Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the difference between an iPod and a Audio Jukebox?

jmc

Jul 11, 2003
Portslade
£170 for an 4gb Ipod... go for it - though I would recommend an Iriver - 40GB at £230, think it was from MX2...

Horses for courses really, as your gonna stick it in your pocket anyway...unless your a posing twat....

enjoy whatever you choose!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm happy with my mini-disc still, meets all my needs :clap2: :clap2:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Superphil said:
Well I like my overpriced (£250 or so?), I don't find it underpowered, I'm not, oh wait, let me have a look, nope, not a woman.

If you want to listen to music on the go at the best quality other than using a portable CD player, then buy an ipod, she'll love it!

Its kinda hard to have an underpowered MP3 player - but remember Apple are a COMPUTER maker first and foremost.

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Yes, and iPod is essentially a hard drive with an MP3 player installed on it.

And considering Apple Mac's are in use pretty much universally in the music industry I'd say they were pretty well qualified to design and build what is currently the world's most popular personal stereo

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Well, generally the machines made by Apple that audio technicians I know use aren't Macs at all. They're XServes.

These days its far cheaper to use a 600 quid Dell laptop as your frontend and just use a beast of a PPC machine for the audio rendering backend (if its electronic music). However, the college here uses an IBM pSeries as the audio rendering beast, and Windows machines as the frontends.

Apple do not own music anymore, the same as they do not own publishing or graphic design. Or education. They're losing markets everywhere.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Also, any monkey can make a HDD MP3 player - its a hard disk, and either a few ASICs - sound, MPEG decoding, IDE transfer; or a basic controller host, which is what the iPod uses.

All the 'innovation' in the iPod is the marketing campaign. The technology was all developed by others, the first to market with a HDD MP3 player was SonicBlue, and others were there before Apple too.

Marketing does not a good product make.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
MYOB said:
Also, any monkey can make a HDD MP3 player - its a hard disk, and either a few ASICs - sound, MPEG decoding, IDE transfer; or a basic controller host, which is what the iPod uses.

All the 'innovation' in the iPod is the marketing campaign. The technology was all developed by others, the first to market with a HDD MP3 player was SonicBlue, and others were there before Apple too.

Marketing does not a good product make.

Who cares? I have an iPod and I love it. I have never once considered whether they made the technology first. I don't see why it's of interest.

Do you work in I.T. MYOB? Because I think you're lost in it.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Yes, I work in IT

I will never trust Apple on their hardware quality - this is the company that shipped SIX MILLION machines with buggy motherboards - the first 6,000,000 PPC601/603/604/750 machines - all their post 1993, pre-iMac computers.

There could be a serious flaw in every iPod sold - this in an untrustworthy company we're dealing with here - so don't go crying if all the iPods fail at one time sometime soon...

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
MYOB said:
Yes, I work in IT

I will never trust Apple on their hardware quality - this is the company that shipped SIX MILLION machines with buggy motherboards - the first 6,000,000 PPC601/603/604/750 machines - all their post 1993, pre-iMac computers.

There could be a serious flaw in every iPod sold - this in an untrustworthy company we're dealing with here - so don't go crying if all the iPods fail at one time sometime soon...

OK - I won't.

So I presume that everything is GOOD in the world of PCs and Microsoft. No problmes or issues there?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Microsoft=evil

Other than that, all's fine. Unlike the Mac, you're not locked into using one OS on your PC. My laptop has never had Windows on it. Not even when sold to me.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You're only saying that because you have one and can't admit its failings.

As the owner of more Macintoshes currently than most of the Macheads here have ever individually had, my bias is based on fact, not denial

The iPod is a wankers toy. Its crap at what it does and exists solely to boost the owners ego.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
The ipod is a fantastic piece of equipment. Maybe MYOB is upset because he cannot afford one. All large bluechip companies could be accused of being wan*ers at some point in there history.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nurse, MYOB is in need of his medication.

seriously, how can anyone be so bothered as to hate a computer company and all its products? i think its worse than the fanboys who cant any fault with their favoured bit of kit. The market has chosen iPods over SonicBlue/Creative jobby, and many other OS's over BeOS. get over it.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
You have still failed to give one convincing reason why the iPod is "crap at what it does" MYOB.

Whatever your beef with Apple there is no way I can see iPod accepting blame, particularly when it is such a lovely feat of engineering.

Do you have an iPod?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
MikeySmall said:
The ipod is a fantastic piece of equipment. Maybe MYOB is upset because he cannot afford one. All large bluechip companies could be accused of being wan*ers at some point in there history.

I'm currently using a E3,300 (Sony) laptop. I can well afford an iPod if I want one.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Ok I have an ipod mini. Because it looks good, sounds good and does absolutely everythign I want from an mp3 player. And compared with others I looked at it sounded as good if not better even with the shitty earphones supplied with the unit.

I can conclude one thing, MYOB just dislikes anything with the apple logo on it and will try and justify why. Who cares who did it first, Apple does it now very well and have something like a 40% market share when it comes to hard drive mp3 players and I can't see it decreasing any time soon so they must be doing something right.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
jmc said:
but what about the shitty battery life?

- reason why I bought an Iriver.

I've had my 2nd gen iPod for about 18 months now, and have never had any problems with the battery. Or anything else to do with it in fact.

MYOB said:
this is the company that shipped SIX MILLION machines with buggy motherboards - the first 6,000,000 PPC601/603/604/750 machines - all their post 1993, pre-iMac computers.

Pretty much everything the Albion did in the post 1993, pre-Withdean period was crap.

But that doesn't mean we should support Leyton Orient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here