Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the difference between a BA and a BSc?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
so why would there be a BA (Hons) in Leadership and Management when it's nothing to do with the arts?

Not sure, but generally speaking BSc courses are more scientific and maths based, as mentioned before.

Taken from a source - "The BS degree is meant to provide a broader education in the sciences, to better qualify a person for the workplace. Today, a person with a BS degree has much greater chance to secure a position of status and financial benefits than one with a BA or BA (Hons) degree."

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
Not sure, but generally speaking BSc courses are more scientific and maths based, as mentioned before.

Taken from a source - "The BS degree is meant to provide a broader education in the sciences, to better qualify a person for the workplace. Today, a person with a BS degree has much greater chance to secure a position of status and financial benefits than one with a BA or BA (Hons) degree."

I've got a MEng, where's that stand on the hierarchy?

Also, does anyone have any idea what difference '(Hons)' makes to a degree?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
to buck the trend a little, I got a BSC in politics and History. Involved as much as 8 hours of lectures a week. And involved no maths whatsoever.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
The other thing is, whenever i've worked with anyone that's just finished a degree of some kind they have always been useless and shit! Does taking a BA/BSc drain you of your common sense?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
The other thing is, whenever i've worked with anyone that's just finished a degree of some kind they have always been useless and shit! Does taking a BA/BSc drain you of your common sense?

In my case it was all linked to the drugs

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
so why would there be a BA (Hons) in Leadership and Management when it's nothing to do with the arts?

Just read your own question again, the fact that you can get a degree in Leadership and Management? ? ? It can only be a Wishy Washy, Lardy Dah, Arty Farty degree, so has to be a BA. Next they'll be doing a degree in photocopying, parking and using a powerpoint presentation :dunce:

BTW I have a 90 Degree

039260313.jpg

As is becoming quite clear from the way this discussion is going, there is a huge amount of ignorance about what a degree actually means.

In the real world of employment, it may well be the case that a "degree" will be a minimum requirement for entry to some jobs. Once you've got one, though, it is ability to do the job that counts.

And it's often necessary to get further qualifications, once you get into the world of employment.

Engineers make progress if they achieve Chartered membership of one of the Engineering Institutions. A first degree in engineering, eg BSc or BEng, is only a start.

And it's not the ONLY way to start. I've known people with a BA in geography progress through to Chartered status in the Institution of Civil Engineers - but all of the hard work came once they'd got their first foot in the door of an employer who encouraged junior staff to sudy for the Civil Engineering qualification.

On the other hand ... I spent most of my career in an organisation that was stuffed full of Chartered Civil Engineers. At one stage, I even got promoted into a position where the standard job title at that level was "Principal Engineer". It didn't bother anyone that my degrees (BA and MA) were in social anthropology. I got the promotion because I could do the job. I did, however, REFUSE to use the job title of Principal Engineer, even though it might have impressed some people.

I was always mindful of the famous entry in Yellow Pages:-

CIVIL ENGINEERS - see Boring

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Surely the purpose of University is to ensure I don't have to sign on for three years.

Surely the purpose of University is to ensure I don't have to sign on for three years.
Signing on isn't what it used to be.

When I ran out of money at the end of my time at university, there was a wonderful thing down the Dole Office called the "Professional and Executive Register".

I signed on to the PER, telling them I was looking for a job as a social anthropologist in Brighton. They were perfectly happy to send me a giro every fortnight until such a vacancy cropped up.

I guess it was my generation that was responsible for getting students their reputation as Tax Dodgers. Sadly, for young people today, the opportunities that we had to play the system properly seem have dried up completely.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
:lolol:

I was in a house with 5 lads at Uni in my second year. The one engineer (BSc) did more hours every week than the rest of us put together (Law & bus studies degrees). :bigwave:

Indeed. My 10 hours lectures/seminars allowed me to occasionally turn out for the Thursday Easyriders XI at uni and some glamour treips to Yarmouth and Norwich Prison (a). Not many undergraduate scientists in that team - although the same couldn't be said for the postgrads. No wonder it took them four years to do a doctorate, always in the bar...

Arts rock.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
The difference between a Sociology BSc and BA in southampton uni is that you have to do a statistics module and have to report on quantitative figures in your dissertation

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I've got a MEng, where's that stand on the hierarchy?

Also, does anyone have any idea what difference '(Hons)' makes to a degree?

Not sure to be honest!

The Hons bit indicates you've done 360 credits in your 3 years, or that you've done a dissertation I believe. I did 360 credits and a dissertation so not sure how it works.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
One's an airline and the other is shorthand for biscuit.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
About £10K a year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here