Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the biggest tourist rip-off you know?

johnjim

Sep 2, 2008
bexhill
Pont du Gard, parking is free if you go up the little road and park on other side of river. Found this out by chance, when taking wrong turn going to the place. It's where locals park when they go there for a paddle.
Rip offs.... try parking in Brighton. or for 100 euros in Hamberg.......

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
In a bar in Stockholm airport last week.

Pint of Carlsberg - 65 SEK (about £6.50),
Half of Carlsberg - 59 SEK (£5.90)

Erm....?

Oh dear I'm off to Sweden next week working so I recon a trip to duty free to get some alcohol supplies to drink in Hotel room we did hear around £9 a pint up where we are working.

My biggest gripe is we visited Scarborough last year and stayed in a hotel in the North bay, first night around 6pm we decided to get the sea front bus to South Bay when we got on the bus we got a ticket to return from a very east European sounding driver, when we got to South Bay we asked what time is last bus back, this is the last bus he said and would not refund the return ticket.
Bar steward.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Pont du Gard, parking is free if you go up the little road and park on other side of river. Found this out by chance, when taking wrong turn going to the place. It's where locals park when they go there for a paddle.

:ffsparr:

Will have to try a different approach next year - thanks for the tip!

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Venice is an amazing place to visit but, as noted, pricey. Usual tourist hint is to eat away from the main areas and the food will be as good and cheaper. With regard to St Mark's Square the advice to us was to go up the tower at the Church on the opposite bank of the Canal - San Giorgio Maggiore - and you get an excellent view of St Mark's - it even has a lift to the top of the tower to save the effort of all those steps. All day vaporetto pass lets you go to the islands which are lovely.

I took mrs d to venice in 2006 and didn't think it was that pricey. We got the all day vaporetto passes (went to the island which are indeed lovely), walked around a lot, and ate away from the tourist traps. We found a small canteen bythe grand canal that seemed to be used mostly by the locals. It had all the italian staple dishes (spaghetti, lasagne, pizza etc) but they all tasted the way these dishes taste only in italy and it was all great food.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
Exactly, so as a result you don't get any baseball caps, hoop earrings, fat exhaust pipes on 20 year old corsas, bingo, matalan trackies, crocks, sun newspaper readers or screaming kids under no parental control........ long may it be expensive.

This

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Exactly, so as a result you don't get any baseball caps, hoop earrings, fat exhaust pipes on 20 year old corsas, bingo, matalan trackies, crocks, sun newspaper readers or screaming kids under no parental control........ long may it be expensive.

The high pricing and barbed wire keeps the chavs and football tops out. Makes it a little haven.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Today I heard a tourist getting charged 590kc in the old town square for two slices of Prague ham, and two slices of Bread.
590.00 CZK = 20.2003 GBP

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here