Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whatever happened to David Watts?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I was at school with a guy called David Watts some 35 years ago (he would be 47/48 ish now) and he was the biggest Brighton fan imaginable.

He went to every home and most away games even at the age of 11 and would even chant Albion songs in the middle of lessons - something not done in those days!!! An Albion legend even as a youngster! Think he lived in Hove ... would love to know what became of him!

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this the chap?

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa

I am a dull and simple lad
Can not tell water from champagne
And I have never met the queen
And I wish I could have all that he has got
I wish I could be like david watts

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa

And when I lie on my pillow at night
I dream I could fight like david watts
Lead the school team to victory
And take my exams and pass the lot

(wish I could be)
Wish I could be like david watts
(wish I could be)
Wish I could be like david watts
(wish I could be)
Conduct my life like david watts
(wish I could be)

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa

He is the head boy at the school
He is the captain of the team
He is so gay and fancy free
And I wish all his money belonged to me

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa

And all the girls in the neighborhood
Try to go out with david watts
They try their best but can’t succeed
For he is of pure and noble breed

Wish I could be like
Wish I could be like
Wish I could be like

Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa
Fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa-fa
(repeat)
:jester:

WATF0RD ZERO

Jan 22, 2004
fa fa fa fa far far far far

shit beaten to it

Ray Davies - now there is a song writer

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I f***ing LOVE that song :clap:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Is it true that he was head boy, and captain of the first team, despite being so gay and fancy free ?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
CrabtreeBHA said:
I f***ing LOVE that song :clap:

Somewhere in my top 10 punk songs ... but still place Babylon's Burning as the best ever punk single

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
Somewhere in my top 10 punk songs ... but still place Babylon's Burning as the best ever punk single

Staring At The Rude Boys and S.U.S too :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
WATF0RD ZERO said:
Were the Kinks the first punks ? ???

Quite possibly in All the day and all the night and you really got me mode.

Dave Davies was certainly aggressive and psycho enough to give Sid Vicious a good kicking without response. Makes the Gallagher brothers look like nancy boys :)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Titanic said:
The Damned, Clash. and Buzzcocks all appeared in 1976 - alongside the Sex Pistols.

Not sure about the Kinks ?

The Kinks were over 10 years earlier and often referred to as the godfathers of punk .... IMHO the first real punks were Lou Reed and the MC5s .... much later Patti Smith (married to Fred Sonic Smith of the MC5s) and the Ramones kickstarted punk music in the USA

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
On the Left Wing said:
Somewhere in my top 10 punk songs.

'David Watts' - written by Ray Davies, performed by the Kinks and covered by the Jam - a PUNK song?

???

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
On the Left Wing said:
The Kinks were over 10 years earlier and often referred to as the godfathers of punk .... IMHO the first real punks were Lou Reed and the MC5s .... much later Patti Smith (married to Fred Sonic Smith of the MC5s) and the Ramones kickstarted punk music in the USA

The Ramones were the first true punk band, in 1974 (heavily influenced by the Stooges, mind you), but they didn't kick start the scene over there - they were largely ignored in the US. They influenced bands like the Pistols and the Clash and kick-started the punk revolution in the UK - then those bands went over to the US and became more popular than the Ramones, something Johnny in particular was always pissed off about. Go watch 'End of the Century' - it's brilliant.

Patti Smith's 1974 debut single - a version of Hey Joe - is widely rgarded as the first punk record.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Personally I'd rate David Watts, Till the End of the Day, You Really Got me and quite a few other Kinks songs as three chord punk singles (see above)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Trufflehound said:
Patti Smith's 1974 debut single - a version of Hey Joe - is widely rgarded as the first punk record.

"Piss Factory" recorded at the same time is another Patti classic

If you ever get the chance get hold of the bootleg album "Let's Deodorize the Night" .... essential listening!

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
On the Left Wing said:
"Piss Factory" recorded at the same time is another Patti classic

If you ever get the chance get hold of the bootleg album "Let's Deodorize the Night" .... essential listening!

Agreed. Piss Factory was on the B-side of Hey Joe. I'll look out for the bootleg...

Incidentally, for all those who regard the Kinks, MC5 etc as the first punks: the difference is they were all professional musicians with recording contracts with big companies, so they don't fit the punk mould in my books, no matter what their music sounded like.

The Ramones on the other hand were just a bunch of guys who had no talent (at first) and couldn't play their instruments (at first), they just liked hanging out and making a noise, which very much inspired the entire punk ethic.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
there was punk type garage stuff long before that, some early pretty things tracks where quite hard, at least as aggressivle ysounding as early Kinks

till the end of the day - Kinks . . .great song

don't bring me down by the pretty things is excellent too
:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here