Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were the "house names" in your school?

At the Tunbridge Wells Technical High School For Boys (aka "the 'Tech", now more grandly Tunbridge Wells Grammar School) we had Scott, Hudson, Newton and Faraday. Guess that they couldn't decide whether to go for explorers or scientists and compromised on half and half.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
At my school they were all named after local Surrey stately homes and manors:

Tenchleys
Stocketts
Detillens
Grants
Foyles

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
mmmm, good question. We had blocks A, B, C, D, E and F. A was Arundle, C was Calais, D was Dieppe, E was Eclipse and F was Falais.

I'm not sure what the link is. I cannot recall any French town being named Eclipse.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Ditto

Red - Arundel
Yellow - Bramber
Green - Hastings
Blue - Lewes

Yeah, Glebe too. Watched a program about genius kids tonight, and one of them had a "merit" badge. That brought back memories of Friday afternoon assemblies, when they were handed out. Not that I ever got one. Or a "conduct" badge. I always lost house points for Lewes. :(

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
At the Tunbridge Wells Technical High School For Boys (aka "the 'Tech", now more grandly Tunbridge Wells Grammar School) we had Scott, Hudson, Newton and Faraday. Guess that they couldn't decide whether to go for explorers or scientists and compromised on half and half.

Every one in TW still calls it Tech.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
...and what was that all about?

At Durrington First we had names of Scottish islands.

Jura, Barra, Isla ...and another one. (we had a Jock headmaster called Cable-Robbie who was quite mad and very Scottish in a Sean Connery kind of way)

At Durrington Middle we were named after Sussex houses

Parham, Petworth, Goodwood...and another one :dunce:

At Durrington High we just had X, Y and Z. How dull was that?

(probably about as dull as this thread)

I don't remember having house names in Durrington First, but I was in Petworth at DMS - what one were you in?

I've got a vague memory that after we left they changed the house names at DMS to Jura etc or maybe I'm old and confused! :)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Named after Sussex beacons
Caburn
Ditchling
Firle
Wolstenbury.

Also earlier school had Drake, Lawrence & Livingstone, famous explorers.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
St Lawrence in Hurstpierpoint went with Pakyns (Green, and the best), Danny (Blue), Langton (Red) and Wickham (Yellow). All are the names of big-ish houses in HPP, except Langton which is a lane.

Blimey, well remembered! Pretty sure I was in Danny.

I was then uprooted to Cornwall and for the 2 years I was still in Primary school it was just Red (for which I was captain and a winning one at that :)) and Blue.

Secondary school houses were all named after Cornish tin mines - Bottallack (me), Crofty, Levant and Geevor. We won the house cup about 3 of the 5 years I was there.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Westlain Grammar - I was in Firle!

Last intake before it joined up with Stanmer SM to become Falmer High in '72!!

yep, i was in Wolstenbury, trust them to give me the most difficult to spell.

I would have been there for a while with you, but you would have just been a whippersnapper of a saucepanlid whereas i was a big boy.

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here