Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] What's good to watch on BBC iPlayer ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought this was excellent and a fantastic way of honouring/keeping alive the voices and memories of some of those that lived through the horrors.
Yeah, saw this last night and it was utterly compelling. I liked the way they used modern actors lip-syncing the words. I don't know what most of the soldiers looked like but the actor they got playing John Howard was an incredible likeness -it made it seem even more real

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Am halfway through this, rather good imho.

The Beeb has announced it has acquired High Country, a new eight-part series.

The story revolves around detective Andrea (Andie) Whitford, who is transferred to the Victorian High Country and thrust into a baffling mystery of five missing persons who have vanished into the wilderness. Through an edge-of-the-seat, high-stakes investigation, Andie uncovers a complex web involving murder, deceit and revenge.

The series stars Leah Purcell, Ian McElhinney, Sara Wiseman and Aaron Pedersen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Found On Thin Ice: Putin v Greenpeace to be a thoroughly engrossing six-parter. Greenpeace embark on an expedition to mount a protest on board Putin's flagship oil platform in the Arctic Sea...

Jul 20, 2003
'Licorice Pizza' is on there at the moment.

Paul Thomas Anderson film.

I didn't get to see it at the cinema... I wish I had.

excellent film

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
15th July, The Jetty.

When a fire tears through a property in a scenic Lancashire lake town, Detective Ember Manning (Coleman) must work out how it connects to a podcast journalist investigating a missing persons cold case and an illicit relationship between a man in his twenties and two underage girls. But as Ember gets close to the truth, it threatens to destroy her life – forcing her to re-evaluate everything she thought she knew about her past, present and the town she’s always called home. As much a coming-of-age story as a detective thriller, The Jetty asks big questions about sexual morality, identity and memory, in the places that Me Too has left behind.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I can highly recommend "Traitors to Hitler" to anyone who has an interest in anything WW2. It's a documentary first shown in 1979, and shows extended footage from Freislers kangaroo court sessions following on from the von Stauffenburg bomb plot.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I can highly recommend "Traitors to Hitler" to anyone who has an interest in anything WW2. It's a documentary first shown in 1979, and shows extended footage from Freislers kangaroo court sessions following on from the von Stauffenburg bomb plot.
Thanks, just watched it. What a nasty piece of work the judge Freisler was, good to know that he was killed when the court was bombed a few months later. The executions were filmed for Hitler to view later but he didn't watch the film, according to Speer, who also didn't watch it.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Colin From Accounts.

Well written comedy/drama about two rather likeable people whose life collides and intertwines after the flashing of a tit and the running over of a dog.
I enjoyed it.
I've only just discovered this, it's really good, isn't it? Watching it solo and sniggering aloud is a good sign!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
15th July, The Jetty.

When a fire tears through a property in a scenic Lancashire lake town, Detective Ember Manning (Coleman) must work out how it connects to a podcast journalist investigating a missing persons cold case and an illicit relationship between a man in his twenties and two underage girls. But as Ember gets close to the truth, it threatens to destroy her life – forcing her to re-evaluate everything she thought she knew about her past, present and the town she’s always called home. As much a coming-of-age story as a detective thriller, The Jetty asks big questions about sexual morality, identity and memory, in the places that Me Too has left behind.

Just about to start this on my daughters rec

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Upcoming BBC One series Ludwig is described as a “comedy drama”.

David Mitchell stars as reclusive puzzle-setter, John ‘Ludwig’ Taylor who sees his life of solitude turned upside down when his identical twin brother, James, disappears without a trace. In a quest to track James down, Ludwig assumes his brother’s identity, but by taking over every aspect of James’s life, Ludwig is forced to confront his own. Unlike Ludwig, James is no hermit; he’s a family man and a highly respected DCI within Cambridge’s busy Major Investigations Team.

These are big shoes to fill for anyone, but for Ludwig playing dad to a ready-made family proves every bit as challenging as tackling the grisliest of crime scenes. However, Ludwig does have one big advantage – his ability to see the world in puzzle form. John may be a master of all things cryptic, but can he crack the biggest puzzle of his life?

Joining Mitchell in the ‘case-of-the-week’ series is Anna Maxwell Martin, as Lucy Betts-Taylor, John’s sister-in-law and wife of his missing brother James; Dipo Ola as DI Russell Carter, Gerran Howell as DC Simon Evans, Izuka Hoyle as DS Alice Finch, Dylan Hughes as Henry Betts-Taylor, Dorothy Atkinson as DCS Carol Shaw, Sophie Willan as Holly Pinder, and Ralph Ineson as Chief Constable Ziegler.

Guest stars in the series include national treasures Derek Jacobi and Felicity Kendal, Rose Ayling-Ellis, Karl Pilkington, Allan Mustafa, Paul Chahidi, and Hammed Animashaun.

p0jj062q.jpg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
BBC Four has confirmed the tranmission date for French crime series, Sambre: Anatomy Of A Crime, which tells the story of the extraordinary legal case of a serial rapist who attacked women across three decades in the same location

In Northern France in the late 1980’s, women are being sexually assaulted along the same road by the Sambre river – with attacks taking place early mornings and in a similar style. The police fail to get to grips with the extent of these assaults or make a connection between the cases. The justice system is overwhelmed by the accumulating cases. It will take 30 years to catch a man, who never stopped attacking women and is responsible for at least 54 cases of rape or sexual assault. Sambre – Anatomy of a Crime is a thriller following the progression of the investigation, its repercussions from the 80s through to 2018 and the beginning of the #metoo era.

The six-part series begins on Saturday 31st August at 9pm.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
BBC Four has confirmed the tranmission date for French crime series, Sambre: Anatomy Of A Crime, which tells the story of the extraordinary legal case of a serial rapist who attacked women across three decades in the same location

In Northern France in the late 1980’s, women are being sexually assaulted along the same road by the Sambre river – with attacks taking place early mornings and in a similar style. The police fail to get to grips with the extent of these assaults or make a connection between the cases. The justice system is overwhelmed by the accumulating cases. It will take 30 years to catch a man, who never stopped attacking women and is responsible for at least 54 cases of rape or sexual assault. Sambre – Anatomy of a Crime is a thriller following the progression of the investigation, its repercussions from the 80s through to 2018 and the beginning of the #metoo era.

The six-part series begins on Saturday 31st August at 9pm.
Thanks @IsiPotG - I appreciate the heads-up on these series

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Those Who Kill .....the always entertaining Danish police procedural is on its way back for a fourth series.

Premiering on Amazon Prime Video in Denmark on 27th September, this new story sees ace profiler Louise Bergstein (Natalie Madueño) and Frederik Havgaard (Simon Sears) assigned to the case of the brutal execution of a young gang member in Copenhagen who had just been released. The murder triggers a spectacular mystery that stretches across Øresund and examines when criminals have actually served their punishment and whether a person’s pursuit of justice can go too far.

Previous series have been on the Beeb so 🤞

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here