Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the most you have lost on eBay?

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
I got a friend without an account a pair of concert tickets for just over a hundred quid, and they were declined at the venue

After a bit of a palaver, we/she lost the money

Any other tales of woe?

:rolleyes:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Just sold a game but the buyer said they never recieved it.
eBay froze the money, then eBay ruled in the buyers favour even though I had proof of postage. They never asked me anything , not even to see receipt.
So I've lost the game and the money!
f***ing hate eBay at times!!!

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Bought 2 Dr Who Cyber man talking helmets one Christmas as I thought they would be 'the toy of the season' and inevitably sell out.
Ended up losing £10 on it. That's karma for you.

Mostly though I've done OK.

hopper_182

Sep 25, 2008
I lost £125 on a ticket to Reading festival. Just never turned up, police arrested the guy but didn't convict him because he had no money by then.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
eBay froze the money, then eBay ruled in the buyers favour even though I had proof of postage. They never asked me anything , not even to see receipt.

when they opened the case against you, you should of uploaded a photo of it, as it has a section for it.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

Unfortunately proof of posting is not proof of receipt. Get a claim form from the Post Office for an item lost in transit and claim from Post Office.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I bought a new golf bag and the seller wanted postal orders... needless to say i never got the bag...

I also bought an ipod off someone for my gf for xmas. It was £150. The guy had 100% feeback and looked good. Due to me always being disorganised i hadn't posted the cash (he wanted postal order cheques etc) (this was about 10 years ago) I logged on to email him and say that i will be sending payment and noticed his feedback had dropped to below 20%... and i had lots of email from other people that had purchased off him asking if i got the item... He never sent any items out and luckily due to my disorganisation of not paying on time i got off scott free...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

D

Deleted member 22389

It's sad because you end up losing trust. Happend to me.

When you say Proof of postage, is it one of those shitty proof of postage receipts these Post Offices give you?

Proof of postage does not guarantee delivery. Even recorded does not guarantee delivery either. The only guaranteed delivery is special delivery which costs an arm and a leg.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Just sold an item for £277 and the ebayer has totally refused to pay .. Hate timewasters who abuse the system .. I want to leave bad feedback but i cant

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Quite a few years ago I sent items to Italy and Malaysia, the buyers said they didn't receive the items, so eBay sides with the buyer, and the money was taken from my account, about £40 in total.

This is why now I only send things 'signed for'. Since I started only using signed for services I've had only one instance of a buyer claiming not to have received an item. That was dealt with by Royal Mail who refunded me as they admitted they lost the item (it went missing while being tracked at Heathrow Airport).

The most I lost was about £110 when I sent 3 old football shirts to a buyer in Argentina. Turns out that it is against the law to send 'used' or 'worn' clothing to Argentina, you have to search really hard through international postal regulations to find this out, and you'd never be told it at the post office counter. The package was subsequently destroyed (so I was informed), I remonstrated with Royal Mail who initially refused to refund me, in the end they covered the cost of the postage and a portion of the item value as a gesture of good will. China is the same regarding worn clothing.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.

Yeah, but to be fair you were planning on losing the game anyway.

The whole reason that Special Delivery is expensive is that it comes with insurance up to £ 500, so if the buyer claims the Royal Mail have lost it you can claim from Royal Mail for the money (as long as the claim is made before 80 days from the posting date and you provide the Royal Mail receipt and proof of value of said item - i.e. the e-bay receipt ).

My advice is make sure you only use Special Delivery and if the buyer won't agree to this then simply don't post the item. You have a right of reply to any negative feedback left by the purchaser anyway.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Very early days, posted some stuff to a **** in France who claimed he never received them and then, 3 days after Paypal gave him his money back, he had the balls to sell them using the same account! Lost £125.

Play VERY safe now, everything is sent tracked regardless of the business I might lose because of the additional cost. And I no longer trade with ANYONE in countries I've had problems with (US and Canada in particular seem to like holding stuff at customs for weeks just to p*ss people off!).

LAMBRETTA MAN

Feb 5, 2012

seems to be the norm lately...

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Very early days, posted some stuff to a **** in France who claimed he never received them and then, 3 days after Paypal gave him his money back, he had the balls to sell them using the same account! Lost £125.

Play VERY safe now, everything is sent tracked regardless of the business I might lose because of the additional cost. And I no longer trade with ANYONE in countries I've had problems with (US and Canada in particular seem to like holding stuff at customs for weeks just to p*ss people off!).

f***ing french!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here