Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the difference between an iPod and a Audio Jukebox?

Jameson

I'm thinking of getting one as a present for someone - so what's the difference? I assume they are both MP3 players - just brand names?

I'm torn between the Apple 4GB mini iPod @ £174 (cheapest I could find) and the Phillips 2GB juke box @ £127.

Any thoughts or alternative suggestions?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
iPod makes you look like a wanker, and has serious hardware reliability issues.

It does play AAC files however, which other kit can't

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
All the competitors are good, particularly the Archos, iRiver and Creative ones.

People act as if Apple invented HDD based MP3 players - they just popularised them. SonicBlue did it first, by TWO YEARS.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
iPod does not make you look like a wanker.

If it as a gift the iPod will make a far better present as quite simply it looks the best and earns you the most kudos.

I would definitely go with the iPod mini, it's a lovely bit of kit and you cannot fail to be impressed by them (unless you are MYOB)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Anybody with their dumb little scrolly wheely ipod wirth the white headphones LOOKS LIKE A TOSSER

Its a girls piece of hardware, its atrocious hardware-wise and you LOOK LIKE A GIT

Second line of my sig applies to the iPod also.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
You sir are but a fool.

Nobody keeps the white headphones for the simple reason that it shows potential muggers you have valuable hardware in your pocket. Anyone with half a brain sticks a discreet pair of black headphones in there, which, I might add, are likely to be of a better quality than the standard iPod ones which aren't great audio wise.

How is it atrocious hardware wise? For ease of use and functionality I can't fault my iPod. And I have to disagree that it looks bad, in fact, you are the only person I have ever ever ever heard have a bad word to say unto the 21st century's greatest invention.

I sense some bitterness here for some reason. Are you anti-Apple in some way??

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I agree, my ipod is just about 2 years old (first of the 2nd gen) I've had no problems at all, it sounds great, is a class bit of design, but ultimatly it is the sonic ability that convinced me. The Creative and Rio products simply didn't play a good enough sound. Having said that I don't know if any of the new ones are better sounding but I'm still delighted with my ipod so I'll keep it till it dies, then I'll go out and try all the options, and buy the best sounding one again. By all the reports/reviews you can read, that'll be another ipod then.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Firstly, Apple DID NOT INVENT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE iPOD. NONE of it.

Secondly, yes, I have anti-Apple sentiment. They make overpriced, underpowered crap aimed at women. They dump their even slightly aged technology like it was starting to rot or something - no support for hardware thats deemed 'too old' even when its powerful enough, no support for even 10 month old OS releases, etc. Their CEO is a git, they have some of the worlds best engineers who the totally misuse....

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Apple are a corporation just like any other.

You can't tell me however, that you'd rather see money going into Bill Gates's bottomless pockets, surely?

I fail to see how Apple is aimed at women also. Are you saying that the publishing industry is entirely female??

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Jameson. Get it get it get it.

I guarantee she'll have sex with you after she's unwrapped it

Jameson

Bluejuice said:

Nobody keeps the white headphones for the simple reason that it shows potential muggers you have valuable hardware in your pocket. Anyone with half a brain sticks a discreet pair of black headphones in there, which, I might add, are likely to be of a better quality than the standard iPod ones which aren't great audio wise.

Thanks - I will pass this on. I hadn't thought of that.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Publishing, design, etc aren't all female. The kind of person who buys a Mac for home use usually is

Apple were different once - their machines and their OS had a soul. Now it doesn't. Neither does Windows, but I don't use Windows

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
MYOB said:
Firstly, Apple DID NOT INVENT ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE iPOD. NONE of it.

Secondly, yes, I have anti-Apple sentiment. They make overpriced, underpowered crap aimed at women.

Well I like my overpriced (£250 or so?), I don't find it underpowered, I'm not, oh wait, let me have a look, nope, not a woman.

If you want to listen to music on the go at the best quality other than using a portable CD player, then buy an ipod, she'll love it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here