Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] What's The Best Sandwich For A Cricket Tea ?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
For me, I can accept a lower range of sandwiches on offer, as long as they are well filled...always disappointing to see a low filling/bread ratio.

Also, not strictly Cricket but I played a bowls match at West Dean years back...possibly the greatest Tea spread i've seen. Truly wonderful.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
In the mid 80’s I was lucky enough to be picked for the SJCF tour of the West Country and we played 11am start games which of course had the added extra of Lunch! We played Berkshire and they laid on Sausage & Mash which with the amount we all consumed before heading out to field in what was 80f heat wiped us all out, longest day in the field ever, iirc we took just two wickets in the afternoon! One of the lads puked up [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Played for DPB/ The Boards in Eastbourne for 25 years. For the most part we normally found a wife or girlfriend who was willing to make the teas. With regard to sandwiches it was usually choice of two fillings with the usual stuff like cheese or ham. The clue as to when one of the players had to take a turn was when their was only one choice and sometimes with a dubious filling. One of our best batsman only ever used to make really pungent egg sandwiches that stunk out the pavilion as such that both doors had to be open all day.

To be honest one aspect of looking at the seasons fixture list was noting the away games and the varying quality of the fare on offer. I seem to recall that Buxted and Barcombe were always good.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
From memory (Polegate vs. Sussex 1958, when I got a free tea for working the scoreboard) the choice was cucumber or meat paste.

If there was ever a classic cricket sandwhich, surely it's a combination of these. Although perhaps fish paste rather than meat paste. My vote is definitely for paste and cucumber, whatever. On cheap white bread cut into triangles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here