Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What would you do?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Something else to add, you have two employers wanting you. Go to the new company but take comfort, confidence, and some pride, in the fact you’re clearly an employable person.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Something else to add, you have two employers wanting you. Go to the new company but take comfort, confidence, and some pride, in the fact you’re clearly an employable person.
Hold your head up high.
And don't be afraid of the dark.

At the end of a storm.
There's a golden sky.
And the sweet silver song of a lark.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021
I've been getting annoyed in my current job and decided to start looking for a new job.

I'm currently a CNC operator but the programmer before me is crap and always causing me issues. I've been telling them for the 20 months that I've been here what they're doing is wrong and nobody was listening.

I've been wanting to get into programming for ages now so decided to start applying for programmer roles in this line of work.

A week ago I was offered a new job at a firm across the road from where I am currently.

So will be going there to design, develop 3D cad models for flattening to be cut on their lasers.

A slightly higher wage and overtime @1.5 instead of my current @1.3. but less overtime available so no increase in money, just a bit more time at home.

So my ideal job basically.

The company over the road and current company are mutual customers of each other. ( I didn't know the new job would be over the road when I applied as through an agency and the interview was all a bit cloak and dagger due to the two companies relationship).

They were worried I was just using them to get a better offer from where I am currently and stated that they'd only offer the job officially once I'd handed my notice in.

I wanted it so handed in my notice. New company phoned current company to explain that they'd offered me a job to smooth things over.

Current company now panicking because I'm leaving and royally pissed off as I'm leaving for a "friend".

Current company now made a counter offer of increased pay (more than the new job) with more overtime available than the new job albeit at a slightly lower rate, and programming the lasers whilst supervising an operator that I'm currently training before I'm due to leave.

But I said I wasn't using new company to get a better offer from current company.

I am generally a man of my word and would have stuck to it but now I've just been offered my ideal role of programming the machines and supervising at the current company.

New company is a general sheet metal firm that has customers in several fields (semiconductor, oil & gas etc so varied work)

Current company does building cladding and makes it own stuff (they did the cladding for the Amex west stand). So mainly 3mm alum panels. So no orders then no work and the company has been struggling a little over the last year or so but have recently won a few big contracts so things are looking a bit better now.

I was going to reject current company offer and I said I'd give them a couple of days then today, the last day they've upped the money side so I don't have a lot of time.

The wife, my mum and some friends have said stay.....

Other friends have said the new company looks more stable and have a healthier order book....

Stay or go?
Do you work for a company in Horsham beginning with B?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Go.

If you stay and your current company has to make staff reductions you are now marked down as "the one who is going to go at some point anyway".

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Having worked in the cnc world for over 25 years and been out of it for about 10 years now I’d say go and get the experience. The only way to really earn money from programming is get a job with someone like Dugards then once you’re in with the customers you can do bespoke programming off line and earn packets

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Go.

If you stay and your current company has to make staff reductions you are now marked down as "the one who is going to go at some point anyway".
Exactly this! I have seen it happen where people have stayed on when offered more wedge by their existing employer. There will always be payback for what they will perceive to be disloyalty.

Hope all goes well in your new job.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I've decided to leave and have officially spoken to current company and turned down their offer.

After talking to the wife at length last night I realised that current company were happy taking the Mick a bit and are now only panicking and offering change after I got too fed up of nothing changing and not being listened too.

I'm going to go and do different more varied work and learn new machines and software packages.

It all adds to the resume.

When I originally went there they blew a bit of smoke up my arse by saying they needed someone who knows what they're doing and to tell them where they were going wrong. Which was great.

So I went in purely as an operator and spent 20 months trying to explain what's going wrong and telling people what to do, in what order, which cutting directions and movement around sheets so it doesn't f*** up and finally got fed up with it.

Looking back on it now I should have gone in as a consultant or lead and not at the bottom of the hierarchy.

Perhaps it's something I may consider in future as the company I'm going to hasn't had their machine long and need experienced guys as its a steep learning curve as my current company have found out.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've decided to leave and have officially spoken to current company and turned down their offer.

After talking to the wife at length last night I realised that current company were happy taking the Mick a bit and are now only panicking and offering change after I got too fed up of nothing changing and not being listened too.

I'm going to go and do different more varied work and learn new machines and software packages.

When I originally went there they blew a bit of smoke up my arse by saying they needed someone who knows what they're doing and to tell them where they were going wrong. Which was great.

So I went in purely as an operator and spent 20 months trying to explain what's going wrong and telling people what to do, in what order, which cutting directions and movement around sheets so it doesn't f*** up and finally got fed up with it.

Looking back on it now I should have gone in as a consultant or lead and not at the bottom of the hierarchy.

Perhaps it's something I may consider in future as the company I'm going to hasn't had their machine long and need experienced guys as its a steep learning curve as my current company have found out.....
I think you've done the right thing @spongy. I always loved and got really excited by changing jobs (and even industries), so much new stuff to learn, new challenges and great opportunities to develop your skills and experiences. It keeps you on your toes and no one really wants to go stale.

Good Luck (y)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Looking back on it now I should have gone in as a consultant or lead and not at the bottom of the hierarchy.g

Well done and good luck - and maybe STFU bitching and whining about your lot on here for, oh I dunno, maybe at least two years or something :moo:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Go. If they didn't listen to you before, they won't listen to you again.

Never stay for an increase in money after resigning. Good companies don't let it get to that state of affairs before they do something and at the end of the day, you are going to spend a lot of hours there.

Good luck (y)
This. If they are only listen to you when under threat of you leaving that’s not great for long term job satisfaction.

20 months of not listening to you is more telling than a reactionary pay rise etc once you hand in your notice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good luck, hope it goes well 👍👍

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Go.

That way you stick to your principles, let no one down, and your current mob might try to poach you in a year or two. If you stay you look weak, unreliable and unprincipled.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Your own words: "I've been telling them for the 20 months that I've been here what they're doing is wrong and nobody was listening." This is about company culture. That's not going to change just because they say it is. You've already done the hard bit, now they're panicking that they should have listened to you, and are only doing so under threat of losing you completely? Leopards don't change their spots, old chap.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For what it is worth I think youve done the right thing. I also think deep down you knew this, but like all of us we sometimes need to verbalise and externalise things to get to the decision. Good luck!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
For what it is worth I think youve done the right thing. I also think deep down you knew this, but like all of us we sometimes need to verbalise and externalise things to get to the decision. Good luck!
I think and hope I have done too. Trouble is I like the company I work for and apart from one dickhead and one who hasn't listened to a word I've said (I've saved the company £000's in spotting mistakes and avoiding remakes, they haven't recognised) I wouldn't hesitate in staying, current company has been fighting for survival recently and unfortunately IMO the people who have the MD's ear are the ones who are making the same consistent mistakes but are untouchable unfortunately. My leaving is making them is seriously look at their processes and structure. They've promised more money and extra responsibility to make what I've said work whilst also giving me the role that I wanted and have now decided to leave for.....

I leapt from the fire into the pan nearly 2 years ago and got really badly burned hence my hesitancy to jump again..... could earn more if I stayed but something doesn't just doesn't sit right with it.

I'm leaving on good terms although they're annoyed but the fact it's taken for me to leave that they've decided to change a lot says a lot about how they do things.

When I've left things may not change as promised and they have the bloke I'm training up and see if they can take their chances and not change and expect him to carry on where I've left off....

There was a comment on here further up about working for both (which isn't possible) but perhaps I should start up my own consultancy? £25 per hour +£100 standard call out fee🤔🤣.

The fact they now have zero experience from the bloke I'm training I could do alright🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here