Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What's the deal with 3d number plates?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As of September 2021, a new standard of number plates will be introduced, replacing BS145d that is currently in circulation.

This is a sturdier, more resilient material able to handle more damage, more bending, abrasion, impact, and thermal change, and will also show up clearer on ANPR cameras on UK roads.

This also means that the digits will change, and as a result, two tone number plates will not allowed when the new standard are introduced. Instead, solid black digits will be the only acceptable digits on physical number plates, again, to make it easier for ANPR cameras to pick them up and identify vehicles. 4D is fine, but again, they need to be comprised of solid black digits.

All plates will also have to show the suppliers business name and postcode in the bottom centre of the car registration plate, and the number plate manufacturer with BS145e in the bottom right corner.

So just a money making scheme

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
View attachment 141191

I can’t say I’ve noticed any yet but I’m guessing it’s the car owners with personal plates that buy them, usually have a plate that sort of spells their name, then a space followed by an X….odd :facepalm:

Seems that having a backfiring exhaust is also a novelty these days ???

4D number plates? That means space and time. Do they take the car back to the future, then? :drool::drool::drool:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
my cars nearly 60 years old and has '3D' number plates. Number plate fashion has its moments, remember those awful black silver perspex/foil ones in the 80's?

Back in the late 70s i had an amber gold mk2 cortina with black and gold perspex plates , i thought it looked fantastic ! :D

They were rocket science at the time ;-) my last 1600E had its original pressed yellow/white ones which I nearly changed for B&W, but restied, they must have been cool as in 1969! it all goes round in circles.

proper raised letter polished aluminium letters were posh in the 50's/early 60's.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
They were rocket science at the time ;-) my last 1600E had its original pressed yellow/white ones which I nearly changed for B&W, but restied, they must have been cool as in 1969! it all goes round in circles.

proper raised letter polished aluminium letters were posh in the 50's/early 60's.

I remember those ! Some still on the road later , i suppose if you are the really pedantic type you would insist on the plates on your classic being totally period ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I remember those ! Some still on the road later , i suppose if you are the really pedantic type you would insist on the plates on your classic being totally period ?

It makes a hell of a difference to a car . . . like wheels can make or break virtually anything.

lots of classics have pressed black/silver ally. they were cheapest in period and are now.

hand painted for bikes is best IMO.

when I first built the Cortina I took the number plate to bits and repainted all the letters and back plate B&W from yellow, as the correct type werent available, then more recently bought a new one in period spec.

he'res a good and bad example . . . . . wheels are all wrong on the Crapi as well. gothichp.jpg

crapi.jpg

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's the deal with 3d number plates? Surely the question should be, what's the point?

Every car I've ever owned has come (and departed) with number plates attached. I've never even thought about changing them - they weren't broken, so there was no point in spending money to change them.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I just don't care on this one. They can have 3D or 4D or flat or shiny or dull or personal or non personal.. It aint gonna keep me up at night one way or another

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yep now we've taken back control of our number plates means us Brits can have these plates. Seen loads of them around Hove, not just personal plates by any stretch of the imagination.

Ooooh a major Brexit gain.

I must go out and get one…… or even two!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
The 3d/4d ones look shit.

The historic black/white hand painted ones are cool. I think I can legally run them on my 1970 car. That currently has pressed black/silver aluminium ones.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
You’re totally right of course, but that being said, I LOVE personalised plates. I’m like some sort of train spotter - but with plates. Some really good ones out there!

Far too many shite personalised plates around these days, not a fan of plates that try to spell a name by using numbers as letters, most are illegal anyway.
I did laugh at a Porche I saw about 20 years ago near Heathfield with the plate Bollox :D

I don’t mind BHA plates though

ABF31007-A155-413D-B3E6-8E086CE61CD5.jpeg
This sort of thing doesn’t impress me, nice car ruined by a shite plate.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
You’re totally right of course, but that being said, I LOVE personalised plates. I’m like some sort of train spotter - but with plates. Some really good ones out there!

I have a mental picture of you with a little notebook, licking the end of a stubby pencil before carefully adding another BHA number plate on the correct page. Maybe sorted in columns for easy reference.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I have a mental picture of you with a little notebook, licking the end of a stubby pencil before carefully adding another BHA number plate on the correct page. Maybe sorted in columns for easy reference.

Sadly not! I just keep an eye out on my drive home, ready to tell the wife my exciting finds when I get home. BHA ones are a dime a dozen so they’re no good to me.

Saw a purple Scirocco the other day with a Muse sticker in the back window- looked down and the number plate was MU53 FAN. Come on, gotta admit that’s good

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Sadly not! I just keep an eye out on my drive home, ready to tell the wife my exciting finds when I get home. BHA ones are a dime a dozen so they’re no good to me.

Saw a purple Scirocco the other day with a Muse sticker in the back window- looked down and the number plate was MU53 FAN. Come on, gotta admit that’s good

Very nice. Mrs Earle has a blue car with a BHA number plate, her initial and the last three numbers of her phone, coincidentally the number of the beast! Not sure what that all signifies...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here