Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the going rate

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
For pocket money for a 15 year old these days.
My grandson is always claiming he never has as much money to spend as all his mates and I just wondered what do people give their kids these days.
My daughter really struggles just to keep the home going so giving large sums of money to her kids is out of the question. I try to help and give him £10 a week and of course his season ticket, so is he really that badly off from other 15 year olds?
I would really like to know.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
£10 a week? on top of whatever his Mum manages to give him.

I guess it depends what he is expected to buy with it... phone credit, clothes, train/bus, cinema etc... but it seems pretty generous to me.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hes laughing at you behind your back Grandad.

Either that or he hangs around with very rich kids !

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
For pocket money for a 15 year old these days.
My grandson is always claiming he never has as much money to spend as all his mates and I just wondered what do people give their kids these days.
My daughter really struggles just to keep the home going so giving large sums of money to her kids is out of the question. I try to help and give him £10 a week and of course his season ticket, so is he really that badly off from other 15 year olds?
I would really like to know.

I got £10 when i was 15, plus my season ticket, and i'd say he's probably on a par with all his mates. That said, I had a paper round, and was refereeing at £15, he's old enough to work if he wants the money.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Didn't have much money when I was that age, maybe 3 quid a week or something and had to do chores for that, having said that teenagers didn't need much money back then. No mobiles etc. Got a weekend job when I was sixteen so after that had my own money. Better that he doesn't get much now as it will give him the hunger for earning his own money and appreciate it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He can earn £20 a week doing a paper round or more

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I got f*** all at 15, I think any pocket money stopped at 13. I did a paper round and some cash in hand saturday work. That was 13 years ago, kids these days don't even know they're born.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Thanks for all the replies, but I would be interested to hear from any parents on what they are currently giving, if there are some on here with 15 year olds.
I mean, I got a shilling a week from my parents but that was a good few years ago.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Thanks for all the replies, but I would be interested to hear from any parents on what they are currently giving, if there are some on here with 15 year olds.
I mean, I got a shilling a week from my parents but that was a good few years ago.

My 16 year old daughter has had a part time job since she was just 15 and so her pocket money is what she earns.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
My mate's 14 year old earns 15 a week doing paper round and they give him 50p for every pound he earns , not bad for a 14 year old I think but encourages him to work also.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
My mate's 14 year old earns 15 a week doing paper round and they give him 50p for every pound he earns , not bad for a 14 year old I think but encourages him to work also.

That is a very good idea. the more he works the more he gets. Good thinking on the part of the parents.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
£10 a week plus season ticket, blimey tell him to get a weekend job there are some around if he looks hard enough.

am 57 and to be honest i would work a day online for you for that

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Give them a quid a day and then get them to go and put it in the "special savings box" in the basement with the numbers on the front.

auschr

Apr 19, 2009
USA
I only got allowance from about age 10-12 stopped then when I was able to earn my own. only a fiver a week

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
At present the 18 year old gets £25 a week however he is starting a part time job shortly so that will be reduced however he had a big bust up with Mum before I got home last night and she has cancelled the direct debit :lolol:

My 13 year old gets nothing at present as he doesn't need any money and manages to make his Birthday and Xmas money last for the year for larger purchases.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
surely the answer depends on what they're expected to get with it ...

school dinners?
clothes?
phone credit?

My 13 y.o. gets between £3-£5 a week depending on how helpful he has been (emptying dishwasher, etc), but we top up his phone and his school dinner card, pay for clothes, etc.

Not a great comparison because he hasn't got to the stage yet where it's the costs of 'going out' that are the main thing. Still, you didn't seem to be getting much information ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here