Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the going rate

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
At present the 18 year old gets £25 a week however he is starting a part time job shortly so that will be reduced however he had a big bust up with Mum before I got home last night and she has cancelled the direct debit :lolol:

My 13 year old gets nothing at present as he doesn't need any money and manages to make his Birthday and Xmas money last for the year for larger purchases.

Bit of favouritism going on there, the younger one must be well pissed off. Still, £25 to spend in the pub isn't bad going by anyone's standards

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
He should get a job potwashing at around 5 quid an hour, which is what the 15 year old pot wash where I work gets. If he does a couple of shifts a week, he should be earning quite a bit of pocket money.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
surely the answer depends on what they're expected to get with it ...

school dinners?
clothes?
phone credit?

My 13 y.o. gets between £3-£5 a week depending on how helpful he has been (emptying dishwasher, etc), but we top up his phone and his school dinner card, pay for clothes, etc.

Not a great comparison because he hasn't got to the stage yet where it's the costs of 'going out' that are the main thing. Still, you didn't seem to be getting much information ...

Good point about phones we also pay for them so £50 for the 18 year old and £20 for the 23 year old every month

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bit of favouritism going on there, the younger one must be well pissed off. Still, £25 to spend in the pub isn't bad going by anyone's standards

Not really the issue with the ledest is most of his mates get £30 EMA money a week.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Tell him to get a paper round.A friend of mine earns £41 weekly doing mornings.
As a guide, my stepson gets between £10 - £ 20 weekly but that covers mobile credit,lunches,expensive teenage girlfriend etc

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I used to gamble my weekly dinner money in tutor group at school. Any winnings I made sure most of it went towards football at the weekend. Everything was so cheap back then - admission and train fares.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I only got allowance from about age 10-12 stopped then when I was able to earn my own. only a fiver a week

Pretty similar, I was cleaning cars and doing gardening from about the age of 12, then got a paper round when I was a bit older...my parents were pretty skint and couldn't afford to give us much in the way of pocket-money...at least this tought me that if you want something you have to earn it, never to expect something for nothing, reckon that was a lesson that stood me in good stead for adult life.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Giving pocket money to a 18 year old, tell him to get a job.

Not easy at present although finally he will start a part time one shortly at the COOP

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I was only 15 eight years ago, and I got about £3-4 a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here