Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were you doing 15 years ago today?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
probably the most chilled out person in Sussex , watching Grandstand at the start of the match , fell asleep with it on and woke up at full time!!

BarnhamBlue

Feb 15, 2012
Yapton
Too nervous to go, too nervous to listen to the radio and too nervous to watch the TV. So i decided to do some DIY to pass the time, electrocuted myself whilst drilling and ended up in hospital !!! Found out result approx 10 mins after final whistle, nothing else mattered. At least i kept myself busy.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Me and the Mrs drove down to Hereford from Leeds. It was a very nervous day. Stopped of at Tamworth service station for a bite to eat. Just my luck that Cardiff were away to Darlington that day in Div 3 and also wanted a snack or two. I remember getting some grief from them for awhile. Thing was I just couldn't eat the English breakfast that I had ordered, I was that nervous. Infact I felt sick to my stomach.

Eventually got to Hereford. saw loads of Brighton fans outside a pub near a roundabout and we had a drink there. After that, parked the car and took out anything that had blue on it. Later, I knew of several Brighton fans cars being damaged. Mine with Leeds number plates was spared.

That game was just awful. Awful skill wise, but awful fearing the worse. Believe me, I couldn't see the Albion surviving conference football at Gillingham.

When the final whistle went everyone went bonkers and i remember saying to the Mrs that it didn't matter what Brighton did in the future, it wouldn't beat the feeling of total joy and relief. And that still holds true today. Remember hearing wonderwall being played in the ground after the game and the Albion fans singing it really loudly.........so hearing that song today always makes me happy.

I regret not staying over in Brighton now, but I went out in Wetherby with my shirt on and a few people congratulated me (after realising that I didn't support Sheff weds nor Huddersfield).

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I was lying on the floor of a peckham bedsit with a broken ankle from 3-4.45pm screaming at the radio. All I remember is the half-time report where the reporter said that if we carried on playing like this we'd be playing conference football next season and wanting to punch him, the report when the goal went in and punching the fridge in celebration when they said it had ended 1-1. I also seem to remember, and someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, some bizarre interview with somebody in the Hereford camp who said that their wife and daugher had recently died but this was the worst day of his life and the reporter apologising for having broadcast the interview. All very odd.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I was serving in the pub until 2pm, then my brother and I headed off on the 30 minute drive to Hereford. We had tickets for the home seats (the away end had sold out weeks before). Horrible, horrible match with the sweetest of endings.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
About now me and my lads had met my mate and his lad at The Green Man, some real ale pub near Hereford, and had just left. Bumped into some guy with an FA jacket on in the pub car park - turned out to be Neil Barry, the ref, who had stayed there the previous night.
Did not feel like eating nor drinking, just a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and shivers down my spine.
There you go - I have just regressed 15 years as though it was yesterday, and have had to sit down to recover.
(For later experiemces read Half time at Hereford, where I was 'Midland Seagull')

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
God what day! Anyone here on the minibus that only just got there, but then gave up the ghost completely on the way home? Think there was about 15 or 16 of us had to get taxi's back from Reading services. If I remember rightly (all a bit hazy now), the driver was actually a Palace fan who stayed completely sober all day, and didn't even go in to watch the match! Got home about 7am next day, just ever so slightly pissed :lolol:

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
On the phone to my Grandfather, he turned the volume up on his radio and I listened to the 2nd half. I was living in Taunton and couldn't bear just the occasional update on Sky Sports News.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here