Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What would you do with £100k+....?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
For me, it totally depends on your likely income in the near future. If you reckon you have a good safe income for a long while, feel free to splurge a bit on nice things. If you're not so confident, I would invest it. Whilst others may differ, personally I'd buy property. For that sum or a ittle over you could buy a flat and have an extra 600-700 a month safe income. But hey, I'm a bit older and no doubt a bit boring, but in these uncertain times income is vital.

Just out of interest TD. Where would you buy the flat to earn £600 - £700. Have you done this yourself? I would like to do something like this but I am not sure if the market is right? Cheers

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just out of interest TD. Where would you buy the flat to earn £600 - £700. Have you done this yourself? I would like to do something like this but I am not sure if the market is right? Cheers

I do indeed have one, down on Ditchling Road. Very (very) small one bed place, that I've had for 7 years and am just putting the rent up to £695 pcm. I have a tenant, but have never had a problem with it being let all the time through an agent. I would guess the market price of the place at the mo, probably about £135k. From my experience it's all about location (familiar story), whilst it's a tiny flat, being just 10 mins walk from the station makes it worth the rent.

Sep 1, 2011
1% = grey goose
1% = adidas trainers
3% = whole new wardrobe
5% = yayo
2% = poland/ukraine 2012
8% = travelling
15% = car
50% = investment
10% = emergency funds
5% = debt

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Answers on a postcard....

No, seriously, anybody following my posts of the past few weeks will know that I am locked into a legal situation which I have to say is becoming a high-class problem.

Having shuffled the pack and re-dealt the cards I believe I am now a lot closer to realising my share of the house which is up for sale.

It should result in approx £108k.

My ideas are as follows:

1. Nice car. Need to treat myself after a long time without one and many years since having a car of any sorts. Looking at Suzuki Swift in a while and have already earmarked an Audi A3.

2. White van. Yes you've guessed it. I am joining the ranks of 'white van man'. I promise I do not smoke or read the Sun.

3. Nice Tv/Multimedia system.

4. Payment to mother for years of 'relying on ya ma'. This is not a pay-off more a thank you for putting up with me and my chaotic lifestyle over the years. I have just removed all my furniture and possessions that were incidentally stored in the bedroom I lived in as a kid and up to age 26.

5. A holiday home. Looked at Haven holiday home at Church Farm Pagham. Good deal there but may invest in one at a site near Poole, Dorset. One of my favourite parts of the UK. The Dorset coastline, Bournemouth, Swanage etc all within easy reach. This will be for personal, family and rental use.

6. Maybe purchase my friends council place and become his landlord, therefore claiming the HB he is entitled to.

Believe it or not, there's still some left over.

How would you spend it?

Without telling my wife I've got it!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do indeed have one, down on Ditchling Road. Very (very) small one bed place, that I've had for 7 years and am just putting the rent up to £695 pcm. I have a tenant, but have never had a problem with it being let all the time through an agent. I would guess the market price of the place at the mo, probably about £135k. From my experience it's all about location (familiar story), whilst it's a tiny flat, being just 10 mins walk from the station makes it worth the rent.

Thank you Tricky Dicky, appreciated :thumbsup:

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Buy a house. Being screwed by the renting market/baby boomer generation mean a windfall like that is pretty much the only way I'd be able to for the foreseeable.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Invest in a property where the market is improving, if it doesn't you still have a holiday home. Preferably abroad though.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I take it you dont live in Leeds or never have, that must be the worst investment ever!

Also with investment property your yield will never be that high, after taxes, repairs, and you have a tenant who is either bad, or you are empty for 1 month you then have 0% yield without any extra costs for damages etc

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Answers on a postcard....

No, seriously, anybody following my posts of the past few weeks will know that I am locked into a legal situation which I have to say is becoming a high-class problem.

Having shuffled the pack and re-dealt the cards I believe I am now a lot closer to realising my share of the house which is up for sale.

It should result in approx £108k.

My ideas are as follows:

1. Nice car. Need to treat myself after a long time without one and many years since having a car of any sorts. Looking at Suzuki Swift in a while and have already earmarked an Audi A3.

2. White van. Yes you've guessed it. I am joining the ranks of 'white van man'. I promise I do not smoke or read the Sun.

3. Nice Tv/Multimedia system.

4. Payment to mother for years of 'relying on ya ma'. This is not a pay-off more a thank you for putting up with me and my chaotic lifestyle over the years. I have just removed all my furniture and possessions that were incidentally stored in the bedroom I lived in as a kid and up to age 26.

5. A holiday home. Looked at Haven holiday home at Church Farm Pagham. Good deal there but may invest in one at a site near Poole, Dorset. One of my favourite parts of the UK. The Dorset coastline, Bournemouth, Swanage etc all within easy reach. This will be for personal, family and rental use.

6. Maybe purchase my friends council place and become his landlord, therefore claiming the HB he is entitled to.

Believe it or not, there's still some left over.

How would you spend it?

Keep me in beer money for the weekend!!

pintsawhiskey

Apr 17, 2010
bn1
I take it you dont live in Leeds or never have, that must be the worst investment ever!

Also with investment property your yield will never be that high, after taxes, repairs, and you have a tenant who is either bad, or you are empty for 1 month you then have 0% yield without any extra costs for damages etc

No it's a shit hole wouldn't want to live there, but I've done alright out of it! Rent through a agent who only do DSS, get rent paid direct and in 7 years never had a problem getting paid. You could get aground, but I have had agro in Brighton with tenants saying ther earning £100,000 a year

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im with the 80/20 split some suggest. buy a older Porsche 911 for 15-20k, dont depreciate much, then a fat deposit on a rental flat, or to live in yourself of course. probably keep a few k spare for a holiday/good time/not have to worry money.

and a round for all of NSC giving you such great advise :drink: :lolol:

enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
80/20 split sounds great!20% down the pub & invest the rest in high-class prostitutes!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'd blow a large portion on high class hookers, Las Vegas, Cocaine and some serious fast living.

Whatever is left over the wife and kids can have.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Premium bonds X30k

Buy a race horse.

...and a porsche.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here