get results. If you're over 50 now that's how it used to be. Being white and Male is also an advantage.
Anybody that pays minimum wage to an adult is a parasite in my eyes. People that work full time shouldn't have to worry about making ends meet if they are living a modest life.
I can appreciate how difficult it's going to be for a millennial to get to this level of pay.

Well said.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
We all make choices. You made yours. You need to stop blaming others for the poor choices you made, and for your bitterness. Own it yourself. Look to the future. Don’t let others or your past define you. Writing off your opportunity because you believe you’re already at a disadvantage is lazy.

Was calling me a ‘boomer’ a suggestion that I’m of the baby boomer generation? I’m not. I’m 46 years old.

My choice was to work so many hours to pay the rent that I lost all my friends. I do blame those I worked for because of the false promises. I haven't written off my future but I'm still working every weekend even though it's now for myself. I'm extremely tired of it.
Being woke and writing off your future because you believe you are at a disadvantage is lazy I agree.
However it's far from an equal playing field and luck comes into it.

I don't believe matrial goods bring happiness but I believe I'm as far from happiness as I am £54k.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Fair play

In the corporate world now, being over 50, white and male is often a real disadvantage. Most large firms have targets (can be hard or soft, but they are there) to diversify senior management from board level down. Examples of things I know (because I'm experiencing it) are fairly common :
-all senior management roles MUST have a female on the shortlist for interview
-all interview panels must contain a female
-CVs being redacted by HR to remove anything that gives an indication of gender, race etc before being passed to hiring managers
-functional heads being targeted and challenged on the diversity of their management committees

BTW I'm 50+, white, male and my background is 100% working class (comprehensive education, failed A levels, no uni/degree, parents never had careers but did whatever they could find etc) but many would probably assume I'm 'privileged' because of what I do now. I'm not, I just worked bloody hard for 35 years and, and this is important, got lucky a few times with various moves and career choices. Fate plays a large part IMO. There are loads like me in mine and other similar) firms.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
My choice was to work so many hours to pay the rent that I lost all my friends. I do blame those I worked for because of the false promises. I haven't written off my future but I'm still working every weekend even though it's now for myself. I'm extremely tired of it.
Being woke and writing off your future because you believe you are at a disadvantage is lazy I agree.
However it's far from an equal playing field and luck comes into it.

I don't believe matrial goods bring happiness but I believe I'm as far from happiness as I am £54k.

It sounds like you've been unfortunate with the people you've relied on. It also sounds like it's not too late for you to turn things around. I agree material success does not guarantee happiness, but one should at least be able to access the many benefits of civilisation if they're putting the effort in, which clearly you are.

I'm not ambitious in the slightest. I trained in a vocational profession that doesn't make you rich. My happiness relies on my contribution to the wellbeing of society (and of course Albion winning & Leeds Utd losing). Some people have a desire and the aptitude to lead, and that's why I'm where I am now. The altruistic nature of my profession is still the thing that gives me the most pleasure. My wife & 3 children make sure that whatever financial reward I get is vapourised every month. I'm no richer for all my effort.

My advice would be that if the playing fields are not level, find the right playing feild for you. With regard to luck I'll quote 1985 Snooker World Champion Dennis Taylor, who when asked if luck plays a big part in snooker replied 'It's funny, I find that the more I practice the luckier I get'.

I wish you all the best for the future. Keep on Truckin'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You said you 'wouldn't be happy'
I assume he meant you'd be annoyed, not that your life would suddenly be an unhappy one.

It's not difficult to understand the point he's trying to make. A lot of people are faced with work/life balance decisions. So choose to put more time and effort into work, and they tend to get paid more as a result. This often affects the time and energy they have to put in at home. Others, understandably, value their home life more, and put more energy into that. If two people who have taken opposite roots there are suddenly paid the same amount because of a change in company policy, obviously that's going to cause some issues.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The problems comes when the senior management retire or leave. Who would want to get promotion, with the added workload, responsibility, difficult decisions to make, and so on, when you can get the same pay for much easier work? But if no-one will make the difficult decisions, then no-one gets any money at all.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Reminds of the Biblical parable ... Jesus told of a man hiring day labourers , but at different times of the day:-....

"The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

Matt 20...... NB I don't think money and happiness go together at all

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The problems comes when the senior management retire or leave. Who would want to get promotion, with the added workload, responsibility, difficult decisions to make, and so on, when you can get the same pay for much easier work? But if no-one will make the difficult decisions, then no-one gets any money at all.

With money not being the incentive it might well mean that the person most capable will be ‘promoted’ rather than the “Peter Principle” applying.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
That is a very good point. If I'm in a high pressure job on 54k but I can earn the same sweeping the floor, I could take demotion and be even happier.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here