Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

what were you doing 42 years ago today

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I didn't really find out until the following morning - it happened after my bedtime.

I remember my mum and dad being quite upset though.

Dandyman

In London village.
Moving quietly but quickly away from a grassy knoll.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Probably watching "Watch With Mother" in black and white - if the TV had warmed up in time.

I was 17 months old.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Hiney said:
I was at school, probably drinking milk

:lolol: :lolol:
I was at home, probably drinking milk

;) ;) :lolol: :lolol:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It was a Friday night and my elder sister's 12th birthday. I was getting ready for a bath when the news came through around 8pm.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
About to pop out of my mummies tummy. I did on the 23rd and they have been trying to put me back to this day!

:glare:

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
simonsimon said:
Shopping in Key Markets LANCING aged 9.

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:
Key Markets was around then?
I know it was key Markets when I was a lad but I didn't realise it went back that far.
I wasn't alive BTW. for the original question.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i was dreading my 3rd christmas.....as a kid i was shit scared of men with beards and hats, christmas was not a happy time for me!:lolol:

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I feel guilty to this day about it, but what I mostly remeber was missing a school treat -- the local parish Christmas bazaar.

I was in the first grade, and the grades were going in order from eighth to first. My brother went the day before, and was wild about it-- his grab bag was most awesome. It was scheduled for the last two hours of the day. Sister had us lined up in our coats and ready to walk over when the news came through.... I was livid, but also old enough not to let on. And all those grown-ups crying was, well, kind of creepy.

We had summered in Washington the year before, taken the White House tour, gone out to Andrews AFB to see JFK fly out on one of his trips. I am supposed to have shaken the great man's hand on a rope line at some point, but nerves then, and the passage of time has left the memory hazy.

It would be difficult to exaggerate what a blow the assassination was in Boston Irish Catholic circles...

I personally consider Bobby's death a far greater catastrophe...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I heard about it when the news came on the tv. I was doing my homework for my GCEs

Alby

Jan 4, 2005
West Sussex
sully said:
Probably watching "Watch With Mother" in black and white - if the TV had warmed up in time.

I was 17 months old.

Probably doing something similar aged 2 years and 7 months !

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here