Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

whats the best atmosphere you have witnessed at the withdean ...

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Beating Derby with a late Kerry Mayo goal whilst the White Feather looked around Withdean in stunned disbelief that this was a Championship football ground, was a pretty good atmosphere.

Bizarrely a 4-3 (I think) defeat to Rochdale (again I think!!) in the absolute pissing rain in a midweek night game had a fabulous atmosphere too.

I remember the Rochdale game, if was a friday night and pissed down, we went 3-0 dwon after about 20 mins and about 80% of the ground emptied, only for us to almost to a great comeback......bloody soaked that night...

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Another vote for Chesterfield, sizzling atmosphere, there had been quite a bit of trouble at their place and i think the tension between fans and teams was there for all to feel, we absolutely battered them that night shame it was only 1-0 and their attempts on goal amounted to a great big ZERO, ZILCH, NONE :ascarf:

On a nicer note, the first game at Withdean, a friendly v Nottm Forest when we were all wandering around in shorts tee-shirts and sunglasses, happy to be back in Brighton and thinking this might not be so bad, oops :nono:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Cardiff City 1-0 victory 2001/02 season. Zamora burst through the Cardiff defence to calmly slot beneath the keeper. A big result against fellow promotion/title challengers.

I thought that was the game where we scored an early penalty? I remember they then battered us for 90 minutes, with some of the most ridiculous goal mouth scrambles I have ever seen!

Best atmosphere for me was definetelythe Swindon play of match. Standing up the whole game (and I'm only in G block!) definetely helped!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember the Rochdale game, if was a friday night and pissed down, we went 3-0 dwon after about 20 mins and about 80% of the ground emptied, only for us to almost to a great comeback......bloody soaked that night...

The only game I can remember us going 3 down in 20 mins was against Wigan. I think we pulled it back to 3-2 and I'm not sure it was raining either.

The Rochdale game I'm thinking of was a Tuesday evening, I think in Adams era 1st time around. I think we were always chasing the game but never 3 down. The rain was the heaviest I've experienced at Withdean.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Thought last night was pretty special. Loved the polite rounds of applause for some of our passing play and when the Plymouth fans sang 'Bottom of the league, and having a laugh'.

Bit annoyed about the bloke with the hacking cough over at the back of J Block though. It was quite annoying over in the Family Stand to have THAT noise interrupting things all the time. Tut!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The final home game of the season, with Coppell in charge, against Watford was buzzing. We absolutely destroyed the Hornets. News then filtered through that Crystal Palace had scored a late goal against Stoke to give us a chance of avoiding the drop in the last game. The South Stand erupted.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I thought that was the game where we scored an early penalty? I remember they then battered us for 90 minutes, with some of the most ridiculous goal mouth scrambles I have ever seen!

Best atmosphere for me was definetelythe Swindon play of match. Standing up the whole game (and I'm only in G block!) definetely helped!

No must be another game your thinking of. Zamora strode through a static Cardiff defense, I think Oatway played a through pass and Zamora stripped their center half for pace before serenly slotting it past the advancing keeper.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The only game I can remember us going 3 down in 20 mins was against Wigan. I think we pulled it back to 3-2 and I'm not sure it was raining either.

The Rochdale game I'm thinking of was a Tuesday evening, I think in Adams era 1st time around. I think we were always chasing the game but never 3 down. The rain was the heaviest I've experienced at Withdean.
The Wigan game finished 2-4, we were 1-4 down at half-time.
The Rochdale game was on a Friday night, we were 2 down early on but fought back to lead 3-2 before conceding 2 late goals. It absolutely pissed down for the whole game.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I'll give a nod towards the 2-1 win over Sunderland in 04/05. Very, very tense last 15 minutes as Sunderland threw everything towards the 10 men after they got 1 back in the 2nd half. I think that was the last defeat Sunderland had that season as they won they League. I recall people whistling for full time at around the 80th minute mark.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think the Man City game was the loudest I've heard it, especially during the shoot out. The 1-0 against Leeds was memorable though.

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
Chesterfield - viewed from the trees behind the hammer net end. Buggered me eyes up for a week but just about saw Danny rise up and head home :banana:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The bizarre game that was Brighton 1 - Stoke 5. There was comedy, tragedy and a great atmosphere. Especially when Stoke started "You're gonna win 6-5". Rooney playing with one boot. It was one of those memorable games for all the right reasons, except the result.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I thought that was the game where we scored an early penalty? I remember they then battered us for 90 minutes, with some of the most ridiculous goal mouth scrambles I have ever seen! (and I'm only in G block!) definetely helped!

Your thinking of when Cartwright was knocked out. That was the season before

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
The Wigan game finished 2-4, we were 1-4 down at half-time.
The Rochdale game was on a Friday night, we were 2 down early on but fought back to lead 3-2 before conceding 2 late goals. It absolutely pissed down for the whole game.
That's right, definitely a Friday. I'll take your word for it on how the game went but it deffo ended 4-3 and we were ABSOLUTELY soaked - don't think it's been wetter than that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Chesterfield, Swindon, Sunderland all good shouts.

Portsmouth this year was quality - when the ref showed three yellows in about 30 seconds, it was brilliant. Never LAUGHED so much at a game.

Oh, and Leeds, when Andy D'Urso whipped the ground into a FRENZY with his award of a nonsense penalty, but we came back to win 2-1. Hart got the winner, so it was obviously a few years ago...

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Another different one. Bradford, when we won 3-2 and won for the first time in 13 games.

Yup, remember that VERY well – another night when it tipped down was the 4-1 (I think) win over Millwall where Bradley Johnson and Coxy were among the scorers.
Man City was special, particularly as they'd only recently become the richest club in the world – and I particularly enjoyed the novelty of the West Stand experience for our stroll past Pompey in the Cup this season :banana:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Yup, remember that VERY well – another night when it tipped down was the 4-1 (I think) win over Millwall where Bradley Johnson and Coxy were among the scorers.
Man City was special, particularly as they'd only recently become the richest club in the world – and I particularly enjoyed the novelty of the West Stand experience for our stroll past Pompey in the Cup this season :banana:

That Millwall game was the wettest ever ( on a par with Rochdale) yes it was 4-1 Murray missed a penalty, and put away the re-bound.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here