Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Wine is for Girls

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I very partial to Rose, especially Spanish ones.

I've also had very chilled Red Wine in Southern Spain, which the locals lap up.

The few Guardian Reading Brits you see down there experiencing a "real" Spanish beach holiday are very confused by this behaivour.

I've had a few and it's very nice indeed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I tell you what I DON'T like - Blossom Hill -Yuck!

With reds you can't go wrong with a Rioja, I tend to go for a Crianza, Faustino, otherwise a Chianti Classico or cheeky Valpolicella.

I'm also partial to a Bordeaux, and if I'm drinking white then a very chilled Pinot Grigio.

I'm not into New World wines - can any of you wine buffs out there recommend anything REALLY good I might be missing out on?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I like wine that doesn't make me sound like a pretentious twat by using words like robust

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I tell you what I DON'T like - Blossom Hill -Yuck!

With reds you can't go wrong with a Rioja, I tend to go for a Crianza, Faustino, otherwise a Chianti Classico or cheeky Valpolicella.

I'm also partial to a Bordeaux, and if I'm drinking white then a very chilled Pinot Grigio.

I'm not into New World wines - can any of you wine buffs out there recommend anything REALLY good I might be missing out on?

http://www.vergelgen.co.za

Been to Seth Efrica twice, friends recommended this place first time around and we made a point of going back for a second visit when down in the Cape a couple of years ago.

Award winning wines especially the Red/V/Mill Race Cabernet/Merlot blends - very difficult to get hold of these & the Reserve stuff in the UK unfortunately.

Sainsburys had their non-reserve Chardonay for a while and Tesco of all people their non-reserve Sauvignon Blanc but they are not their best examples by a long way.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Living, as I do, in the Languedoc region of South west France, over the last ten years have over-invibed to the extent of showing a poorly liver after a blood test for something else. So having initially stated how cheap fags and wine were (past tense) over here, now don't do either.
However, can't beat a good Corbieres/Minervois.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Surprisingly, the Co-op do a good range of wines. Two of my faves are Fab Cab and Vine Tree (both reds, about four squids a bottle)

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Don't like wine myself, so stay clear.

US, very much into Alcohol threads with this and the "how much beer do you drink".
Do you have concerns over your personal intake ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
With fish - Mersault
With salad - sauvignon blanc, preferably one from Marlborough Hills region 2003, or a crisp little number from the Sancerre region
With beef - a decent cabernet sauvignon or merlot
With cheese - Harvey's Tom Paine (cheese and wine is so vulgar)

For special occasions - Brunello di Montalcino 2001

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Aldi do some very good wines at reasonable prices. Try their Chilean Red Merlot at £3.99. Many Aussie and New Zealand wines are excellent as well.

If you have the money try the Aloxe Corton, superb, and recommended by Basil Fawlty.:)

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
for everyday drinking nothing beats a decent burgundy, my own favourite being a savigny-les-beaune or cote challonaise.
for big hearty meals aclassic bordeaux: st emilion/montagne/margaux
for whites a sancerre or chablis premier cru
roses chateau de sours or a sancerre
new world wines are too heady and alcoholic for my liking

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Surprisingly, the Co-op do a good range of wines. Two of my faves are Fab Cab and Vine Tree (both reds, about four squids a bottle)

Watch out for Co-Op special offer wines.... urgh!

If you see a .......Rosemount, normally £8.99 reduced to £4.49 I will guarantee that it is 3 or 4 years old and well past its best.

Be warned!

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
With fish - Mersault
With salad - sauvignon blanc, preferably one from Marlborough Hills region 2003, or a crisp little number from the Sancerre region
With beef - a decent cabernet sauvignon or merlot
With cheese - Harvey's Tom Paine (cheese and wine is so vulgar)

For special occasions - Brunello di Montalcino 2001

so you'd have a fish starter with a mersault (very nice), a beef main course with a merlot, a salad with a sauvignon blanc, and then finish off with cheese and a beer!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
While we're talking about wines, I'm going to put in a shameless plug (sorry, Bozza) for a good friend of mine's new-ish wine shop in The Lanes.

Sheridan Cooper's is next door to Gars on Prince Albert Street. Knowledgeable people - including an absolute honey called Victoria who used to work at Ridgeview - who can help you choose the appropriate wine for the appropriate occasion.

Their motto - 'Life is too short to be wasted on cheap wine...'

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
so you'd have a fish starter with a mersault (very nice), a beef main course with a merlot, a salad with a sauvignon blanc, and then finish off with cheese and a beer!!

Oooh, doubt it, that's quite a nasty mix.

I'd have to get through a few cream crackers in between courses for that.

I was thinking more mersault for breakfast, merlot for lunch, sauvignon blanc for supper and a cheese and beer nightcap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here