Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What word did MM use to describe Leon Knight

What word did McGhee use to describe Leon Knight?

• Inert

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Inept

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Inebriated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Iguana

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Inch High Private Eye

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Imelda Marcos

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It says one thing on the official site yet some NSC'ers seem to think a different word was used.........

Inkerman

Sep 3, 2003
Berkshire
What ever word was used I wonder if the fact that he has now been diagnosed as having tonsilitis has something to do with his lethargy on Tuesday?

Even before the tonsilitis thing, McGhee said he was giving Leon the benefit of the doubt re. Brentford because of the suspension. The Tuesday inept story is now as dead as the Norwegian Blue - thankfully! - and so therefore is the point of this poll too. Of course McGhee's delicate struggle to get the best out of Leon goes on. But let's put that in the proper perspective and not over-hype it.

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
London Irish said:
Even before the tonsilitis thing, McGhee said he was giving Leon the benefit of the doubt re. Brentford because of the suspension.
What he said on Southern Counties Radio, crucially in answer to a question about why Jake replaced Leon against Brentford, was: "I thought that Leon was totally inept/inert. I mean I think that he's come back from a suspension, I've given him the benefit of the doubt and I was looking for someone you know to give us a bit more life up front (ie, Jake)."

In other words, he gave Leon the benefit of the doubt by starting him against Brentford, but Leon then lost the benefit of the doubt through his inept/inert performance. That is why Jake replaced him.

Now Leon may or may not have the benefit of the doubt again as his inept/inert performance may have been due to tonsillitis.

Glad we've cleared that up ;)

Last edited:

No. The way you interpreted it was the widespread view after match. But guess what, we were all wrong. Both journos and fans were hyping a story by misreading McGhee's comments. In fact, the jounos did much better because they went back to McGhee and CHECKED what he actually said.

What McGhee meant was:

Leon was ineffective tonight. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this because he's just been though a suspension and was therefore not 100%. I brought on Jake to remedy this.

Of course you might think McGhee is involved in post-hoc rationalisation. I think that's fanciful. He's too experienced a manager to have blurted out something he didn't mean to say.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
London Irish said:
The Tuesday inept story is now as dead as the Norwegian Blue - thankfully! - and so therefore is the point of this poll too.

The point of the poll was to provide me with a distraction from the answers to the tedious exam that I have been writing for the last couple of weeks. However if Prescott says 'No' I will go into such a turbo-sulk that I will totally re-write the paper and make it so difficult that Steven Hawking, Galileo and Albert Einstein combined will be unable to get double figures

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
How come he says that enept and yet also says i'll give him the benefit of the doubt as he missed 1 game through suspension mmm,so missing 1 game makes you rusty does it.:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here